Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - now the book club thread!

(131 Posts)
dahlia Sun 07-Apr-13 20:45:09

This may have been covered elsewhere - sorry in advance if this is the case. I've just finished "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" and found it the most unusual and moving book. I'm sure other Gransnet members have enjoyed it too. It's a long time since I was moved to tears more than once by a book, which at the same time was also funny in parts. Has anyone else read it?

gracesmum Sun 07-Apr-13 21:09:17

I have, loved it and we are reading it for the next meeting of my book group. I was put off initially by the title and synopsis, but it turned out so much better than I expected.

HappyGran Sun 07-Apr-13 21:13:42

I loved it so much that I read it twice. Was quite sad really to get to the end of it.

annodomini Sun 07-Apr-13 21:21:10

Wonderful, moving, life-enhancing novel. I am going to recommend it to our book group.

Tegan Sun 07-Apr-13 22:20:47

I couldn't understand why he kept having his deck shoes repaired when I thought you couldn't re sole deck shoes [but I could be wrong].

GrandmaH Wed 10-Apr-13 12:50:10

I loved it & we did it at reading group too. It was a populer choice. I see it was written as a radio play first which makes sense as it was 'added to' to pad out into a novel.
I got a bit lost when he was joined by the hangers on but it redeemed itself in the end.

GrandmaH Wed 10-Apr-13 12:55:01

If you liked Harold Fry you will love The Thoughts & Happenings of Wilfred Price by Helen Joyce.
We had a really good discussion about it last night at Reading Group. Everyone had enjoyed it but for all sorts of different reasons. It's like a soft centred sweet that suddenly has a hard nut in the middle. I had to read it twice as the first time I just had to know what happened & the 2nd time to appreciate the writing & the gentle wit.
I hope she writes some more books soon!

glassortwo Wed 10-Apr-13 12:57:32

Dh has just finished it, I have it on my to read pile.
He enjoyed it, also said he felt abit lost in the middle and wondered where it was going, but he was glad he had stuck with it.
Reading the last few chapters in bed a few nights ago he was struck with some watering eye irritation...cant think what caused that wink.

He thought it would make a good film.

gillybob Wed 10-Apr-13 13:00:38

Just downloaded it onto my kindle dahlia can't wait to start it. smile

Bez Wed 10-Apr-13 13:24:17

The choice of our book club this month too. - have it downloaded so must get going now DD has gone back home

MaggieP Thu 16-May-13 13:58:47

Thank you GN, my copy of Harold Fry has just arrived and I look forward to reading it after about three others books in the queue !smile

kittylester Thu 16-May-13 14:01:14

I'm taking it to the seaside with me next week and really looking forward to it especially after the above reviews. smile

Pittcity Thu 16-May-13 14:52:55

I too have received a copy from GN today. Hoping for a sunny weekend so I can sit outside and read.

matson Thu 16-May-13 16:43:15

Harold fry is a lovely book, sad , happy, moving , tissues required! x

whenim64 Thu 16-May-13 17:30:22

Thanks GN, i've just arrived home to find my Harold Fry book on the doormat. smile

grandimars Thu 16-May-13 17:45:12

Just got home and found mine on the mat. Thank you very much. As I just finished my current read over breakfast I will start on it straight away.

Galen Thu 16-May-13 18:24:03

Ditto.

wisewoman Thu 16-May-13 20:22:36

I have it on audiobook on my iPod. I listen at night when I can't sleep. The story is read by the guy who played Iris Murdoch's husband in the movie about her dementia. Can't remember his name but he has a lovely voice and reads the story so beautifully that I have had a wee weep from time to time. It is such a wonderful story.

Charleygirl Thu 16-May-13 22:20:57

I received a copy this morning and reading what others have said about the book I have just worked out that it came from GN. I had no idea where it had come from as there was no note or anything but thank you anyway.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 17-May-13 05:44:10

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry is our book of the month for May. Rachel Joyce will be coming in to GNHQ for a live webchat on Monday 3 June, so add your questions here.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 17-May-13 05:47:19

Should have put a link to the page. That's what comes of getting up when woken by the dawn chorus moon

It's The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

babba Fri 17-May-13 16:47:50

As so many have said previously! I also found the book quite moving and have recommended it to my friends.
I am fascinated as from where the concept came. Had Rachel witnessed a 'Harold and his wife' relationship or was it totally imagined.

betsysgran Fri 17-May-13 17:53:30

Just received my copy today. Great timing as I finished a book last night. Looking forward to it after reading the other posts. Thanks again Gransnet.

PHM12 Fri 17-May-13 20:23:42

We read it at our Book Club. It was well received but several were disappointed at the ending. It was as if the author ran out of steam.

toppers Fri 17-May-13 22:58:37

I have just received this book from publishers via gransnet ( thank you) just getting Into it and can't put it Down. Great so far.