Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading at the moment

(1201 Posts)
Hattie64 Thu 26-May-11 19:58:46

I have just started reading 'The Secret Life of Bees' by Sue Monk Kidd. One of the reviews 'Wonderfully written, powerful, poignant and humerous'. Well I shall find out, I am on page 26 at the moment, and is very easy to read.

numberplease Sat 18-Jun-11 17:33:55

I love Jo Nesbo`s books as well. I read The Snowman first, liked it a lot, so bought all the others and read them in the correct order. Am currently waqiting for the latest, The Leopard, to go paperback. At the moment I`m reading The Watchman, by Robert Crais, my second by this author, who was recommended to me by someone on another forum.

absentgrana Mon 20-Jun-11 11:20:45

I have given up with The Finkler Question – I really don't care about the characters and nothing has even made me smile, let alone laugh. Maybe I'm not in the right frame of mind at the moment, so I'll try again in a couple of months. Meanwhile, I think I'll just find myself a nice murder for mindless bedtime reading.

Hattie64 Tue 21-Jun-11 19:46:48

I am reading 'The moment' by Douglas Kennedy. I saw him on the book show on Sky arts a few weeks ago discussing this book. I have read one of his previous books which I didn't enjoy. This book though, is well written and quite absorbing.

deedee Tue 21-Jun-11 21:24:44

just finished reading ps i love you by Cecelia Ahern could not put it down, made me laugh and cry, well worth reading.

katesmate Tue 21-Jun-11 22:09:28

Just finished Started Early, Took My Dog (Kate Atkinson) which was fantastic - and The Hand That Once Held Mine (Maggie O'Farrell) which I didn't want to end... I wanted it to go on and on. Now I'm reading When God Was a Rabbit and so far so good. Also reading, in a dip-in-and-out sort of way, Sum: Tales From The Afterlife by David Eagleman. It's entrancing and perfect for those times when I've only got a few minutes to escape into a book. Bill Bryson's At Home is also on the go (another dip-in-and-out read). Miss Garnet's Angel & Sister are waiting for me and I've just ordered The Secrect Life of Bees - thanks to all the strong recommendations.

Hattie64 Wed 22-Jun-11 19:49:26

I absolutely loved The Hand that once held mine, I have enjoyed all Maggie O'Farrell books. Kate Atkinson is one of my favourite authors, and Jackson is also one of my favourite characters. I have ordered so many books from the library, that tomorrow I have six books to pick up. I can't see myself reading all of those in three weeks!!!

GrannyE Thu 23-Jun-11 19:48:12

I dont often read books in the usual fashion these days due to, well, health problems lol...so most of my books come thanks to Listening Book,s a great organisation for those who have difficulty with the written word or holding a book. My latest offering was The Consequences of Love by Sulaiman Addonia and read by Christopher Simpson...set in Jeddah this is essentailly a love story. Opening with the main character being sent to escape from war in Eritrea....then through desolate hardship we move towards the main theme of the book, young people in love. This is an utterly beautiful book, the writing is superb, weaving the story and tugging at the readers heart strings. Not in any way me usual genre, I utterly devoured this book, cant recommend it highly enough

In real book land I am reading The Leopard by Jo Nesbo...an Norwegian crime thriller, phew, they can write....I'm not finished this one yet so I'll let you know as time goes by...I read another of the authors books, The Snowman recently, and wow, if you like crime thriller, great story lines and twists and turns in your tale this auther is a must. But be warned, it will scare the pants off you...utterly brilliant.

katesmate Thu 23-Jun-11 20:50:05

Talking of Norwegian crime, has anyone read any of the Wallander books by Henning Mankell (I know it's not Norwegian, but you get the connection)? If so, what's the verdict?
I've read all Kate Atkinson's and I love Jackson Brodie... have you seen any of the tv series, Hattie64?

crimson Thu 23-Jun-11 21:40:13

Haven't read the books, but these Scandinavians know how to write crime novels. Addicted to anything Scandinavian on the telly or at the cinema.

numberplease Fri 24-Jun-11 00:02:44

GrannyE, if you`re enjoying Jo Nesbo so much, you really ought to start at the beginning and read them all. I started with The Snowman, then went on to buy the others and read them in order, they`re all brilliant. I`m waiting for The Leopard to go paperback, hoping I won`t have to wait too much longer.
I loved The Watchman, by Robert Crais I think that Joe Pike and Elvis Cole are a great team. Then I`ve just finished Hide, by Lisa Gardner, another good read, and I`ve just started Count to Ten, by Karen Rose, who`s books I absolutely love, this one promises to be equally as good as all the others.

Hattie64 Fri 24-Jun-11 19:36:43

I too love the Scandinavian authors,a couple to mention Hakan Nesser, Henning mankel of course, read all his books and love Wallander on the tv, the Swedish version that is. One book of H. Mankell, not a Wallander, 'Italian Shoes, about a chap living on a remote island. I loved this book.
Icelandic author Arnaldur Indridason is excellent.Karin Fossom and Camilla Lackberg also good.
I did watch Kate Atkinson books on tv. I liked the series, but not as much as her books.

numberplease Sun 26-Jun-11 23:22:33

I`ve just finished yet another Karen Rose book, Count to Ten, brilliant! Can highly recommend it.

jackyann Mon 27-Jun-11 06:57:18

Hello to Elegran - I'm a great Laurie R. King fan (love her Kate Martinelli books as well as Russell) and post on her "virtual book club" where we also have a "what are you reading now" thread.
For those who like Scandinavian crime, can I suggest the Irene Huss series by Helene Tursten? Female author, lovely woman detective, gives a different perspective.
I am a fan of Kate Ellis, whose Wesley Peterson series, set in Devon, runs parallels between the investigation of detective Wes, and his archaeological pal Neil. She has also started a new series set in "Ebor" which looks promising.

Annobel Mon 27-Jun-11 09:38:02

I'm re-reading John Steinbeck's 'Travels with Charley'. It's 50 years since his trip round America with his big French poodle It's funny and perceptive and his observations are as fascinating now as thy were then, especially with the historical perspective we can add to our reading.

baggythecrust! Mon 27-Jun-11 09:41:47

That's another to add to my list, Annobel. smile I've just started The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom.

numberplease Mon 27-Jun-11 17:07:32

I read The Birthing House a few weeks ago, baggythecrust, loved it, very creepy!
I`m now reading Shocking Pink, by Erica Spindler, set first in 1983, then moving on to 1998, 3 teenage girls witness kinky sex which leads to murder.

Hattie64 Tue 28-Jun-11 19:56:57

A great selection of authors here, quite a few I have never heard of. I shall have to give them a try. I sort of finished the Douglas Kennedy book I was reading, started off slowly, continued slowly, and i started to get a bit fed up, the sort of book you put down and reluctantly pick up, always a bad sign. I then had a look on Amazon, and a lot of the reviews weren't too good. Thank goodness I got it from the library.
Anyway I have now started 'The return of Captain John Emmett' by Elizabeth Speller. The blurb on the front says 'The new Birdsong - only better', erm I find that hard to believe.
How are you getting on with the kinky sex book??? I shall have to read a Karen Rose and Helene Tursten.

numberplease Tue 28-Jun-11 21:48:48

The kinky sex is coming along just fine, thank you!

Mamanana Wed 29-Jun-11 09:16:37

@Georgette. You are a gran after my own heart. I have 3 daughters and bought them each a copy of Men from Mars women from Venus after I read it years ago. Now I'm reading The Compassionate Mind by Paul Gilbert and greatly tempted to do the same.
Sometimes I do it in reverse. I wanted to read Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver [she is fantastic author] so bought it for my daughters birthday with a view to borrowing eventually. She loved it smile

NanaAnna Wed 29-Jun-11 22:55:09

I love this forum and always log on when I am looking for suggestions on what to read next. Keep the suggestions coming girls because so far I have not been disappointed.smile

Hattie64 Thu 21-Jul-11 20:52:11

I finished the 'The Return of Captain John Emmett' by Elizabeth Speller. A very good read and enjoyable. Set just after WW1 and shows the effect on the War on the men who had to to deal with the atrocities they had witnessed. It is also part detective story.
My next book, which I have just finished is 'The novel of the viola' by Natasha Solomons. I loved this book, it is a wonderful read and beautifully written. It is about Elise an Austrian Jew, who is sent to a big country house to work as a maid, she finds it hard to adjust, and finds love and loss.
The book I read before this was 'The Unseen' by Katherine Webb. All I can say is I didn't care for it. Especially when the male in the story believes he has seen 'fairies'. It had good reviews on Amazon though, perhaps it was just me. Her previous book 'The Legacy' was very good.

Baggy Thu 21-Jul-11 21:01:38

I started reading The Witch of Clatteringshaws by Joan Aiken. It's really for children (older ones, I think). It's wacky but Philip Pullman approves of it.

Gally Thu 21-Jul-11 21:10:23

Just finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet - over 1000 pages so it lasted me the whole holiday

jangly Thu 21-Jul-11 21:32:55

I'm reading the first book in the Conn Iggledun Emperor series.

Or I would be if I could get off this flipping website. Maybe GN could ban me?

NO. Don't all shout yes please at once!

Annobel Thu 21-Jul-11 21:51:52

I'm reading Bernard Cornwell's 'the Winter King' the first of his King Arthur novels. I went on a U3A summer school about Arthur last week and got enthused.

This discussion thread has reached a 1200 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion