Gransnet forums

Books/book club

ebooks

(83 Posts)
cmcpne Thu 05-May-11 17:54:14

Hi
Does anyone out there 'borrow' ebooks from their local library? I do and think it's a great service (even though I can't work our how the whole software works!).
My only gripe is that you can only get 4 books at one time which just isn't enough for my holidays. I even tried setting up a separate digital account for my none ebook owner husband but it won't let me save more books to my reader.
Other than that I can't complain and read the whole of the Millenium series one after the other...and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Kennedy Wed 24-Aug-11 10:07:21

Well done Jangly. My kindle has just arrived and I'm still working out why
I can't connect to Wi-Fi.

Elegran Wed 24-Aug-11 10:31:00

You do need to have a router to distribute your wi-fi connections, maybe that is what is wrong. It won't work straight to the PC.

I bought a Kindle for DH to use while we were on holiday. So far he has hardly got a look-in. I tell him I am finding out how it works so that I can explain to him.

Elegran Wed 24-Aug-11 10:33:56

Does the Kindle read any old format of ebook or does it have to be Kindle-specific?

One of the reviewers on Amazon was waxing lyrical about an application called Calibre, presumably for the PC, which you can use to convert other formats to Kindle. Anyone used it and know whether it is any good?

Annobel Wed 24-Aug-11 11:19:26

I have downloaded Calibre but haven't had to use it yet. I've heard that it works well, but would also like to hear someone's more informed opinion.

Yummygran Wed 24-Aug-11 15:21:35

There is no VAT on 'proper' books, but there is on ebooks. Don't know why that is. I had a kindle for Christmas, but still prefer real books. I love to see them on the bookshelf and enjoy taking them down and thumbing through them when I have time, it's not the same on a kindle.

Ellen80 Wed 10-Apr-19 16:57:26

Anyone wanting to download library books should consider a Lobo. There are other computer sites like Gutenberg and Open Library where you can download for free.

Ellen80 Wed 10-Apr-19 16:58:49

That's Kobo....not Lobo!