Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Cleaner of Chartres by Salley Vickers

(56 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 20-Jun-13 16:21:13

Our June book club novel is The Cleaner of Chartres by bestselling author Salley Vickers.

What is the secret of the young woman who cleans the cathedral every morning and whose life has become entwined with so many others in Chartres?

Salley will be dong a Q&A for us. So, please - especially if you got one of the free books - ask her a question by Monday 8 July.

Gorki Wed 17-Jul-13 06:19:18

I really enjoyed this book and all the diverse characters who appeared on the pages The cathedral made an unusual backdrop and I particularly liked the short chapters so I could pick it up and read a short bit at a time. Thank you.

Buddie Wed 17-Jul-13 16:12:46

Thank you so much for the copy of this delightful book. Having already read Miss Garnet's Angel and Mr Golightly's Holiday I guessed I was in for a good read and was not disappointed.

I found Agnes an enigmatic pivotal character yet the rest of the cast fitted naturally around her and, for a seemingly simple, uncomplicated person, everyone had an opinion of her. I loved the way the story of the cathedral and Agnes own back-story were told quite naturally through the words and actions of the other characters. Clearly the setting is well researched yet the depth of information offered does not detract in any way from the unfolding of the story.

I look forward to catching up on other novels by Salley Vickers that I have missed and hope we do not have long to wait for another delight to hit the shelves.

janerowena Thu 05-Sep-13 11:30:47

I went away on holiday and took this book with me, and loved it. Yesterday friends and I started up a new book club, and it will be my first recommendation.

Bez Thu 05-Sep-13 12:27:05

I read it while away visiting friends - I loved it too.

GrandmaH Tue 19-Nov-13 12:50:42

Just read it- absolutely loved it. We are doing it for Reading Group this month.
Wonderful story