Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Sean Locke dead aged 58

(34 Posts)
avitorl Wed 18-Aug-21 14:32:59

I am sad and shocked at the news of the death of comedian Sean Locke at the age of 58. It is reported that the cause of death was cancer.
He was a talented and very funny man.RIP Sean

Whiff Fri 20-Aug-21 06:46:54

Just read Sean Locke had skin cancer 31years ago and it was that cancer that killed him.

My husband was diagnosed with a grade 4 malignant melanoma on the side of his face in his hair line by his right eye in January 2001 and was given 5 years to live . He became terminal in October 2003 . He had 3 tumour's in his right lung , 1 in his chest and 2 in his brain by the optical nerve. He died 4 days after his 47th birthday in February 2004 When he died 2,000 people a month where dieing of skin cancer I think the figures are higher now.

Hopefully people will take more care with the sun. Always wear high factor suntan cream whenever going out in the sun. Even on a sunny winter's day.

During summer sunny days wear a hat and sun glasses. Any age can get skin cancer .

My husband died in agony unable to breath. Skin cancer isn't talked about enough. It's what I call a Cinderella cancer. All other cancers get all the attention but skin cancer is left in the background.

If you have a mole or spot that looks odd. Look at pictures of them and if in doubt get a medical opinion.

If I have got one of you to look at any odd marks then writing this has been worth it.

GillT57 Fri 20-Aug-21 18:29:09

facebook.com/MetroUK/photos/a.3448847988483798/4731065506928700/?type=3

grin grin

Sorry for link

JaneJudge Fri 20-Aug-21 18:30:42

I'm so sorry Whiff sad x

Aveline Fri 20-Aug-21 18:54:32

Oh Whiff how sad. It must have been an awful time for you all. Thank you for posting this painful reminder for us all to check out any odd moles or skin blemishes.
Gosh life's unfair.flowers

MayBee70 Fri 20-Aug-21 19:08:43

A dear friend of mine died of skin cancer when he was only in his fifties. I was told years ago that women need to check the back of their legs as moles etc can be missed in areas like that. I’m so sorry for the loss of your husband Whiff.

Whiff Fri 20-Aug-21 21:13:01

Thank you for your kind words. I just wanted people to be made a where of what could happen. My husband malignant melanoma just appeared. His oncologist thought it was set down in childhood. He was born 1957 . Sun tan cream wasn't about much . It was mainly sun tan oil. Which if your parents could afford it used to just fry your skin or we didn't use anything. It can lie dormant in our bodies for decades and just become active. There is no trigger. It just happens.

Grandma70s Fri 20-Aug-21 21:34:24

My husband died as a result of a malignant melanoma at the age of 40, decades ago. He was Australian, and as a child had run around in the sun without thought of danger. He was fair skinned and freckled. His brother is still alive. He has a more olive skin better suited to the sun.

grannylyn65 Fri 20-Aug-21 21:45:17

Fock that