Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Where to dispose of ashes.

(53 Posts)
Nellsmum Wed 02-Dec-20 14:50:16

When my father died in 2004 Mum kept his ashes and would shout at them if anything went wrong. Then when she moved in with my sister they went with her. Now Mum has died and I have her ashes. There is no family grave and my father wasn't particularly fond of graveyards. No family home or garden. Any ideas on what to do with the ashes? I would like them to be together but I don't think my sister is too fussed.

Knittynatter Thu 31-Dec-20 04:42:32

I have Mum’s ashes (in the space under my bed). When she died 23 years ago Dad gave me explicit instructions on where they should be scattered, together with Dad’s when his time came.
Then he remarried, and the woodland walk was developed into a housing estate..... When my sister died Dad asked if I would scatter mum’s ashes with her, but my brother in law went off quietly to scatter sis in a place that they loved and didn’t tell me for ages.
Dad died and his widow requested that he he be left at the crem - which was just a field when Mum died!
So it looks like she’s waiting for me. I live a long way from where I was brought up so she doesn’t know this area very well but at least she won’t be alone.

grannysyb Thu 31-Dec-20 09:36:58

A friend left money in her will to be made into fireworks, she was sent up into the sky on a frosty evening in the grounds of a minor stately home, accompanied by the Handel, the Music for the Royal Fireworks!