Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Thursdays in the Park

(47 Posts)
jO5 Fri 16-Nov-12 09:55:11

Aparently this book, written by a woman in her sixties, (first novel) has been a top seller on Kindle for some time now.

It, all on its own, has coined a new genre - "Granslit"!

Thursdays in the Park

Only 20p too!

jO5 Fri 16-Nov-12 18:21:22

And the robin family!!! smile

eGJ Fri 16-Nov-12 18:23:41

Thought I'd follow the recommendations having read the thread and discover I downloaded it at the beginning of the month and it is awaiting reading (will have to be behind the new Maeve Binchy and the new John Grisham which my lovely library have got for me as I was first in the queue!) smile

grrrranny Fri 16-Nov-12 22:16:57

Finished book. Won't post more because I don't want to give away who dunnit. grin

yogagran Fri 16-Nov-12 22:33:07

Did you enjoy it though???

grrrranny Sat 17-Nov-12 09:17:11

Because my mind had cast Martin Shaw as the 'hero' (Ray - I think MS was Ray in the Professionals all those years ago) it was quite fun. I usually read crime/thrillers so this was a complete change and it was a little difficult not to keep thinking 'unbelievable rubbish' but so are my usual reading matter. I just accept that Jack Reacher is invincible which is just as silly as the ending of this book which I still shan't reveal. It was better than hoovering which is what I should have been doing grin

kittylester Sat 17-Nov-12 16:46:33

I haven't read it but everything I have read about it reminds me of Ria in 'Butterflies' but possibly with more sex than the Beeb could show at that time.

mrshat Sat 17-Nov-12 16:57:22

She wrote an article about it in the Telegraph today! Made me interested and I might buy it - don't have a Kindle so it will have to be a real book! grin

glammanana Sat 17-Nov-12 17:17:13

The author seems to be doing well 60+ or not as she has sold the film rights to the book and it will be made next year so her bank manager will be happy I should think.

Ariadne Sat 17-Nov-12 17:53:01

It was OK as a comfort read - undemanding.

annodomini Mon 19-Nov-12 16:17:50

Very well-heeled granlit. I suppose it would have complicated matters if the protgagonists had been claiming pension credits and housing benefits instead of living in £million houses. I can't say I will be moved to read any further books she may write. The plot is a bit of a cliché and the dialogue stiff - more like speechifying than natural give and take. Having said that, I read it to find out what happened. I can't understand all the fuss about it. Would that have happened if the writer and characters had been 30 -40 somethings rather than babyboomers? hmm

LucyO Tue 20-Nov-12 15:23:25

There are plenty of books out there on Kindle written by people of 60+ about our age group and and about the 1950s and 1960s which we might find interesting. I can't see what all the fuss is about. I dislike 'chicklit' and 'grannylit' might be what we're looking for. Try 'The Azalea Garden' on Kindle.

gma Tue 20-Nov-12 15:29:13

Finished reading 'Thursdays in the Park' and must agree with Ariadne!! Undemanding read, could have been better!! Characters quite bland, and could have had more substance. Why oh Why did Jeanie put up with dipppy George for soooooo long!!!!! His 'hidden secret' did not ring true at all. The awful 'baby language' really annoyed me, very difficult to translate to paper well. Not my usual genre of literature, I prefer something a bit more demanding and rewarding. wink

Ana Tue 20-Nov-12 15:38:29

Sounds awful! I won't be bothering...hmm

jO5 Tue 20-Nov-12 15:42:24

I thought it would be a bit bad tbh.

Don't know how she came to be on the Today programme. confused There was enough news about.

eGJ Thu 29-Nov-12 17:18:59

Probably 20p is the correct value! It keep me going through a train journey delayed, by the floods, but not believable and the number of varieties of relationships made it more so. annodomini you are right Why all the fuss? confused

jO5 Thu 29-Nov-12 17:23:19

She is probably well in the top sellers still. All the lurkers, all one thousand four hundred odd, will have bought it just to see.

jO5 Thu 29-Nov-12 17:23:51

Hey! I started this thread!

I want commission!

Stansgran Thu 29-Nov-12 18:40:31

I loved the Robin family(my mother had Woman's Weekly delivered) and thought about them today wheni bought a beautiful robin tree decoration from the fair trade shop. But I liked Curly Wee and Gussie Goose better. Would they allow a children's cartoon (2 pictures and verse daily)with names like that now?
And disliked the book even for 20 p-so patronising of the press to be suprised to think that an old person can write . Should be mouldering in a care home with crumbs down her front is what I felt the newspaper reporter really felt

annodomini Thu 29-Nov-12 18:47:01

WW once had a pair of small dolls, a brunette and a blonde, which my mum used to dress using patterns from the magazine. She just loved dressing dolls.

jO5 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:27:53

I had those dolls anno. Twins. My mum used to knit clothes for them. Lovely! smile

JAC Sat 05-Jan-13 16:33:28

Hi All
I have some FREE short stories on my little website. Two are about romance for us older teenagers!! Look at www.janecarling.co.uk and feel free tocomment. I am a new and so far unpublished writer.