Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Q&A

(85 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 31-Jan-13 15:20:54

Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn's thriller about a young woman who disappears on her fifth wedding anniversary, topped the bestseller lists in America and went straight into the top 10 when it came out in paperback here.

It's our Book of the Month for February and Gillian will be doing a Q&A with us at the end of the month.

Ask your questions here. Don't forget spoiler alerts! smile

dirgni Sat 20-Jul-13 17:04:54

My daughter in law lent me a copy and I'm glad to say that I must be one of the very few people who thoroughly enjoyed it and found it a compelling read!

Charleygirl Sat 20-Jul-13 17:26:19

I struggled with it, only reading a couple of chapters and gave up. I found it slow and boring.

Ariadne Sat 20-Jul-13 17:34:10

Couldn't stop reading! Very well crafted, a readerly text.

janeainsworth Sat 20-Jul-13 17:44:06

I enjoyed it too - I thought the way it portrayed the changing relationship very cleverly done, and the rather inconclusive ending seemed to mirror what life is really like.

Grannyknot Thu 25-Jul-13 17:12:30

I just finished reading this book, having been completely drawn in, until the part where the reader learns the truth about Amy. Then I sort of skim-read the rest, because I wasn't really convinced by the convoluted denouement.

The ending was a bit Rosemary' s Baby. Anyway I came on here wanting to read the Q & A, but can't find it. Did the author do Q & A?

Grannyeggs Thu 25-Jul-13 18:14:27

I really couldn't get to grip with it, but so many people I know liked it, I might try again. The main characters were awful,should I take it on holiday and make myself read it, or just give it away?

janeainsworth Thu 25-Jul-13 19:32:12

www.gransnet.com/webchats/gone-girl-gillian-flynn
Here you are Grannyknot smile

Grannyknot Thu 25-Jul-13 23:03:34

Cheers, Jane.

Teresa1 Thu 22-Aug-13 10:08:49

have tried to get into reading the book, but as already said, found it unusual. However, will certainly give another try.