Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Attending her grave and what to do

(103 Posts)
Motherduck Tue 26-Apr-22 14:38:31

Hello, I’m really struggling with this issue, losing sleep, causing anxiety, I need to put it to bed and have some peace as it’s really troubling me. Can I explain how it’s come about..
My 28 year old daughter died last year leaving her husband and her baby son. She has expressed her wishes and planned her funeral and her wishes have been followed completely and respectfully. Her husband kept her ashes at home for 12 months and then the ashes were interned local to where my daughter lived.
My daughter lived some distance from me and I can’t visit and do her flowers as I would like because of the distance. My daughter wanted to be there because she worried about how her husband would cope with her dying, being without her and she chose to have her ashes locally there for that reason - so thst she would be close by. She was trying to make the decision. In his interests quite rightly.
Sadly it hasn’t turned out quite the way I think she envisaged. I found initially that when I visited her grave (no grave stone yet due to delays but it’s the way it is at the moment) her little plot and the ground itself was completely barren, no flowers, plants, nothing. I was already heartbroken but to see her grave neglected broke me. Subsequently I’ve been doing the journey once weekly to do her flowers and it gives me some comfort. I’ve asked my SIL would he help me and explained the journey factor, how it hurt me to see her grave empty and the fact that he lives locally there. He told me he struggled to do that as he wants to move on and forward and going to her grave sets him back.
He is in the process of making a final decision for her gravestone at the moment. My feelings are that if he doesn’t want to visit her grave (and has indeed moved on which is another story) then why oh why couldn’t my daughter ashes have been close to me where I live? I’ve more time to tend her grave and it gives me so much comfort. I worry snd I worry about what I’m going to do when I can no longer drive and I can’t go and tend her grave where she is now? Will her grave be barren and neglected forever more? This is my worry and my hurt part is the fact that he hasn’t been, although he did buy flowers for Mothers Day and asked a relative to take them.
I do realise it’s ok to move on, I get it. But I don’t understand how it can be ok to neglect his young wife’s grave.
I also understand I can have a plot local to me and we then have somewhere local to go and leave flowers and choose a lovely headstone, somewhere for family and friends to visit locally. However, my girls other resting place, her true resting place would still remain empty unless I can drive there and leave flowers. I could ask a relative on his side of the family to do it for me but it’s awkward.
I’ve turned it round and round in my head and I want with all my heart for her to be near me, where I know she’ll have flowers but how can I ask him? It would mean I’d have to ask csn I please have her ashes? Am I wrong to even think I could ask him? What can I do.

Motherduck Tue 26-Apr-22 15:21:30

Yes he is seeing someone now

Granny23 Tue 26-Apr-22 15:21:49

My DH was cremated, then 50% of his ashes were interred in his family's grave. The other half is with me and they will be scattered in a favourite place along with mine when I die. Myself, I do not believe that the ashes are a significant thing - my DH lives on in my heart and memories and those of all who loved him. However, I have seen something that might appeal to you. It was a drinking water faucet, near the entrance to a cemetery, dedicated to a young man who had died and been buried at sea. It looked as if it had been well tended over the years, with fresh flowers in a vase beside it. Perhaps something like that situated locally to you would be a comfort to you?

choughdancer Tue 26-Apr-22 15:23:03

This must be immensely painful for you. I would do a combination of several of the suggestions above; plant some wildflowers there, and some bulbs (choose tough ones like native daffodils, muscari etc.) that will pop up every year. Often grave areas are mown regularly so you want hardy plants like this which won't be damaged. Maybe someone could take photos each year for you to see? Plant a tree or similar near you where her soul can rest if not her ashes. You could have a headstone too as BlueBelle suggested. I think aggie is probably right that it isn't that your sil doesn't want to go but that it may be too painful for him yet. We all feel and cope with grief differently and he may well feel able to go to the grave in time. It sounds from the plans she made that your dd had good reason to choose to have her ashes interred near him. Deepest sympathies to you; I cannot imagine the pain of losing a daughter and my heart goes out to you.

Jodieb Tue 26-Apr-22 15:23:46

Sorry, crossed posts. Yes, I would ask or write. You seem to have a good relationship with him and you are sensitive so will find the right words.

BlueBelle Tue 26-Apr-22 15:25:24

Sorry mother-duck your post hadn’t arrived when I posted So he is dating and seeing someone else so he’s moved on !!!
I think you are perfectly right to ask to have your daughter brought to be with you

If he had moved on when she was alive she would have come to you for comfort I m sure So I think it’s the right thing to do for you, for her and hopefully your little grandson can as he gets older visit with you and you can tell him all about his lovely Mum
A year is no time to ‘move on’ good luck to him but yes bring her to you the marriage and her memory isn’t being honoured by him as he’s not even going to the grave and looking after it whilst ‘moving on’ he could be doing both if he chose to

BlueBelle Tue 26-Apr-22 15:31:22

Choughdancer but would she have chosen to be there if she knew he was not going to look after her and would have a girlfriend within 12 months She wanted to be near him to comfort him it doesn’t sounds as if he needs comforting

NotSpaghetti Tue 26-Apr-22 15:32:15

My sister in law died at 28 with cancer and her husband also "moved on" quite quickly (maybe a year or two) but his love of my sister in law was not diminished by his new relationship and I know he talked about her a lot to his "new" partner.

It was your daughter's wish to be there, near him. SHE chose that (and you don't necessarily know her whole thought process around this) so I feel if it were my daughter I would see it as totally wrong to move her ashes. We are privileged to watch our children grow to adult and to watch them fly. What they choose as adults may not always suit us but it is their choice.

I think it would be very wrong (and accusatory) to discuss moving them.
Do not sour your relationship with the man she loved.

I do feel sympathy for you, as everyone must, but please let this go.

crazyH Tue 26-Apr-22 15:32:52

Oh motherduck - I must have missed about the fact she had a baby - sadder still ??

MissAdventure Tue 26-Apr-22 15:35:28

The new someone he is seeing may well be part of his way of grieving, and perhaps it will end and he will then do the tending of the grave...

NotSpaghetti Tue 26-Apr-22 15:35:34

You say:
put bluntly if he didn’t want to go at all surely she could have been near me

Is it possible that he wanted to fulfill her last wishes and had no idea how he might feel about visiting her grave?

Glorianny Tue 26-Apr-22 15:36:51

So sorry for your loss Motherduck. I think the suggestions about planting things which would provide long term cover for the grave are the best thing. Hopefully as your grandson grows older his dad will be able to tell him about his mum and the boy will be able to visit her grave. I can understand how desperate you are to have her close to you and be able to take care of the grave. But even if it is close to you maintaining it will become more difficult as you age. If there are plants which will bloom every year you could visit a few times each year to tidy up and take your grandson with you.
I think your son-in-law is still grieving, but he kept her ashes for a whole year and is now trying to distance himself . It doesn't mean he has forgotten her.

Oldladynewlife Tue 26-Apr-22 15:39:01

I think, if you don’t mind my saying so, that you should absolutely approach your son in law and gently and without judgement offer to have the grave moved near you. Everyone grieves in a different way and people relate to the idea of the grave/memorial differently, especially during the first year. There is no right or wrong. You are both suffering enormously! My heart goes out to both of you. I hope your offer to move your daughter’s grave closer to you is a blessing and a balm to both you and your son in law. If the grave is moved I think you will be able to mourn and remember her as you wish, and he will be able to do so, too, as he wishes and as he can manage.

choughdancer Tue 26-Apr-22 15:45:46

This must be so hard for you Motherduck, and it sounds as if you are being incredibly understanding and generous to your SIL even though he is seeing someone else. I think that NotSpaghetti may well be right though that he hasn't necessarily stopped loving your daughter. I have a friend who over the years had 3 husbands, all of whom died, and although she remarried, she always loved each of them just as much as she had while they were alive. I hope that this is the case with your SIL too.

Motherduck Tue 26-Apr-22 16:06:21

Hithere

OP

Would you consider grief therapy?

WOW

Hithere Tue 26-Apr-22 16:09:08

Why wow?

Motherduck Tue 26-Apr-22 16:14:39

NotSpaghetti

You say:
put bluntly if he didn’t want to go at all surely she could have been near me

Is it possible that he wanted to fulfill her last wishes and had no idea how he might feel about visiting her grave?

Yes no doubt about it, it’s what to do now with the situation as it stands, either I accept it and though it’s not down to me and I may have to it but, it condenses my grief. Grief counselling as someone helpfully (not) suggested won’t stop me hurting or help me forgets her barren grave.
I do understand why it’s happened and other things I can do to honour and remember her, she’s in my heart. Sorry to go off piste a little bit I’m trying to put some context in for the other replies here, all well meant.

Motherduck Tue 26-Apr-22 16:16:37

BlueBelle

Choughdancer but would she have chosen to be there if she knew he was not going to look after her and would have a girlfriend within 12 months She wanted to be near him to comfort him it doesn’t sounds as if he needs comforting

Correct Blurbelle sadly

MissAdventure Tue 26-Apr-22 16:18:39

It's the practicalities which are causing the grief to feel worse.
I couldn't bear to think of my girl's resting place being left untended. (And I'm not the sentimental type)

Motherduck Tue 26-Apr-22 16:21:03

NotSpaghetti

My sister in law died at 28 with cancer and her husband also "moved on" quite quickly (maybe a year or two) but his love of my sister in law was not diminished by his new relationship and I know he talked about her a lot to his "new" partner.

It was your daughter's wish to be there, near him. SHE chose that (and you don't necessarily know her whole thought process around this) so I feel if it were my daughter I would see it as totally wrong to move her ashes. We are privileged to watch our children grow to adult and to watch them fly. What they choose as adults may not always suit us but it is their choice.

I think it would be very wrong (and accusatory) to discuss moving them.
Do not sour your relationship with the man she loved.

I do feel sympathy for you, as everyone must, but please let this go.

Bring close to my daughter and caring for her, listening to her open her heart and voice all her thoughts wishes and fears I can assure you I certainly do know her thought process. Heavens who do you think she talked to one to one over the covid period, her Mum! Goodness me

Motherduck Tue 26-Apr-22 16:25:38

Hithere

Why wow?

When you’ve walked a year in my shoes after losing my 28 year old daughter and someone suggests therapy you will understand. I wouldn’t want anyone to walk in my shoes.

Hithere Tue 26-Apr-22 16:26:33

"Grief counselling as someone helpfully (not) suggested won’t stop me hurting or help me forgets her barren grave."

Of course not, the hurt will not go away.

It would give you tools how to manage your grief, find your new normal and cope with your loss

Motherduck Tue 26-Apr-22 16:27:16

MissAdventure

It's the practicalities which are causing the grief to feel worse.
I couldn't bear to think of my girl's resting place being left untended. (And I'm not the sentimental type)

Yes, that’s it Miss Adventure

Motherduck Tue 26-Apr-22 16:28:53

Hithere

"Grief counselling as someone helpfully (not) suggested won’t stop me hurting or help me forgets her barren grave."

Of course not, the hurt will not go away.

It would give you tools how to manage your grief, find your new normal and cope with your loss

I know, I do. For the record I do have grief counselling. My issue though is the one I’ve posted, with regard to her ashes.

M0nica Tue 26-Apr-22 16:33:39

I have not read all this thread, but, as far as looking after the grave and haaving plants (rather than flowers, which die quickly), you can get an undertaker to maintain the grave, although you will need to pay for this.

My parents ashes and my sisters are buried a long way from where I and my surviving sister live and we pay the undertaker to keep the grave clean and tended.

You must also realise that not everybody wants to visit the grave of a loved one after their death, some people cannot bear even the thought of doing such a thing, it brings the death of their loved one constantly to their mind and they would rather remembeer them alive, through photos and memorabilia at home.

Surely the best way to remember your daughter, is not by grave visiting, except on birthdays, Christmas etc, but by making your daughter live for your dear grandson who will have no memories of his mother except what his father may say - and you are the only one with those memories of when mummy was a child that fascinate most children. So concentrate your enegries on seeing your grandson regularly, seeing your daughter in him and helping him cope with the inexplicable (to him) dissapearance of his mother.

Hithere Tue 26-Apr-22 16:35:26

OP

I am more in your shoes than you know, sadly

I wish you the best.