Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Mutton: live webchat with India Knight Tues 24 Sept 12-1pm

(82 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-Sep-13 11:00:34

No doubt the recipients of the free copies of Mutton, our latest book club choice are giggling their way through it as we are.

And now the chance to ask India Knight all about the book, fishnet tights and "American" teeth...

She joins us live on Tues 24 Sept at 12. Add your questions now and join us then.

flopsybunny Thu 12-Sep-13 19:36:12

Hi India! Loved the book. Thank you GN for sending it to me smile

What made you write it?

katesheilaskate Fri 13-Sep-13 09:15:18

Very light reading, but funny - especially some of the historic references eg. you hardly seem old enough to remember Hamble, India! Do you spend all your time scribbling down ideas from what you hear around you? It seems like you must, to keep it coming at such a pace. Thanks for the book Gransnet.

Brahaspatinda Fri 13-Sep-13 13:32:20

Looking forward to reading 'Mutton'; meanwhile re-reading 'Idiot-Proof Diet' for the nth time as an inspiring nudge... It's just as engaging every time, thank you - and Nerys - so much. Did you manage to keep the weight off? Reckon this is still a Q related to how we dress (and behave!)

nonnasusie Sun 15-Sep-13 19:33:58

My copy of "Mutton" was waiting for me when I arrived home from England last night. I wondered what the parcel was as I had forgotten entering the draw in the excitement of going to see my grandchildren and celebrating my 65th birthday with all the family!! I haven't looked at it yet as I am reading something else but look forward to doing so!

Lindylooby Sun 15-Sep-13 21:01:57

Looking forwardcto reading my copy when I am on holiday next week. Thanks GN.

mrsmopp Mon 16-Sep-13 16:26:17

Loved the book, very funny. Many thanks, I was delighted to receive it and it cheered me up at a time I needed it most. Very grateful.

emmasnan Tue 17-Sep-13 19:11:51

Thanks for the book, just started to read it and enjoying it so far. It's good to read something that makes you smile.

coolio Wed 18-Sep-13 10:48:20

I don't understand the "American" teeth reference in the OP... What's the story behind that India?

pamelaJEAN Fri 20-Sep-13 09:31:33

How lovely to have a book that makes me laugh out loud... going through some problems at the moment ...so a blessed release , thank you so much, although get some strange looks from hubby , when I am sat there smiling ... book in hand. Thank you India very enjoyable.... also a big thankyou to Gransnet x

gardener Sat 21-Sep-13 12:32:58

Thanks very much for the book...it came just as I was leaving for the airport...a great holiday read !
I'm looking forward to reading more of India's books.
My question for India is :-
When you were talking to women who have had Botox and other "work" on their face, did you find that they were pleased with the result..or have they any regrets ?

penguinpaperback Sun 22-Sep-13 20:37:44

Hi India and GNHQ, thank you for the book, I really enjoyed it.
I live in a bourgeois-bohemian neighbourhood, so I recognised the huge jewellery with the ethnic spin. :-)
Hi India, I would love to know how you go about your writing. Is there a strict timetable? (I'm thinking of those accounts you read in the Sunday mags, I wake at 5, write until noon, have a small dish of watercress salad and then write until midnight.) Thanks..x

NannyPam Sun 22-Sep-13 20:50:46

Thanks for the book GN - it is a good light read and very enjoyable.

India - did you base the any of the characters in the book on how you feel in your forties?

hummingbird Sun 22-Sep-13 21:26:36

A good, light-hearted and thought- provoking read! Some bits made me laugh out loud - India, you are definitely writing about dome of my acquaintances!

zipwire Mon 23-Sep-13 12:56:20

Have you had botox? And if not would you?

mumtotwins Mon 23-Sep-13 12:58:53

I loved the book. I haven't read any of your others yet but now I definitely will. Are there any more about these characters or do you always write about different people?

limpet Mon 23-Sep-13 13:04:07

Thanks GN for the book. I liked it very much especially the bit set in Scotland (Muck?)
India please tell me you actually did this journey to research it? It made me laugh out loud (I have been in a similar situation so the laughing was part empathy part hilarity)

BAnanas Mon 23-Sep-13 15:05:06

India Knight, sorry haven't read your book, but in one of your recent articles, I think in the Sunday Times, you sang the praises of a product called Colour Wow, root touch up kit. I bought one of these recently from Space NK and can honestly say it's brilliant. Thank you for that! Wouldn't be without it now super easy to apply for those missed bits when I do my roots. Great for taking away it looks like block mascara and fits in a make up bag without any difficulty. Will look out for your book.

Oldgreymare Mon 23-Sep-13 19:56:45

Thanks for the book Gransnet, I took it on holiday and enjoyed it. It afforded several 'laugh out loud moments', perfect holiday reading.
Anyone contemplating botox needs to read your novel, India. I remember someone describing a ball, held at the White House in Nancy Regan's day,
as a masked ball (so many over-lifted faces!).
What would you advise for a cottage -loaf tummy, crinkly thighs and sparse eyebrows? Or should I wear loose clothes and large sunglasses?

redamanthas Tue 24-Sep-13 07:30:04

Thanks GN for my copy. India I really laughed aloud at or with the characters and I wondered did they develop a "life" of their own as you got more familiar with them. Did you have to rein them in at all? At sixty five I must admit to being too scared to go down the filler and teeth route when I see some of the terrifying results but it was so entertaining to read your characters encounters. Thanks for a great holiday read

bookmad Tue 24-Sep-13 10:33:00

Hi India I enjoyed the book too. I especially liked Bernard. Are you into all that fantasy stuff or was this just a mickey take of people who are?

janice37 Tue 24-Sep-13 10:33:56

Sorry this isn't actually about the book but I saw your photo on the home page and was very taken with your hair. How do you get it like that?

Riverwalk Tue 24-Sep-13 10:40:40

Thank you for the book - lots of laugh out loud moments when I was reading it on the tube.

I'm irritated by celebrities and national treasures who swear that they've not had cosmetic surgery, but would consider should it ever be needed (who are they kidding!)

India, what sort of grandma is your own mother?

nannye Tue 24-Sep-13 10:48:39

Are you as cool a mother as the ones in your books?

ElenaT Tue 24-Sep-13 11:06:38

Hello India, I wondered what your writing routine is and where you write-if in public did you end up burssting out laughing at what you were writing? Think I would have. Oh, and what are you reading at the moment smile