Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Is anyone else reading less demanding books?

(59 Posts)
Grannylin Mon 22-Oct-12 23:11:28

Joanna Trollope isn't intellectually challenging but always enjoyable IMO.

whenim64 Mon 22-Oct-12 23:03:50

I spent my working life reading impenetrable research documents and policies, and would even take the things to bed, or on holiday, as they needed reading several times. My leisure reading material was always heavy, too. Now, I read for entertainment and I will follow recommendations or go to the genres I prefer like psychological thrillers. There are classics I have enjoyed, and I occasionally return to Dickens or Dostoevsky, but give me Jeffrey Deaver, Mark Gimenez or Mark Billingham for rattling good yarns with lots of twists. I don't want to work too hard to be entertained now, and will no longer persist when I find a book uninteresting.

crimson Mon 22-Oct-12 22:59:27

Deeda, that seemed to happen to me when I had the children and stopped reading Tolstoy, Orwell, Dickens etc and switched to H E Bates. It's been downhill all the way since then, except when I [very rarely] find a book that grips me [Captain Corelli; The Kite Runner; The Lovely Bones; The Time Travellers Wife]. I spent most of my youth reading in every spare moment. I'm hoping that, when I retire, it will come back to me. I've tried some chick lit but haven't been able to get into it. The Help was the last new book that I enjoyed, and re reading Seabiscuit [or reading it properly]. I miss disappearing into 'that other world'. Maybe the internet is to blame, because I disappear into that world instead?

vampirequeen Mon 22-Oct-12 22:55:22

I downloaded the Complete Sherlock Holmes. Very light reading but most enjoyable.

Grannyeggs Mon 22-Oct-12 22:50:43

Dee, I'm with you there,I have just ploughed my way through Anna Karenina for my book group and have vowed from now on just to read stuff that makes me laugh or entertains me. I have down loaded a whole lot of murder mysteries on to my Kindle, none of which cost more than 1.99, and I am really looking forward to reading them.I am fed up with the depressing stuff and 900pages is 700 too many in my opinion. smile

Mishap Mon 22-Oct-12 22:39:55

Our book club has just read Ragnarok by A S Byatt and not one of us got through it. Perfectly impossible - has brilliant reviews from the posh newspapers, but for all of us (with a combined impressive list of professional and other educational qualifications) it proved completely inaccessible. Indeed we all felt that it was a waste of life to continue with it. Maybe that is the key - we are all retired or close thereto and there is a sense that there is no point wasting time reading stuff that does not speak to us in any way.

Touch of the emporer's new clothes for my money - and also it is based on norse myths which do nothing for me anyway.

ninathenana Mon 22-Oct-12 22:39:38

most of what I read is "chick lit" I like the fact that it doesn't take much brain power grin

I get my mental stimulation elsewhere

glassortwo Mon 22-Oct-12 22:37:09

Dee I read some right trash at times, its light entertainment when I need to escape.

Deedaa Mon 22-Oct-12 22:32:16

Am I alone in rarely reading the sort of intellectually demanding "literature" that I ploughed through in my youth? Huxley, Kafka, Camus, Dostoevsky and reams of feminist writing from most of the Virago collection to deeply depressing collections of poetry published in very small editions. I suspect that as we get older we find that life throws enough awful stuff at us without reading about other peoples' troubles. Most of the time I would just rather be entertained.