Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Golden wedding

(35 Posts)
SusieB50 Fri 04-Jun-21 22:25:14

Tomorrow would have been our golden wedding anniversary.
My DH died nearly 18 months ago so no celebration. We never really did much with the family for our WA but usually had a holiday around this time . So I doubt if anyone will remember except me . Feeling sad and lonely tonight . I will buy some flowers tomorrow I think, and raise a glass.

MawBe Fri 04-Jun-21 22:37:49

I will be happy to raise a glass to you ?
Just because you lost him last year does not wipe out the many (I hope) happy years you spent together. It’s not the wedding, it’s the marriage
Ours “was” last summer, DH died in November 2017 but I still consider myself married to him.
I organised a family lunch in the garden,(it rained, but so it did on our wedding day, and blew a gale) I included my bridesmaids, (his sisters ) although I did not in fact invite DH’s best man as I wanted it just to be the extended family.
There was and is much to celebrate.
I hope your family will remember (perhaps a gentle nudge?) but it is really about the 2 of you and the years you had together.
There is a Jewish saying
“Say not in grief that he is no more
But live in thankfulness that he was”

ixion Fri 04-Jun-21 22:42:27

Please let us share your day tomorrow- there are many here to keep you company. You need not be alone.
?

Lostatsea Fri 04-Jun-21 22:42:36

I am so sorry that your dear husband is not by your side on this precious day but you hold so many precious memories and you know what it is to be loved over a lifetime. You have been of huge significance to your husband and although his loss has bought you sadness you have known real love. Thinking of you and I will raise a glass to you. ??

cornergran Fri 04-Jun-21 22:44:07

If we may a glass will be raised here to you both tomorrow susieb50. Perhaps as maw suggests a gentle reminder to family, their loving if distant support will then be with you. Sending love.

hulahoop Fri 04-Jun-21 22:50:38

I will raise a glass for you you must have lots of precious memories.??

SusieB50 Fri 04-Jun-21 23:06:38

Thank you “MawBe” a lovely saying . We had good times and bad but now only remember the good ones ,which is good . Both my AC and their families are busy tomorrow , they may remember but I don’t want to nudge them as they will feel bad they can’t be with me . My sister may remember and phone me as she was my bridesmaid.

GrannyOwl5 Fri 04-Jun-21 23:13:48

I too will raise a glass to you both tomorrow on your special day; hopefully you will draw some comfort from golden memories of your life together. You are not alone ??

SusieB50 Fri 04-Jun-21 23:14:46

Thank you all - the fizz will be flowing ? ?

V3ra Sat 05-Jun-21 07:26:58

SusieB50 a happy Golden Wedding anniversary to you today.
I hope the sun is shining and you enjoy reminiscing over the many years you and your husband spent together.
Maybe you'd like to tell us about one of the holidays you normally took at this time?

Jaxjacky Sat 05-Jun-21 07:50:55

My glass will be raised to you both later SusieB50, special memories.
?

Beechnut Sat 05-Jun-21 07:53:07

Happy Golden Wedding anniversary SusieB50. I hope you have a lovely day ?

dragonfly46 Sat 05-Jun-21 08:04:12

Happy Golden Wedding SusieB50 enjoy your good memories.

Witzend Sat 05-Jun-21 08:09:13

???
I hope someone else in the family will remember with you. X

EllanVannin Sat 05-Jun-21 08:12:10

Pour yourself an extra glass Susie and drink in all your memories. winewine flowers x

Luckygirl Sat 05-Jun-21 08:16:16

Warm thoughts winging your way on this special day. I too celebrated a Golden Wedding in August last year just months after my husband died. We used to have big family celebrations on landmark anniversaries so it felt strange for it to be just another day.

But that it is only on the outside - inside I know you will have many happy memories to hold in mind, and I hope you can treasure these.

flowers

Alygran Sat 05-Jun-21 08:25:01

I will raise a glass to you too. Enjoy your memories.

Elizabeth1 Sat 05-Jun-21 08:26:03

susieb50 So sorry your DH is no longer with you to celebrate this momentous occasion you’ll have so many many memories of him lots of love from me to you sending hugs flowers

honeyrose Sat 05-Jun-21 08:32:24

Ah Susie - today won’t be the same without your lovely husband by your side, of course, but I hope you can have lots of reminiscing of your special memories. Thinking of you. And I’ll raise a glass. ?

MawBe Sat 05-Jun-21 08:41:36

Susieb and your DH ?? and the flowers you deserve

SusieB50 Sat 05-Jun-21 08:45:15

Thank you all , both AC have sent me kind messages already bless them .V3ra Our holidays were simple , but highly organised by DH ( lots of lists!) usually driving and exploring France which was DH’s favourite place and staying in gîtes . Sometimes we went to Devon and Cornwall but he never felt it was a proper holiday unless he had crossed the Channel ! At least he’s not here with all the restrictions now ...

ixion Sat 05-Jun-21 08:51:03

SusieB50
Rosa 'Golden Wedding'
I send you my thoughts and warmest best wishes on this Special Day.

Granny23 Sat 05-Jun-21 08:55:52

It would have been our 55th Anniversary Yesterday. I was away for a few days so spent the day driving home and the evening playing his music and looking at photos from our huge Golden Wedding celebration and talking to my DD's. After I lost him last September, I had a strong sense of his presence with me, particularly when in our home. This feeling has been fading but returned - he WAS with me yesterday. Today I shall visit his family grave as his lettering has just been added.

Be assured Susie, that your DH will be with you forever, in your thoughts, memories and his lasting legacy.

dragonfly46 Sat 05-Jun-21 08:59:08

Granny23 flowers

M0nica Sat 05-Jun-21 09:00:48

I expect your family are not disregarding, but feeling that, you may not want to commemorate the day because your DH is not with you.

Many people, even close family, can be embarrassed and unsure about bereavement and anniversaries and blank them rather than address the issue. It is probably love and oversensitivity that means nothing has been done or said.

But you have come on GN and we will celebrate with you. Do you have a weddding picture to post here? I was pregnant with my DS in June 1971. I seem to remember it was a sunny warm summer, so you must have had lovely weather for the event.