Gransnet forums

Books/book club

SF/Fantasy/Magical realism anyone?

(100 Posts)
JessM Sat 31-Aug-13 15:16:05

Currently reading The Long War, by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.
Very enjoyable read, as was its predecessor, The Long Earth. Flashes of vintage TP humour.
www.amazon.co.uk/The-Long-War-Earth/dp/0857520113
Anyone else like reading about imaginary worlds? What's your favourite?

mollie Sun 05-Jan-14 12:50:45

Obviously, (if you've noticed my thread) I've discovered Neil Gaiman this week and adored The Ocean... story and will look for more of his books. I'm not sure where I stand with these types of tales, I couldn't read Tolkien and slept through all three films at the cinema, didn't mind the Pullman books but didn't like the film and admit to laughing out loud at Pratchett. I love the idea of a bit of magic in the world of fiction (not in real life though!) and am always on the look out for something different. Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series was a lovely discovery last year and I gather it's being made for TV soon. Another was Scott Lynch's Lies of Loche Lamora although I've never read the follow up and can't think why...

JessM Sun 05-Jan-14 13:20:29

Oh thanks I will look at those.
Tolkein is a bit turgid and lacks female characters. i would not bother to re-read and also fell asleep in one of the films.

Galen Sun 05-Jan-14 13:47:59

Now I've got into it, I'm enjoying game of thrones ( nothing better to do at present)
Although I blame it for my shoulder

broomsticks Fri 10-Jan-14 09:23:26

Got a bit bored with the Vor books now. I liked the female pov best I think. I've just reread the Earthsea trilogy. The Farthest Shore is an amazing book! Also read the latest Pratchett but really out of loyalty for all the wonderful books he's written. The latest ones don't really appeal to me much but ...

JessM Fri 10-Jan-14 10:47:37

Not perhaps at his best, bless him.

JessM Fri 10-Jan-14 10:50:26

Some of the Vor books more gripping than others. I liked the one about Ivan Captain V.... etc
London Rivers reminds me of Torchwood - no surprise if you look at the author's background. Kind of think this kind of thing works better on telly than on paper. But not a bad read.

janthea Fri 10-Jan-14 13:28:34

What about Christopher Paolini's books - Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance? I certainly enjoyed them.

Stansgran Fri 10-Jan-14 14:24:54

Just downloaded the latest ? Terry Pratchett . Could you tell me the name of the new Lyndsey Davis one please?

cazthebookworm Sat 11-Jan-14 09:46:30

I have never been interested in Fantasy but was introduced to Neil Gaiman's "Stardust" through our book group. I must say, I really enjoyed it, like a Grimms fairy tale. I am certainly going to look out for more of his books, especially "Neverwhen" which was recommended earlier on the thread. I was informed that he had a very strong following on "Twitter," not that I know anything about that media!!

broomsticks Sat 11-Jan-14 15:43:52

I liked the first two Ivan ones then got a bit bored, Jess.

Cazthebookworm have you tried The Anansi Boys? I love that and The Graveyard Book, though that is supposedly for children.

The latest Falco is Called the Ides of April. It's about Alba rather than Marcus Didius. stansgran

Ooh, I'm talking a lot blush

cazthebookworm Sat 11-Jan-14 17:09:01

Thanks for your recommendations broomsticks, I shall look out for them in the library next time I am there am give you my opinion on them.

JessM Sat 11-Jan-14 17:57:48

Why the blush broomsticks we like to hear from you? I could also recommend broomsticks modern take on fairy tales if you have not read it folks, Very entertaining

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Broomsticks-Walking-Sticks-Zimmer-Frames-ebook/dp/B00A93ZK9E/ref=sr_1_6?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1389462816&sr=1-6&keywords=broomsticks

Still going with London Rivers - I do find the juxtaposition of the young copper in today's Met (gritty realism) and magic a little odd and have to keep reminding myself "it's like Torchwood" - where the young copper was in Cardiff of course and it was aliens instead of magic grin

cazthebookworm Sat 11-Jan-14 23:05:55

Oh, I had completely forgotten the connection to you broomsticks. I actually bought your book for a friend of mine for Xmas but I haven't seen her since then, so I don't know what she thought of it. It was something out of her comfort zone which I thought she needed to broaden her horizons. She does enjoy traditional fairy tales, so I hope she appreciates your take on them, I'll let you know.

Humbertbear Sun 12-Jan-14 10:44:36

Just read Veronica Roths trilogy starting with Divergent. It's about a city (Chicago unnamed) where people are put into tribes according to their personalities - Dauntless, Candor, Erudite, Abnegation, Amity). A real page turner from first to least. The first film is out in April starring Kate Winslett.

broomsticks Sun 12-Jan-14 17:12:33

Thanks Jess and Caz. A friend has done some great pictures for me actually https://www.facebook.com/pages/Broomsticks-Walking-Sticks-and-Zimmer-Frames/232577006891492?ref=hl. It's just for fun grin

Thinking about Terry Pratchett the last one I really loved was Nation. Wonderful, funny and nearly had me in tears as well.

feetlebaum Sun 12-Jan-14 17:54:38

Any Robert Rankin fans here? He covers a wider range of lunacy than Sir Pterry... I found the first one, The Antipope, in a Sydney bookstore - brought it home - my girlfriend read it and went out and bought me everything he had written to date! Those were the Brentford books (in one of which the site of the Garden of Eden turned out to be where the Brentford football stadium is now). He is a genuinely funny man (take a look at his FaceBook posts!)
and his novels are - unpredictable...

JessM Sun 12-Jan-14 18:11:24

Oh I think i must have over the years. Must have a look. Are you writing anything at the moment broomsticks ?

broomsticks Mon 13-Jan-14 15:44:19

I'm trying to rehash old books I've written Jess. I've put a children's one up on authonomy and am getting a lot of helpful crits.
How about you on the writing front?

I think I ought to try Robert Rankin. I did dip into one and didn't like it but that's not exactly a fair trial.

JessM Sat 18-Jan-14 10:22:51

Thank you for this Mollie : Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series
My only complaint is that i am on the fourth book and I would like another 4 please. I got used to suspending disbelief once i was into the second one. Very Gaiman-esqe

broomsticks Mon 20-Jan-14 16:21:26

Sounds interesting if it's like Gaiman. I'll have a look too.

Galen Mon 20-Jan-14 16:59:11

Is dance with dragons the last of the game of thrones series?

broomsticks Thu 23-Jan-14 17:57:03

Yes, I think so Galen I've lost track a bit. I hope he doesn't do a Robert Jordan and keep going round in circles so that we never actually find out what happens in the end.

Galen Thu 23-Jan-14 18:08:53

I got fed up with Jordan because of this.

JessM Wed 31-Aug-16 08:54:48

Thought I would revive this thread. Reading a dystopian Octavia Butler at the moment which has a strong resonance with some of today's issues. I've pre-ordered the latest Peter Grant but it seems to be delayed.
Any suggestions folks? Not keen on pure fantasy with quests and dragons. Did the Anne McCaffery thing a while ago smile