Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Hilary Boyd - live book club webchat Tues 17 Dec 1-2pm

(68 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 02-Dec-13 15:14:56

For those who have received copies of When You Walked Back Into My Life (and indeed for those who haven't) and/or those who have enjoyed Hilary's other best sellers such as Thursdays in The Park...now's the chance to ask her about her writing, being dubbed the creator of "grans lit" - and indeed anything else you fancy.

Read more here

Hilary joins us live at GNHQ at 1pm for a mince pie and a chat - so do get your questions in now

HilaryBoyd Tue 17-Dec-13 13:29:42

thatbags

I'm enjoying the book but I have to keep putting it down. This is probably a reflection on me rather than the book. I've got to the bit where Prue is "summoned" to dinner upstairs with "the family". I guess interfering families annoy me. Bel comes across as a bit soppy too when there is talk of her aunt moving to Scotland – as if Inverness were in the Antarctic, or even on another planet. Good grief! There are trains and aeroplanes that go there from London.

Do fifteen year old girls really get upset when their aunts talk about moving to the other end of the country? Or do they think, oh what fun, I can go and visit and have some adventures?

well, Flora is her sanctuary, where she goes to escape her difficult mother. Sorry it's annoying you!

kaybh Tue 17-Dec-13 13:30:58

Thank you Hilary - I will pass on your advice to her. Can I ask another question? Sorry if it's already been asked, but would you have anyone in mind if TITP were to be made in to a film?

Kay

roadshow Tue 17-Dec-13 13:31:45

Dominic tasking advantage of Dorothea made me very sad - I think there are probably many people in her position and I think the vulnerability of very old age can be heartbreaking. Did you base this on any particular experience/real story?

roadshow Tue 17-Dec-13 13:32:24

Oops I meant to also ask whether any of the characters/story lines in your book are based on your own life?

HilaryBoyd Tue 17-Dec-13 13:32:49

LyndaW

Hi Hilary

I tried to google your website to find out a bit more about you but couldn't fine one? Do you have one? And if not, did you decide not to for a reason?

Are you planning on writing more with similar age heroines? Is it difficult being associated with being the (grand?)mother of granslit? Are you finding that restrictive?

Hi Lynda, my website is a sore point at the moment. but it will be sorted in Jan with a bit of luck!! I've had some problems with the person managing it, because he's been so busy. It's there, but it doesn't work properly, so wait till end of Jan please!
I have just finished another book about 60 year olds, out next september. I prefer writing about older people I suppose, in that I'm interested in their situation and can relate to it. but we'll see what happens in the future.

HilaryBoyd Tue 17-Dec-13 13:36:31

threesugars

oh lordy, I'm only about a third in but Flora is doing my head in! Still compelling though - I do love your writing. But honestly, I do hope she comes to her senses. How annoying that we can't all be a bit more objective about our own relationships to stop us having acted like idiots. What I like is that your characters haven't sorted it out a little later in life. Age brings experience and (I like to think) a bit of wisdom but would you say there's always something to learn about relationships?

What's the youngest protagonist you think you'd write about?

Any film deals imminent?

I'm beginning to feel sorry for Flora all over again, she seems to be annoying a lot of you! But when does anyone ever sort out the falling in love thing? In my experience it isn't related to age really. We can be just as dotty at 65 as we are at 16 I think.
I think I'll probably stick to the older heroine.
Charles Dance is currently raising money for Thursdays, but no deals for the other two books.

HilaryBoyd Tue 17-Dec-13 13:38:09

Gagagran

I have read the book and enjoyed it! But I wish you had made the slimy Dominic get more of a comeuppance than just his losing some of what he expected in Dorothea's will! He was a creep and I would have made him suffer a bit more! Were you tempted to do that?

He was a creep wasn't he? I was tempted, but I thought it might be a bit too melodramatic to have him arrested or something. and those sort of things, in my experience, are quite tricky to prove. But yes, he deserved worse. but he thought he was suffering, so perhaps that's enough!

HilaryBoyd Tue 17-Dec-13 13:40:26

Taig

Hi Hilary. I really enjoyed Thursdays, but haven't managed to read your other books yet (they're on my very large reading pile!). My question is, are you now a full time writer, and is it all it's cracked up to be?!

Hi Taig, yes, I am! As from Easter this year I can now afford not to do all the other jobs I used to have to do to make the rent. It's absolutely brilliant! And being a full time writer was always my dream. So glad you enjoyed Thursdays.

HilaryBoyd Tue 17-Dec-13 13:42:17

lucyinthesky

Hi Hilary, do people who you know/have based characters upon, recognise themselves in your books?

Hi Lucy, it's very funny because the ones i haven't even thought of think they are in the book, and the ones I have had in mind for a character don't recognise themselves! My husband is suffering from people thinking he's George in Thursdays! not a good look.

HilaryBoyd Tue 17-Dec-13 13:45:34

TheGingerbreadMan

Hi Hilary, what advice would you give to someone writing their first novel? Do you think self-publishing is the easiest best route to take?

Hi Gingerbread, Tricky one. As I said before, I think self-publishing is the easiest in the short term, but then you have no back up and the publicity machine is not there. So unless you're prepared to do it yourself, which is very difficult, I would advise looking for a publisher. Starting with an agent. The web is full of them. jUst pick the ones who do your sort of fiction and send out your stuff until you get one. then they will do the rest! The other advice is listen to criticism. hard, but essential. And persevere. Took me nearly 20 years!

HilaryBoyd Tue 17-Dec-13 13:47:54

applepie

Hello! I've read Step-parent's Survival Guide and Working Woman's Pregnancy - would you go back to writing non-fiction, or are you into novels now?

Wow, that's great! Novels are so much easier for me. With non fiction you have to get every single fact right, especially if it's a health book. But with fiction you make it up! I enjoyed the non fiction while I was doing it though, but I think I'll stick to novels, in my case they seem to pay better!

HilaryBoyd Tue 17-Dec-13 13:51:29

Maggiemaybe

Hello, Hilary. Thank you (and Gransnet) for the book - it's the first of yours I've read and I did enjoy it.

I'm afraid though that I found Flora exasperating too, though I appreciate there are many women out there just like that. Most of us I'm sure would have given Fin the bum's rush as soon as he strutted back into our lives. I couldn't see the attraction anyway - such a self-centred, arrogant character!

I'm also surprised by the way the family feud was so easily mended at the end of the book. In our family a little matter of a sister sleeping with your boyfriend would have caused a rift between here and Doomsday. Do you come from a more forgiving family background?

Another person exasperated with Flora! Sorry. I think families are strange, you hear of family members who don't speak to each other for fifty years because someone didn't pay the milkman, then others where incredible transgressions are forgiven. but even fiction has to be believable, so obviously I've stretched your credibility here!

HilaryBoyd Tue 17-Dec-13 13:53:28

snookerloopy

I wondered whether you are a grandmother? I guess so to have been tagged with the gran lit (or is it grans lit?) thing. If you are what sort of gran are you?

Oh dear I think I just asked three questions in one!

Hi Snookerloopy, yes, I am indeed a gran, and a doting one at that. I have two granddaughters who I'm obsessed with and visit as often as living 2 hours away permits. love it, and I was surprised at how much I love them. it's a wonderful relationship I think.

HilaryBoyd Tue 17-Dec-13 13:55:00

hpl77

I know you work as a health journalist too. But the gulf between writing very factual health material and writing a novel must be a huge one? Was it hard to make the switch?

Hi, it was very hard while i was doing both at once. switching from my day job of non fiction and getting every little fact right, then doing the novels in my spare time and remembering to let rip.

twinkletwinkle Tue 17-Dec-13 13:57:15

Am I too late????? I wanted to ask about whether it's tricky to write sex scenes. Not the thing our generation were really brought up on so wondered if that made it more difficult for you

HilaryBoyd Tue 17-Dec-13 13:57:57

christmascarol

Hello Hilary. I am very interested to know your thoughts on the representation of "older" (hate that word but it seems to be the one in use but I mean basically 50 plus) people, particularly women, in books, on screen etc

Hi Christmas carol, well, I think it's generally a bit rubbish. But i also think that's changing now, as us babyboomers get older and demand more. if you look at recent films such as Le Weekend, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Quartet... there are quite a few out there, for better or for worse. Just worried the older people all seem a bit dotty and dysfunctional. Cliched. But here's hoping things will continue to change in this arena.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 17-Dec-13 14:03:47

Thank you so much Hilary - been great having you here and we can't wait for book number four!