Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Growing old disgracefully (win a copy of Virginia Ironside's new book)

(155 Posts)
Carigransnet (GNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 11:46:12

We've been enjoying Virginia's latest novel (No! I Don't Need Reading Glasses!) - a book (and we quote) "which shows that getting on a bit does not mean giving up or even growing up".

Virginia has also taken to the stage recently with her one-woman show Growing Old Disgracefully...so we thought we'd nick borrow that idea for a thread and see what tips gransnetters have. As her publishers have kindly offered 5 copies of the book to give away (RRP £14.99) we've asked Virginia to pick her favourites and we will send one to each winner. You can (obviously) contribute to this thread any time but the competition element will close at midday on Tues 5 Feb.

NfkDumpling Fri 08-Feb-13 20:31:51

Thank you!

Galen Fri 08-Feb-13 20:12:22

grin

And Thankyou for the book!

MaryXYX Fri 08-Feb-13 20:09:42

Galen: I guess neither of us have found the right gym! They must exist.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Feb-13 15:41:27

grin

Movedalot Wed 06-Feb-13 15:35:52

Gosh, I've won something without even entering the competitions! I must start. Thank you very much.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Feb-13 15:33:57

Just received the results [need drumroll emoticon] ...and the winners are: Jeni, Movedalot, NfkDumling, merlotgran and pamaga. Congratulations all - and check your inboxes for an email from us very shortly

HildaW Wed 06-Feb-13 13:28:19

When we moved to look after 88 year old FIL with dementia, poor circulation, weak heart, gout, high blood pressure etc etc. We very quickly had several letters addressed to him arrive from one of Bannatyne's gyms offering him membershp. We though it was a hoot so after the third letter arrived OH composed a rather ironicly toned letter as if from him regretfully declining the several offers duw to lack of zimmer frames, stailifts and XXXXl leotards etc. It was hilarious but unfortunately no one at Bannatynes had the sense of humour to respond.....a lost opportunity in public relations we thought.

Galen Wed 06-Feb-13 13:14:56

The what? Really grin
When I last looked in a gym all there were were a load of flabby obese sweating males of the late middle age generation and a couple of 6stone weakling types!

Where do you live?
I might move and join a gym,

MaryXYX Wed 06-Feb-13 13:09:09

I have seen references to gym memberships. Do any of us actually do that? I exercise regularly, in my own flat. Why would I pay for a gym membership and have to travel to do the same?

Oh yes - I forgot. All the young men with rippling muscles and tight pants. Perhaps I will join a gym after all!

constance Wed 06-Feb-13 09:19:52

Loved the idea of dancing with zimmer frames - I always said I aspired to a diamanté zimmer frame. These days I suppose you would say 'bejazzled'

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 05-Feb-13 12:02:25

Competition element now closed - but do continue to post grin

NannaAnna Tue 05-Feb-13 00:58:57

whoops sunshine No capital 'S'

NannaAnna Tue 05-Feb-13 00:57:06

I'm still too young to be old, and I always will be. [Sunshine]

Both my paternal grandparents lived to be 100+ and worked their land until the day they didn't wake up. They enjoyed their drink and their social life at the village pub. They worked hard and played hard (and had a tough life in the rural ireland of the late 19th & early-mid 20th century). They remained vibrant and interesting people, and the question of age never came up. They were strong, fit and healthy, and probably just 'wore out' when they passed the 100 mark.
I am absolutely them genetically, and essentially have no concept of being limited by my accumulating years smile

Fflaurie Mon 04-Feb-13 12:54:45

Don't bemoan getting older, the alternative is far worse!

gracesmum Mon 04-Feb-13 12:22:19

Nails and lippy and big hair and colourful scarves are not the answer - look at the current pictures of "La Lolla" -Gina Lollobrigida, more a case of growing old pathetically not disgracefully or even gracefully. A 51-year-old gold digger "husband" or a 25 year-old toyboy accessory only serves to underline that there's no fool like an old fool!

baubles Sun 03-Feb-13 19:50:14

Having just looked at this thread for the first time I'm struck by the number of posters whose names I haven't seen before. Its quite refreshing.smile I know there are many more GNet members than there are regular posters so I'm off to read some of the other threads that I haven't had a chance to look at.

Returning to the OP, I don't have any tips as I don't think about growing older except to note that after looking after my two DGDs for 24 hours I'm practically on my knees with exhaustion!

I've less energy but far more patience and tolerance. There's always an upside sunshine

annodomini Sun 03-Feb-13 19:40:12

I'm happy doing my own manicures but would love to have a weekly or fortnightly pedicure. I think the salon at my health club does mini pedis. Must look into it. I like to have polished nails come summer and sandals - hopefully.

JessM Sun 03-Feb-13 18:48:49

jo are you serious that you would love to be Patsy? hmm
I'm impressed snailspeak while some of us are slouching around in layers of thermals and fleeces you are getting a spring makeover.

annodomini Sun 03-Feb-13 16:29:17

If I took off my glasses I'd need to move everything about half a mile away - presbyopia: long-sightedness.

Hey, there's a thought - different coloured contact lenses. Wonder if my family would even notice... wink

jeni Sun 03-Feb-13 15:57:15

ANY activity?

Stef1972 Sun 03-Feb-13 14:57:49

Any activity as you get old is good for you. Inactivity is the biggest enemy as you get older. It doesn’t mean sitting down is bad for you

snailspeak Fri 01-Feb-13 22:54:05

Does Virginia think that I make the grade? There are so many good answers. Loved reading them all.

I have updated my Facebook with a photo taken last October - Carol Vickery Glenwright. Not quite au fait with Facebook but intend on 'ring fencing myself over the weekend.[hmmm]

snailspeak Fri 01-Feb-13 22:51:29

The hairdressers/beauty salon below my gym does mini-manicures for £7 - discount as gym member. Old varnish removed (and there are usually several layers of touch up to remove; cuticles oiled and pushed back, layer undercoat, 2 layers of varnish + topcoat and the girl who does my nails has a much steadier hand than me. wine

snailspeak Fri 01-Feb-13 22:48:20

And I have a new prescription for my specs AND some lovely, ie designer
frames. Worked out cost per usage so justified big price tag and off to buy them on Monday. I feel a spending spree coming on! Oh dear, has to be out with the old and in with the new. sunshine

j07 Fri 01-Feb-13 22:37:13

I would love to be Patsy.