Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Beautiful Ruins Q&A

(65 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 15-Jul-13 17:09:38

Our summer reading book club is Jess Walter's acclaimed novel, Beautiful Ruins. Spanning five decades and half the globe, it's got everything from the Ligurian coast to Los Angeles, from clapped-out musicians and would-be screenwriters to Richard Burton.

Ask a question for Jess Walter here (especially if you got a free book!) before 19 August.

Gorki Mon 22-Jul-13 13:49:29

Thank you so much for my copy which arrived this morning. I am looking forward to starting it. I will try to read it more quickly than I usually do so that I can contribute a question smile

betsysgran Mon 22-Jul-13 13:53:35

Thank you very much for my copy which arrived this morning. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Stansgran Mon 22-Jul-13 18:08:13

Thank you for my copy which was waiting here when I got back from my hols. I am starting it next week. It's lovely having a real book after a week on Kindle

Gally Mon 22-Jul-13 18:17:52

Thanks for mine too which arrived today

numberplease Tue 23-Jul-13 00:02:41

My copy arrived today, thank you, will read it when I finish the one I`m on at the moment.

Stansgran Wed 24-Jul-13 14:52:55

My question is not about the book as I'm going to read it on holiday but about the book cover. I recently met an American who had been asked onto the board of Penguin who recommended several books to me and it struck me that this Penguin book looked distinctly American in style. I can't precisely pinpoint the difference in style but I seem to be able to recognize books bought in Barnes & Noble on my DD's bookshelves from when she has been in NY. Who makes the decision on the cover?

Stansgran Wed 24-Jul-13 14:54:26

BTW I have said thank you on another thread. I wasn't being churlish.

Lotie Wed 24-Jul-13 21:03:14

Thanks for my copy which I'll take on holiday next week.

numberplease Wed 24-Jul-13 23:25:18

Just begun reading it, but not far enough in to have an opinion as yet.

weather Thu 25-Jul-13 21:27:12

thankyou so much for my copy I will start reading it as soon as I have finished reading Village Teacher

hummingbird Thu 25-Jul-13 22:20:09

My copy has arrived - thank you! Looking forward to it!

EastEndGranny Thu 25-Jul-13 22:28:28

Like many I am part way through Beautiful Ruins. What has particularly Interested me so far is what I have learnt about the effect of the Second World War on Italy. Something I had not thought about before. I have Italian neighbours and I have since discussed this with them and it has led to a very interesting conversation. I liked the use of the'novel' to bring in the detail of the war. I like the way the story is set in two entirly different locations. It took me a while to get into the story but now I am very intrigued/ hooked and wonder where the story will go. I was really pleased to receive the book - thank you.

Grannybug Thu 25-Jul-13 22:44:28

Thank you for my copy of "Beautiful Ruins". Looking forward to starting it this weekend.

chrissy5061 Fri 26-Jul-13 00:26:14

Thank you for the lovely book Beautiful Ruins, It arrived just in time as I had just finished reading another novel. Only read one chapter so far, but it sounds great, so hope to finish it in time to submit a question. Thanks once again.

inishowen Fri 26-Jul-13 09:17:30

Thank you for my copy. I started it last night and have read half already. It takes a while to get the hang of the various stories and writers, but it is very cleverly done. A hit for me.

JillMay Fri 26-Jul-13 09:48:25

Thanks for my copy which I am half way through. Found it somewhat disjointed at the beginning but I am enjoying it now that I have got further into it.

Gorki Fri 26-Jul-13 12:55:20

Hope for me yet then ! I have read about 70 pages and have found it difficult to get really interested in any of the characters.

nipsmum Fri 26-Jul-13 14:56:23

Thank you for this book . I will read it as soon as possible.I will submit a question as soon as i have done that

numberplease Fri 26-Jul-13 15:43:22

I Vtoo found it a mite confusing at the beginning, but am enjoying it now.

Thurgy Fri 26-Jul-13 16:56:22

Arrived back from holiday and found my copy waiting. Thank you. Will settle down and commence reading this weekend. Be in touch later with comment.

kinjil Sat 27-Jul-13 12:51:33

I agree Gorki, am finding it hard going at the moment, but in view of other comments I will continue. Have read a lot of female writers lately and having to adjust a bit!

kinjil Sat 27-Jul-13 12:54:33

Should add NOT chick lot but Hilary Mantel and Jodi Picoult et al.

Maniac Sat 27-Jul-13 16:44:06

Thanks for 'Beautiful Ruins'.I now have two books to read as Galen kindly passed onto me her copy of 'Cleaner of Chartres'.
Find that in the hot weather I tend to fall asleep over my book.
Just had a light shower of rain here so might get some reading done today

Treebee Sat 27-Jul-13 19:31:16

I finished this today having borrowed it from the library. I was so interested in Pasquale, Dee and the Hotel Adequate View that I begrudged leaving their story and being plunged into another character's world.
The humour is exquisite though, and the threads are brought together well. I appreciated being told the fate of even very minor characters too.
My question is, why such a dire jacket? This book, though having had great reviews, sat on the new books stand for several days before I borrowed it.