Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Silly game- anyone up for it?

(238 Posts)
gracesmum Fri 27-Sep-13 09:57:06

OK it's not rocket science but hope this runs:
You post the opening line of a book, somebody guesses it and they then post another opening of another book, and so on. Yes?

Sir Walter Elliot of Kellynch Hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage.

MiceElf Mon 18-Nov-13 15:16:49

I suppose he is a little obscure but his books were hugely popular in their ay and well worth a read. For one
Droid of his life he lived in a house not far from me and there is a blue plaque on the wall to say so.

Now, I haven't googled but is

'I'm so busy' the woman who said life was too short to stuff a mushroom?

My other teaser should be easy, but if you google you'll get a very smart clothing company!

MiceElf Mon 18-Nov-13 15:18:01

Oh dear iPad finger.

Day and Part

lamb Sun 24-Nov-13 10:27:31

Alice in Wonderland
ANA
"The Signora had no business to do it" said Miss Bartlett "no business at all"

lamb Sun 24-Nov-13 10:35:06

NanRuth is this Fay Maschler or Katherine White

horn?

lamb Sun 24-Nov-13 10:46:20

The Kite Runner?

Zengran Sun 24-Nov-13 11:17:54

lamb A Room with a View

It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York

Ian42 Sun 24-Nov-13 17:45:53

The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath.

The summer day was drawing to a close and dusk had fallen on ...........

lamb Tue 26-Nov-13 18:42:33

well done Zengran but you have stumped me now.

NanKate Sun 26-Jan-14 16:35:52

The boy snapped awake. He seized his sword. Tenno hardly dared to breathe.

This is a children's book.

Ariadne Sun 26-Jan-14 17:14:29

Gosh, didn't realise this had been resurrected! Good. (That is a straightforward comment, BTW!)

rosesarered Mon 03-Mar-14 12:05:31

sorry, people, I was going to join in but find this whole thread too confusing! So many comments and quotes that don't relate to one another. hmm

NanKate Mon 03-Mar-14 16:45:23

For anyone who is interested in exciting historical books for confident readers 9+ both boys and girls, I quoted 3 posts above from 'Young Samurai - the way of the warrior'. The series of 8 are set in Japan in the 17th century and are really cracking fast paced adventure stories. The author is Chris Bradford.

As an adult I loved them too !