Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Summer reads

(122 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 09-May-12 11:31:13

It's hard to imagine at the moment, but we're thinking about whiling away afternoons in the garden or sitting on a sunny beach with a good book. We're aiming to compile a list of gransnetters' summer reads - so whether your preference is for something frothy or beach reading means a chance to tackle some fat and worthy work, let us know your thoughts on great books to pack for holidays or sit sunning yourself with at home. We'll pull together a list of recommendations.

misunderstood Wed 09-May-12 19:10:44

Anything by Patricia Scanlon

whitewave Wed 09-May-12 20:30:45

A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini by devastatingly good

twinplus2girls Thu 10-May-12 17:05:42

im reading through my collection of Danielle steel books at the moment i can really get into them x

whenim64 Thu 10-May-12 17:10:32

twinplus2girls sounds like you have a twinny family there! Welcome from one (well, 3 x 2) to another. I haven't read Danielle Steele for years - my mum used to pass them on to me. Must take another look, as I used to enjoy them.

I'm just about to start Salmon Fishing in the Yemen this evening. Looking forward to this one smile

Ariadne Thu 10-May-12 17:12:47

Just (or recently) finished:

"Into the Darkest Corner" Elizabeth Haynes. Excellent for a first novel.
"The Revelations" Alex Preston
"Perfect Love". Elizabeth Buchanan (Love her books!)
"Sing You Home" Jodi Picoult

No great literary efforts here, but good, entertaining holiday reading. Oh, and I also, courtesy of Amazon deals, discovered Giselle Greene.

Anagram Thu 10-May-12 18:10:10

I have just started, and am enjoying, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach.

I wanted to read it before seeing the film, and I'm glad, because it's so well-written and brings the characters to life in such a way that I'll be surprised if the film matches up to it. There again, that's my usual opinion on books made into films!

Great summer reading in my opinion!

Ariadne Thu 10-May-12 18:21:11

Isn't it good? I read it ages ago, and, as ever, was a bit nervous about the film, but it was great!

Anagram Thu 10-May-12 18:24:37

Oh, good! I'll have that to look forward to afterwards! smile

twinplus2girls Thu 10-May-12 20:51:06

yes i have twin grandchildren aged 3 (in few weeks) boy/girl and 7 and 5 year old granddaughters so i do love a good book after they have been round hehe :-)

salmon fishing in the yemen sounds good!

thanks for the welcome whenim64 xxx

sunflowersuffolk Fri 11-May-12 10:50:57

I've just read The Greenhouse by Audur Ava Olafsdottir, it was a freebie Kindle, a bit different, and I really enjoyed it.

PetitFilou Fri 11-May-12 12:27:24

Have just read "One Moment, One Morning" and "The Two Week Wait" by Sarah Rayner and thoroughly enjoyed both of them. Also would highly recommend "Conditions of Faith" by Alex Miller. smile

Jan Fri 11-May-12 13:01:06

Summers Lease - Sir John Mortimer

Captain Corellis Mandolin - Louis de Berniere

Anything by Donna Leon (Guido Brunetti - Venetian detective)

Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett.

shandy Fri 11-May-12 13:06:01

Anyone who has visited Sri Lanka will probably enjoy Brixton Beach by Roma Tearne. Also recommend Year of Wonder by Geraldine Brooks a story of the plague and how it affected the village of Eyam in Derbyshire, not a 'light' read but gripping.

shandy Fri 11-May-12 13:06:58

I agree two of my best ever reads

GrandmaH Fri 11-May-12 13:12:58

Our Reading group have enjoyed the following very much in the last year!

The Help - Kathryn Stockett

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society-Mary Anne Shaffer

Me Before You- Jojo Moyes (I like anything by her!)

Dead Simple- Peter James (not if you are claustrophobic though)

Enigma- Robert Harris (again I'll read anything by him & love it)

Victoria Hislop is popular although not my own personal favourite

Anything by Kate Akinson

& my own all time favourite book of all time- Captain Corelli's Mandolin- Louis de Bernieres- NOTHING like the film- just bear with it through the first few chapters- the ending is beautiful

GrandmaH Fri 11-May-12 13:16:53

Oh- yes & the 3 Stieg Larson books if you have not read them- Girl with Dragon Tattoo, Girl who Played with Fire & Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.
Also The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron if you like a long book.

Forgot those but loved them all.

soop Fri 11-May-12 13:56:51

I'm hooked on Douglas Kennedy. Am reading The Moment and thoroughly enjoying the experience. The author is an artist with words. Very believable and moving. smile

Benina Fri 11-May-12 16:29:50

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. I loved Harold - this is a really charming tale, you'll want to know what happens but won't want it ever to finish.
Before that I read Painter of Silence by Georgina Harding because I so admire her style she writes beautifully as Margaret Forster wrote in the "blurb" "She lays an image down so gently that it floats in the mind long after" (I wish I'd said that!) All her books are so worth reading and I think this is her best.

Nelliemoser Fri 11-May-12 16:48:18

I am revisiting Barbara Pym.

She wrote a lot in the 50s and 60s. Most of her novels are about people and their every day lives and idiosyncracies. Her character are often former gentility in reduced circumstances, perhaps trying to deal with the changing social circumstances of the 1950s and 60s. There is a lot of gentle humour and compassion for the often rather odd characters she writes about. There are no fast moving plots.

Some novels are..
A quartet in Autumn,
Jane and Prudence.
Excellent Women (I am reading at present.)

A modern American equivalent is Anne Tyler she sets her characters in modern USA, but they are again novels about ordinary people managing their lives at times of crisis. What you get from both writers is that you end up caring about these sometime quite odd people.
Both write well.

ajanela Fri 11-May-12 18:14:41

Just finishing The Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears and it is our book club read this month. Rather a long book and complicated but wonderful interesting writing style and very well researched. Set in the 17th century Oxford. Some one is murdered and the wider events around the murder are told by 4 different men. The Characters are based on real people and events in History.

Ariadne Fri 11-May-12 18:45:22

Lots of lovely light reads, thank you all!

MrsJamJam Fri 11-May-12 19:12:47

We love the Perigord region in France and I have just discovered the Martin Walker books about 'Bruno, Chief of Police'. Evokes the life of a rural community beautifully, and that French obsession with food and wine!

mibs Fri 11-May-12 19:46:28

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
please take care when you get to the last few chapters - find a secluded corner and invest in a large box of tissues. You will love the book, but uncontrollable sobbing is never a good look

goose1964 Sun 13-May-12 09:39:23

me before you also by Jojo Moyes - really thought provoking but nevertheless one of the most enjoyable books i've read in a long time