Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Probate - do you have recent experience?

(36 Posts)
SqueezedMiddleG Tue 20-Sep-22 20:30:18

I am the executor of my late mother's estate and I applied for Grant of Probate over 3 weeks ago. The estate seems very simple as there is no IHT to pay, no debts and very few financial accounts. According to the Government website, Probate should be granted in 8 weeks. However, I have been told that it might take much longer. Does anyone have any recent experience of this process?

BlueBalou Thu 12-Jan-23 13:22:49

26 months after my father’s death and 23 months after my mother’s their so-called simple Wills still haven’t been finalised. And that’s with employing solicitors to execute the Wills!
Awful and unacceptable.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 12-Jan-23 13:27:46

Perhaps their estates weren’t so simple after all, Blue. Unkind to say awful and unacceptable without the details.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 12-Jan-23 15:09:26

BlushingSheep

I don't understand why my experience shows that probate is so much longer than everyone else's.
There's me thinking that a year was a standard length of time, but clearly not.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what probate means, in that we gave all the info to the solicitor, and a few weeks later she told us that everything had 'gone to probate' but perhaps she meant that everyone who needed one had a copy of the deed of probate.
All I know is that it took a while before everything was sorted out and received.
It's a bit depressing that we're having to go through it all again so soon.

It seems from hearing what other people have to say that straight forward probate is a lot quicker on line than in the hands of solicitors. I may be wrong but it is definitely the impression I have got.

Oldbat1 Thu 12-Jan-23 15:18:40

Yes I would agree doing it on line seems to be quicker as the online form seemed to do most of the work. Dh did it all on line and had to ring the probate office once as mil had a trust fund set up. Person in probate office was really helpful so even that didn’t cause problem. Others folk seem to have more of an issue.

Jaxjacky Thu 12-Jan-23 16:14:20

My Mum died in September 2019, her estate went through probate and was dispersed by November 2020. It was handled by a solicitor with a final bill of £7k. Considering this was through Covid we were satisfied.

harrigran Sat 14-Jan-23 10:48:34

£7k solicitors bill for sorting probate ? That can not be right, I employed a solicitor for DH'S estate and it cost me £ 450.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 14-Jan-23 11:07:27

Your solicitor’s charge is incredibly low harrigran.

Jaxjacky Sat 14-Jan-23 11:29:56

The estate had complex investments; bonds, shares and life policies harrigran.

Beautful Sat 14-Jan-23 12:49:39

I went to probate for a small amount of money that I was entitled to from from late husband ... not that much but had to do it ... my cousin helped me to fill in the forms, can't remember how much, I gave her £50 for helping me ... if I had gone through a solicitor would have cost about £1K I think as just over 6 years ago , not too sure but £7K is extortionate ! Also no where near 1 year ... perhaps a month or two ... not that long at all ... perhaps with the cost & how long some are taking perhaps more complicated & complex

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 14-Jan-23 12:56:46

Jaxjacky has explained the complexities Beautful. It sounds as though a lot of work was needed. Remember solicitors have studied for years to qualify and are entitled to a decent income, they have to keep up to date which costs money, they have to be insured and to pay for an annual practising certificate (not cheap), have office overheads and staff to pay and there is a compulsory 20% vat on top of their fees.