Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Sunday, bloody Sunday!

(124 Posts)
MawBe Sun 23-May-21 08:51:27

Does anybody else find Sundays the worst when you are on your own?
Somehow weekends seem particularly hard but Sunday even more so as it is traditionally a “family” day - a “couples” day , not one for coffee with a girlfriend or a soup and bread lunch.
On your own you have to be prepared to take the initiative or offer the invitation, but somehow that’s harder when everybody “seems” (I know they’re not!) to be off out for a family Sunday roast.
Lunch at the pub? Trailing round a shop? Hardly.
It just isn’t as hard on weekdays .

Lillian40 Sat 29-May-21 19:34:34

Yes I also dislike Sundays, I am a widow and my son and daughter live hundreds of miles away. I am now 81 but active and healthy, I walk a few miles every week and visit shops. Sadly my friends have either died or have Alzheimer's. I know I am very fortunate but it is lonely. In the week I keep busy, with domestic jobs around the house and do gardening. I do read and belong to a book group at the library. I do jigsaws, I email a friend in USA and belong to Gransnet. I am occupied all the time. But Sunday is definitely a family day.

Chardy Wed 26-May-21 17:01:28

halfpint1

Finding Sundays Hard

Sorry that was the title on the Trending List, no mention
of it being only for Bereavement

However surely tackling 'lonely Sundays' is the better for all
circumstances and contributions

I'm sure that Sundays can be difficult for anyone who lives alone.
Imo it's planning required - like the suggestion of catch-up TV, or saving up what's been recorded during the week. Personally I love sport, so I look ahead to see what's on.
We've got quite good at being cooped up in lockdown, Netflix and Amazon Prime have made a lot of money out if it.

inthewrongroom Wed 26-May-21 13:34:02

There is a "Nextdoor" group that operates on the value of getting to know your neighbours or people in your area in the way people used to knock on someones door; for sugar/flour/watch the kids whilst I go to the shop etc: but through a computer network - I think it originated in the USA but I am in the UK and joined this a couple of years ago. There are many posts from people who are alone and receive many kind offers of walks together or a coffee or get your shopping if you like, some have offered meals together ... it is a very friendly & open network with people actually on your doorstep. Just a suggestion. You are not alone.

Ydoc Wed 26-May-21 12:55:02

grandaisy
Where are you in Hertfordshire? I am in Bedfordshire

Ydoc Wed 26-May-21 12:51:09

I think there are many situations where the day is hard to get through. I am not happily married , so very difficult for me to spend to much time at home anyway. Since losing mum ive had depression so i struggle every day to be honest. Sunday is a day that even more i have to be out.

Mamma66 Wed 26-May-21 06:58:06

If there is a CVS in your area why not give them a call or look at their website? I work for an equivalent organisation to a CVS and we run many groups hopefully to appeal to a wide range of interests. Many of those who attend are bereaved and have gone on to form really solid friendships with other people attending the group, with volunteers and staff. One lady not only attends the groups but has become one of our most active volunteers. She is in her 80s and whilst her mobility is limited she is a champion knitter and makes twiddle mitts, little hats and teddies, she has taught loads of others to knit and is so proud (quite rightly) of what she has done to support the local community. They all ring each other up for a natter and to check on everyone and a couple of them have said it has changed their lives. Sometimes it only takes one little step and a moment of courage. I know it’s daunting, but if you can take that first step it can be so worth it. Wishing you well ?

CanadianGran Tue 25-May-21 22:13:49

I feel bad for all you grieving loved ones and having lonely days. That is not my circumstance, but my sister is recently bereaved and feeling really lonely. A few times she has said she tries to sleep in so the day doesn't feel as long. That is so sad and my heart breaks for her.

I am phoning more often than I did before. We live on opposite ends of the country, so I can't visit. I think Sundays are ok for her since her son comes for a visit and she can at least make a decent meal and send him home with leftovers, but she feels lost and without purpose now.

So perhaps we all need to reach out and make that phone call to someone who we know is alone or feeling lonely, or ask someone to go for a walk or out for coffee. flowers

Cathie72 Tue 25-May-21 21:51:18

I am so sorry you have not found a welcoming Church yet. Most I find are fantastic at making folk feel at home or helping them find friends etc Sometimes it hard not to be too welcoming and suffocating to new folk and so put people off!
At present Church has been a lonely place for anyone to go to as you cannot really be together as you normally are. Sometimes I rather stay at home and watch on Zoom.
So many Churches are on Zoom or U Tube and you if you are familiar with such tech you could look up local ones on their websites and observe a service It would give you a good idea what they are like. Please don't give up.
I am a single person with lots of friends and foster families around me but understand how you feel on Sundays when others need to be with their own families. I find the answer is to be brave and ask folk in similar situations to join me in a walk, an afternoon tea out, or if you are happy to offer hospitality in your home do so We all look for someone else to make the first move. My very best wishes.

travelsafar Tue 25-May-21 20:44:18

I can recommend taking up bowling.
Matches are played at weekends and midweek too. It's a sport that is gentle, fun and a great way to make friends and meet new people and it doesn't matter if you go alone you will put into a different team each match depending on ability. Nothing nicer than being out on the green on a sunny afternoon with like minded people. Sadly I can no longer play due to my current mobility issues, but I am the club secretary so still involved and its very pleasant to go watch your club play and most clubs always need volunteers to help with match teas. In my local area we have several clubs and I know many of them with large clubhouses and bars run quiz nights and other social activities during the winter months.

Susieq62 Tue 25-May-21 20:11:00

I too hate Sundays and I have a partner! Is there a walking group you could join? Go for a swim? Or do chores on Sunday instead of the weekday?
My father , who lived alone, gave himself a task every Sunday to catch up on. He lived 250 miles from me so could not come to lunch. My mum did live near so she came most Sundays but again, left herself jobs to complete. If you have single friends, invite them to lunch / dinner or take it in turns.

Graygirl Tue 25-May-21 19:51:59

Someone I know has turned Sunday into her day, lounge wear only for that day, catch up tv at least 6hours , food everything from smoked salmon from freezer to takeaway delivered. Finishes day with long hot soak .

Pizzle Tue 25-May-21 18:06:59

First, I should say that I am neither a gran, nor a mum, and I do have a partner - so really, you would think, not very qualified to understand what you are going through MawBe. However, I do get what you are saying. Yes, of course we can suggest going to church, to the shops, to a museum, out for a walk, meet with a friend, visit family etc etc etc, but this just doesn’t change the feeling that Sundays are different to all other days of the week, it just means you are filling up the hours with something to do. Sunday is still there underneath it all. And that feeling doesn’t go away no matter what you do with yourself for the day. Yes, you may enjoy your outing, tea, meal etc, but it is still Sunday. I think it is partly because on Mondays to Fridays employed people are doing their jobs, controlled by others, earning their living, making the world go round, but at the weekend they can do as they please - we all do - but those of us with partners do it without noticing how these two days - and Sundays in particular - feel for those who are alone or have lost their life partners, be it through divorce or bereavement. I was on my own for many years - and happily so - but still found weekends, bank holidays, Christmas, etc a bit weird. There is a strange feeling of everyone else having a great time with their loved ones and you’re not a member of that particular club. You feel alone no matter what you do or don’t do. So I do get it, but sadly I have no remedy, just sympathy and understanding for how you are feeling. flowers

Mealybug Tue 25-May-21 17:24:51

Could you meet up with someone locally in a similar position and spend a couple of hours together on a Sunday afternoon, do alternate lunches, visit the garden centre, help out at a rescue centre or just walking etc.

BlueSapphire Tue 25-May-21 17:13:04

Maw, I've only just found this thread and I know exactly what you mean. And how given that all days of the week have 24 hours, why is it that Sunday always seems to have 48?
In pre Covid days I always made a point of doing something on a Sunday, like a trip to the cinema just to fill a few hours, and then it didn't seem quite so bad. But the last 15 months have been horrendous; I know I am lucky in that my DD quite often invites me to stay, but that almost makes Sundays on my own feel worse.
Nobody to do nothing with is a very good description of how it feels.

Diane7 Tue 25-May-21 16:43:07

Lookup 'Meetup groups'. I moved to a new area where I only knew my daughter. I joined 2 of these groups, 1 was 'ladies who lunch' where I have met some lovely people.

Greciangirl Tue 25-May-21 15:41:26

I once found myself feeling lonely and bored and not just on Sunday’s.

Where I live, there is an online neighbourhood chat site where you can ask for recommendations and just about anything you want to know.
So, I asked if anyone would like to go walking, locally.
I had a reply from a very nice lady and we are still walking together a few years on.
Do have a look and find out what’s going on virtually.

KayKay Tue 25-May-21 15:03:31

A bit of planning may help. Ask a friend to go somewhere with you next Sunday.
Im on my own and I know if I dont make something happen, it probably won't.
I may plan a gardening afternoon or knitting and listening to a podcast.
Being proactive and flexible works.

b1zzle Tue 25-May-21 15:00:39

How reassuring to know I'm not alone in hating Sundays. I've often thought that if I was ever in a coma and woke up on a
Sunday, then I'd instantly know what day it was. There is something about Sundays that has a completely different feel to the rest of the week. At the moment I stream a church service in the morning but am then at a loss to know what to do with myself. Hibernating until Monday seems the best choice because no one else seems to be about on a Sunday afternoon for some reason.

Tickledpink Tue 25-May-21 14:25:16

I understand about Sundays, but each day is a blessing. Each day counts as we really don't know what's around the corner.

grandaisy Tue 25-May-21 14:14:02

I also now struggle with Sunday’s. I live alone, DH has dementia and has been in a home for two years. Visiting has not been possible and although I have my children living locally they have their own lives. I have to relocate two years ago so also lost local friends and had to find a new church. I live in Hertfordshire if anyone lives in the general area and would like coffee one Sunday let me know.

rjack Tue 25-May-21 13:43:04

The highlight for me on a Sunday at the moment is Call the Midwife which is televised at 8pm. on a Sunday.

Legs55 Tue 25-May-21 13:42:15

I have been widowed for 8 years after losing my DH to cancer only 2 months after he was diagnosed. I am happy on my own & unlike many of you I love Sundays.

I have my papers delivered & enjoy reading them from cover to cover, doing the crosswords & sudoku. I don't plan to do anything else, sometimes I spend time in my garden, sometimes I do some housework.

I'm not too bothered about eating out but I do occasionally join other members of my Meet Up group for Lunch out.

I love my own company although of course I miss DH but I still have a lot of life to live (I'm almost 66). I don't work due to ill health.

I'm sorry to hear so many of you struggle with Sundays flowers

halfpint1 Tue 25-May-21 13:37:02

Finding Sundays Hard

Sorry that was the title on the Trending List, no mention
of it being only for Bereavement

However surely tackling 'lonely Sundays' is the better for all
circumstances and contributions

Nanamar Tue 25-May-21 13:33:35

I was just thinking the same thing - how hard Sundays are and will be - but react differently. DH died two months ago on a Sunday and I find I just have to hole up and withdraw that day of the week. I actually don’t want to socialize or even chat on the phone. We were both retired so Sunday wasn’t really that different from any other day for us, but now it’s a day that I do whatever I can to either distract or comfort myself. And I read Elly Griffiths as well.

Sueki44 Tue 25-May-21 13:01:12

It keeps being mentioned that this is a bereavement thread but in fact it comes up as a general trending thread. I had no idea it was a bereavement topic when I started reading and I’m sure many others didn’t realise either. Sympathy to all affected.