Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Have you given up on any books you started reading?

(197 Posts)
yogagran Sun 05-Jun-11 22:04:08

I was given "Eat, Pray and Love" recently and found it so depressing that I gave up after about 50 pages. Are there any books that you have not managed to get through?

Grannyknot Sat 20-Apr-13 14:17:03

eGJ although I didn't give up on Eloise, I skimmed through it after the first few chapters, when she had used little about 3 times in one half of a page, including sitting on "my little yellow sofa". What a load of codswallop! I wanted to like it because I like Judy, but writing nonsense such as "put my Gap pyjamas on with my Virgin eye mask..." what ... rubbish!

FlicketyB Sat 20-Apr-13 16:33:12

Henry James leaves me struggling and I have given up completely on Martin Amis. Chick Lit and Aga Sagas (rather out of fashion now) I also find unreadable.

annodomini Sat 20-Apr-13 17:08:15

Flickety I agree about Martin Amis. Why is it that unreadable novelists are so feted?

Grannyknot Sat 20-Apr-13 17:58:47

ad and Flickety me too, I've long wondered why some feted novelists are beyond me, and thought it was me.

BAnanas Sat 20-Apr-13 19:48:05

I haven't read any, but my husband has and he found the couple he read vastly overrated and again can't understand why he is considered such a highly acclaimed author. The one he disliked the most was called "Money" in which he said it was if Amis had just discovered the "f" word. Consequently I've decided not to bother with his books life's too short just to say you've read a Martin Amis! I have only heard one person say they liked one of his books and that was "Time's Arrow"

waldorfgrosi Sat 20-Apr-13 19:51:58

Thanks for Kate G suggestion, just have it downloaded to my Kindle. Looking forward to a good read after struggling with Kate Atkinsons Life after Life. Loved it at first then got more and more confused and impatient but persevered to the end.

cathy Sat 20-Apr-13 21:45:31

yes most of them!!

annemac101 Fri 03-May-13 16:38:40

I gave up on The Time Travellers Wife and Birds Without Wings. I have some authors that I know Im going to love their books such as Lesley Pearse,Dorothy Koomson and Amelia Carr,they have never let me down.

grandimars Fri 03-May-13 16:45:08

Absolutely agree with gma about The Slap. I though it was a dreadful book with vile characters, and it didn't survive my P.50 rule. Too many other good books out there to waste time on such rubbish. I recently gave up on Maggie O'Farrell's My Lover's Lover. Although I enjoyed After You'd Gone and The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, I just couldn't get on with this one.

Marelli Fri 03-May-13 17:27:37

I was going to request Eloise (Judy Finnegan) from the library, Grannyknot. I won't bother....hmm! All that would get on my nerves as well!

Gorki Fri 03-May-13 17:46:26

I also gave up on The Slap after a very few pages. There were so many characters I couldn't get to grips with them.

Eloethan Sat 04-May-13 00:37:44

I hated The Slap too - horrible, unlikeable characters. Also hated The Time Travellers Wife - soppy.

These days, if I don't like a book after forty or so pages I just give up - it's not worth ploughing on with something I'm not enjoying.

Loved "The Idea of Perfection" (Kate Granville), Secret History (Donna Tartt) and "St Maybe" (Anne Tyler).

mischief Wed 29-May-13 17:52:23

I gave up on Time Travellers Wife but saw the movie and loved it. There just wasn't so much jumping about.

The other book I really wanted to enjoy but tried several times without success is Wolf Hall. It was her constant reference to characters as 'he', I didn't know who she was talking about. I will see the play at RSC and hope I get to grips with that.

hummingbird Wed 29-May-13 18:40:45

Oh, The Slap! I'd read a very good review of it, so recommended it to my book club. I took it on holiday, and nearly had a heart attack at the thought of the book club ladies reading the saucy bits - on my say so! Horrid book!

susieb755 Wed 29-May-13 20:25:30

Captain Correllis Mandolin

kittylester Thu 30-May-13 10:13:32

I do wish I'd given up on Mark Haddon's 'The Red House'. I loved 'The Curious Incident' and 'A Spot of Bother' so much that I was sure it would get better - it didn't. sad

Ana Thu 30-May-13 10:29:20

Oh dear - I've just bought 'The Red House'....grin

I gave up on 'A Year of Doing Good'. It just got too contrived and self-congratulatory...I was beginning to really dislike the author!

petra Fri 31-May-13 20:59:09

Hundreds. Life's too short to do something you don't like.

On this note I was sooo pleased to read in the Mail today that Peter Hitchens says, about 'The Great Gatsby'
'Gatsby' isn't a particularly good book. It survives because it is on a lot of school and college reading lists, mainly because it's short.
And there was me thinking I was the only one who couldn't get into it.
Thank you, Peter.

kittylester Sat 01-Jun-13 07:37:29

Ana I'd love to know how you get on with 'The Red House'.

Gagagran Sat 01-Jun-13 08:26:17

I gave up on "Gone Girl" but did cheat and read the ending. Hateful characters and I could not warm to or relate to either of them. I found it overlong and curiously boring.

nightowl Sat 01-Jun-13 08:33:46

I wish I'd given up on 'Gone Girl' Gagagran but I ploughed on to the end. I thought it got even worse in the second half and I thought the ending was dire.

I'm still practising giving up on books I don't enjoy but I'm getting better at it.