Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Is anyone else reading less demanding books?

(60 Posts)
Deedaa Mon 22-Oct-12 22:32:16

Am I alone in rarely reading the sort of intellectually demanding "literature" that I ploughed through in my youth? Huxley, Kafka, Camus, Dostoevsky and reams of feminist writing from most of the Virago collection to deeply depressing collections of poetry published in very small editions. I suspect that as we get older we find that life throws enough awful stuff at us without reading about other peoples' troubles. Most of the time I would just rather be entertained.

eGJ Tue 23-Oct-12 21:20:43

If you've enjoyed Miss Read, have you tried Gervase Phinn and his Little School,in the Dales? And have you read What Katy Did again ................lovely!! Having re-read all the Louisa M Alcott books, I happened on March by Geraldine Brooks; it's the American Civil War but featuring Mr March. {read it won the Puliitzer Prize too!] smile

numberplease Tue 23-Oct-12 21:17:21

Oh dear, clicked the wrong brackets!

numberplease Tue 23-Oct-12 21:16:00

I read every one of Georgette Heyer`s books in my teens, might just give `em another go. Am currently working my way, now and again, through Louisa May Alcott, for the first time in nearly 60 years. But I do love a nice, juicy, gory thriller, can`t think why Marelli doesn`t like them! {grin}

MargaretX Tue 23-Oct-12 21:14:24

I could not cope with a Book Club. I hate the feeling of having to read a particular book. For the rest of my life I'm going to read what I like but I have a system. I have a downstairs book and an upstairs book. Downstairs I usually have something like an autobiography or non fiction and upstairs I love to read novels and Ruth Rendell or Donna Leon or other women novelists.

I saw the book Anne Karenina in a Charity shop and it was unabridged. Almost 1000 pages. I have read it twice but never that long version. It would be impossible.

I did read Gone with the Wind at 1000 pages but that is a real page turner. I can't get along with chick lit. Living abroad I have never got used to that kind of dialogue. That way they have of talking to each other, about shopping and sex ...oh dear! Now my age is showing.

Marelli Tue 23-Oct-12 20:22:22

I don't think I'd be able to cope with a book club, because I can't read to order hmm. Some books I flee through and some I take a time to read because I daydream a lot....but I just cannot be without one quite close by. smile

Ana Tue 23-Oct-12 20:18:37

Ooh, that Marian Keyes book's on offer at Asda for £10 (hardback), so start dropping heavy hints, nellie!

I've just finished Jenny Eclair's latest, Life, Death and Vanilla Slices and really enjoyed it. It's not a comedy, although there are some funny bits, but very easy to read with a troubling mystery at the heart of it which is resolved satisfactorily by the end. A very sharp picture of family relationships.

Smoluski Tue 23-Oct-12 20:05:38

Also love Marian Keyes ...mystery of Mersey close is on my wish list as is Felix Francis..son of Dick....Martina cole,Paul ogrady,and a whole lot of chick lit...just want to be entertained,have just recently joined a book club,and battled through a crime book,of mega boring c**pxxxx

baNANA Tue 23-Oct-12 19:05:01

Thanks I'll look out for it.

annodomini Tue 23-Oct-12 18:45:41

baNANA,there's a series, each one focusing on one of the Walsh sisters. Can't remember the order! There's a new one out about now.

baNANA Tue 23-Oct-12 18:26:17

I've always meant to try a Marianne Keyes, what one should I start with anyone?

annodomini Tue 23-Oct-12 18:13:49

Marianne Keyes - quality chick lit!

Ariadne Tue 23-Oct-12 17:51:29

Yes, yes, yes! Such a relief, isn't it?

baNANA Tue 23-Oct-12 17:32:01

If I want an enjoyable, but less demanding read I find both Lisa Jewell and Maeve Binchy, the latter sadly much missed, both very good.

JessM Tue 23-Oct-12 12:32:28

Terry Pratchett - easy read if you have a tolerance for fantasy worlds. And full of with an wisdom.
On holiday I read all the Sam Vimes ones, a fascinating character study in the difficulties of being an honest policeman of humble origins. And managing a diverse workforce.
Any of the ones with witches in are brilliant.

Sook Tue 23-Oct-12 11:55:51

Why worry as long as we enjoy what we read? I particularly enjoy Phillipa Gregory am currently reading The Wise Woman. I also enjoy Lesley Pearce, Diana Gabaldon, Jill Mansell, Katie Fforde and Ann Baker whose stories are based in the Wirral and Liverpool and mention all the places that are dear to me.

I do enjoy biographys and have Marc Almonds and Richard Madeleys currently waiting both charity shop finds.

kittylester Tue 23-Oct-12 11:31:58

Flickety I have all Georgette Heyer's books and might start them again now you have planted the seed. I also read the Pallisers and really enjoyed the Poldark series. Whoever cast the BBC series got Ross Poldark just right!

FlicketyB Tue 23-Oct-12 11:27:03

Well, I have read Georgette Heyer since I was a teenager, relaxing escapist literature when ill, tired or just feeling self indulgent, think log fires, rugs and chocs.

I confess to not reading much fiction but I am currently reading the Palliser novels of Anthony Trollope and all Jane Austen's novels are well thumbed. (and well read). Apart from that I am reading a biography of Disraeli, quite apposite considering he coined the phrase 'One Nation'. I wonder if Milliband knows the source of the phrase and that it was coined by a Tory?

gracesmum Tue 23-Oct-12 11:18:03

I would say different books - I have no shame in reading chick lit (although some of the cheapies from Amazon which I have downloaded to the Kindle were truly awful, so quickly abandoned) and if I don't like a book, I will abandon it (Parade's End - got nowhere) but there are so many good books which fall somewhere in between and it can also depend on mood. So an Ian Rankin last week, Bring Up The Bodies this - so many books, so little time!

Mishap Tue 23-Oct-12 11:00:49

I have found the Miss Read books veryt therapeutic and restful when unwell - I have them all and regularly lend them out as convalescent theraoy for friends.

Barrow Tue 23-Oct-12 10:55:43

When I was working I would read mostly classics, then when I first retired I went for things like James Patterson, Jeffrey Deaver, but lately find myself downloading humour books - anything short and funny. I think my brain cells are dying!

Marelli Tue 23-Oct-12 08:48:34

Crimson, I've bought quite a few Miss Read books from Amazon. I really like the slow paced, often quite humorous stories of ordinary village life, which aren't the 'aga saga' type of thing! Also very fond of Joanna Trollope's books. Have read all of the Nicci French thrillers - I can't do 'gory' though....number knows that......I'm a bit of wimp about that sort of thing! I think I might have a look for Carolla Dunne's books, Hunt - I'll see what the library has when I'm there again ...I'll have to jot the name down or it will go right out of my mind!

Jodi Tue 23-Oct-12 07:30:42

Exactly when

kittylester Tue 23-Oct-12 07:05:10

Another chicklit reader here. I only read in bed and need stuff that is easily absorbed. I usually enjoy Jill Mansell, Katie Fforde etc.

Hunt Mon 22-Oct-12 23:33:26

anyone read Carolla Dunne's books featuring the Hon. Daisy Dalrymple, amateur sleuth. They are like getting a letter from a rather scatty friend.Very amusing and not in the least taxing to the brain.

crimson Mon 22-Oct-12 23:17:09

I do like Rosamunde Pilcher and Miss Read books.