Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Cleaner of Chartres by Salley Vickers

(55 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 20-Jun-13 16:21:13

Our June book club novel is The Cleaner of Chartres by bestselling author Salley Vickers.

What is the secret of the young woman who cleans the cathedral every morning and whose life has become entwined with so many others in Chartres?

Salley will be dong a Q&A for us. So, please - especially if you got one of the free books - ask her a question by Monday 8 July.

dirgni Thu 20-Jun-13 20:35:43

Many thanks gransnet for this book! I really enjoyed every moment of it,a really great and well written story about various very different and colourful characters. I particularly liked the ending that was partly left open for the imagination . Highly recommend !

merlotgran Thu 20-Jun-13 20:44:48

Thanks for the book, G/Net. I'm about half way through and really enjoying it. Wonderful characters.

glammanana Thu 20-Jun-13 23:46:45

Thanks so much for the book it is next on my list for reading so will be well finished in time for Q&As.

JillMay Fri 21-Jun-13 15:32:29

Thank you for the book which I received Saturday and finished this morning. I thought it was great and it has made me want to visit the Cathedral next time I am in France. It was well written with great characters.

EastEndGranny Fri 21-Jun-13 18:20:00

I was so pleased to get my copy as I have really enjoyed Sally Vickers other books. It have only just started reading it but am already hooked!

Hameringham Fri 21-Jun-13 18:35:16

Copy received - many thanks - I look forward to a good read.

goose1964 Fri 21-Jun-13 18:36:15

I really enjoyed it - glad it had a happy ending

Kizzie Fri 21-Jun-13 19:02:50

Thank you Gransnet for this giveaway. A rich array of characters, some good some bad! It's a story of love, loss, mystery, faith and forgiveness. Well written, it held my interest right the way through and had an ending that suggests there could be a follow up. An enjoyable read.

betsysgran Fri 21-Jun-13 20:14:59

Thanks Gransnet. Nearly finished Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day (great book and film) and this is next on my list.

Lowslung Fri 21-Jun-13 20:48:13

Thank you Gransnet - I really enjoyed this book - great characters in an interesting setting - excellent storyline with a nice little twist to the tale

brawlass Fri 21-Jun-13 22:16:33

Thankyou for this lovely giveaway. Sun was shining so sat out in the garden reading it (and imagined myself in Chartres) - better than being on holiday! Most enjoyable read.

Annie29 Sat 22-Jun-13 18:09:10

Thank you for my copy. I am enjoying reading it and finding it hard to put down.

inishowen Sat 22-Jun-13 20:24:59

Thank you for the book. I took it on holiday to Jersey and read it very quickly. It was fabulous. I said to my hubby "I don't want this book to end"! It was such an interesting story. At first I thought it was set in the past, then realised it was right up to date. I'm so glad it had a happy ending. I left my copy in the hotel, hoping that someone else will pick it up and enjoy it. I am now going to be looking out for more books by this author.

merlotgran Sun 23-Jun-13 16:27:22

I have just finished this lovely book. I'm off to Amazon to buy another Salley (funny spelling?) Vickers

nancy22 Mon 24-Jun-13 10:03:15

thank you for this book. i am half way through it and don't want to put it down

nancy22 Mon 24-Jun-13 10:09:45

did you base any characters in this book on anyone you know?

weather Tue 25-Jun-13 19:53:18

I have just finished reading this book.....many thanks for the free copy.
Its certainly very different and engaging I found it very interesting..I am glad too that it had an happy ending..sad that you felt the need to put in the "F" word as the book was written so well and cleverly it really didn't need it.
Thankyou so much for all the time and effort you put into writing this book to keep all your readers wondering what will happen next and I look forward to your next one.

glammanana Tue 25-Jun-13 22:28:12

This was a really good read and I do hope that there will be a follow up such a lovely discription of the Cathedral I found the characters interesting and it was very hard to put the book down I kept sneaking back to it during the day,thank you GN for my copy.

snowyboots Fri 28-Jun-13 11:37:47

Thank you for my copy of this lovely book. How do you start writing your books? does it come from an idea that grows and do you always know how it is going to end?

Lotie Fri 28-Jun-13 12:55:47

Thank you for this book. I am really enjoying reading it and the central character is very engaging. The descriptions of the cathedral are detailed and evocative. I loved Miss Garnet's Angel and this novel is as good.

Stansgran Fri 28-Jun-13 22:21:03

I loved the book. Thank you Gransnet . I loved Salley's previous books and wondered if she had spent time in the places where she set her novels. How long if she did ,did she spend in Chartres and what drew her to choose that city? I did find it puzzling the time it was set in. Had she ever read Maupassant? I occasionally felt atmospheric inklings of some of his rural stories .

Grannyknot Sat 29-Jun-13 10:01:05

Inishowen so glad I'm not the only one who at first thought it was taking place in the past - maybe because of the author's style. I'm enjoying it so far.

numberplease Sat 29-Jun-13 18:20:49

I finished the book last night, and to my surprise, really enjoyed it. At first, I thought I wasn`t going to like it, thought it might be a bit boring, but was very pleasantly surprised. It`s made me want to visit Chartres cathedral.

maamaa Sun 30-Jun-13 10:39:24

This book cast a spell that made it impossible to put down. From almost nothing appears a web of interwoven strands, with nothing superfluous but much that enriches us. A few days after reading it, I discovered among my acquaintances a latter-day Madame Beck - but having read this tale I found it much easier to be forgiving! Long live novels that touch our own hearts!

My question to Salley Vickers for the webchat - does this novel owe anything to Flaubert's 'Coeur Simple'? To this reader, it appeared almost as a mirror-image in its economy of language and emotion, but in outcome I found it infinitely more satisfying.