Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Kate Atkinson

(37 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 23-Jan-14 20:48:37

Just about to start reading Started Early, took The Dog , just love this series, [with Jackson Brodie, private detective]. However, her very first novel, set in York...... Behind The Scenes At The Museum, is a fantastic book, and just so moving.

mollie Thu 23-Jan-14 21:13:22

Enjoy! I really enjoy KA's work ... wish she's write faster thought...lol!

mollie Thu 23-Jan-14 21:13:42

she'd, not she's blush

Gally Thu 23-Jan-14 21:54:06

I too like her books, but I can't get my head around Life after Life. Anyone else have a problem with it? Will try again..... one day!

Atqui Thu 23-Jan-14 22:43:37

Is that her new one?

Gally Fri 24-Jan-14 04:18:55

Fairly new. Have had it on Kindle for a few months

janeainsworth Fri 24-Jan-14 04:24:23

Yes another fan here. We did Started Early, Took My Dog at the book group I go to a few months ago - I thought it was brilliant.
Gally what is Life after Life about & why don't you like it?

Gally Fri 24-Jan-14 06:29:21

Small résumé of the book.. Tried to attach a link, but no success!

"One of the best novels I've read this century. Kate Atkinson is a marvel. There aren't enough breathless adjectives to describe LIFE AFTER LIFE: Dazzling, witty, moving, joyful, mournful, profound."--Gillian Flynn, author of Gone Girl. What if you could live again and again, until you got it right? On a cold and snowy night in 1910, Ursula Todd is born, the third child of a wealthy English banker and his wife. Sadly, she dies before she can draw her first breath. On that same cold and snowy night, Ursula Todd is born, lets out a lusty wail, and embarks upon a life that will be, to say the least, unusual. For as she grows, she also dies, repeatedly, in any number of ways. Ursula's world is in turmoil, facing the unspeakable evil of the two greatest wars in history. What power and force can one woman exert over the fate of civilization -- if only she has the chance? Wildly inventive, darkly comic, startlingly poignant -- this is Kate Atkinson at her absolute best"

Stansgran Fri 24-Jan-14 08:30:16

I found it extremely tiresome and I am a fan of KA . I've been to talks she has given at the Durham Literary Festival. She has said that she tires of characters. I just hope she hasn't tired of Jackson Brodie as I felt there was definitely a story in waiting in the introduction of the last one . Living in hope.

rosesarered Fri 24-Jan-14 09:33:29

Life After Life, sounds as if it should be good, as it's a good idea at least; I will try it anyway, as must admit, although I like some better than others, all her books are inventive and well written.

Atqui Fri 24-Jan-14 09:34:42

I love her books too. I am struggling with Gillian flynns gone girl so may not share her enthusiasm for life after life

BAnanas Fri 24-Jan-14 10:47:53

I think Life After Life has divided opinions among Kate Atkinson fans, but Gally I'm with you, for me it's her best book to date, so unusual and quite philosophical, I loved the "what if element to it". I read it when it first came out, but think I will probably read it again sometime. I also loved Behind the Scenes at a Museum, although I am a fan of her Jackson Brodie books these two will always be my favourites of her novels.

BAnanas Fri 24-Jan-14 10:50:30

Atqui, Gone Girl which I also enjoyed, but again divided opinion, is quite different from Life After Life. I think you should give it a go.

BAnanas Fri 24-Jan-14 10:53:01

Ooops sorry Gally, having read the thread properly I see now you didn't like it and you were quoting Gillian Flynn. Well I'm with Gillian Flynn then.

Gally Fri 24-Jan-14 22:02:06

I just get really confused! confused

Nonny Sat 25-Jan-14 16:44:42

I too enjoy Kate Atkinson's books The exception being "Emotionally Weird," which I couldn't get into.
"Life After Life," was a little confusing but when I reached the end and thought about it perhaps you could choose when events were real. Or was it meant to make you think about times in your life when two paths are possible? I don't know but I really did enjoy it. I can't wait to read her next book!

J52 Sat 25-Jan-14 18:20:01

Nonny, I agree Emotionally Weird was difficult to get into and I also gave up. I really liked Gone Girl, so many twists and challenges to ones predictions! X

rosesarered Sat 01-Mar-14 20:56:42

Got Life After Life for my Kindle [99p!] this week. Just started it, wonderful writing, and I like the what if's etc.

petallus Sat 01-Mar-14 21:17:38

Oh I paid 4.99 for a paper copy from Waitrose. Wish I'd checked Kindle first.

I usually love her books but find myself slightly irritated with Life after Life at the moment. I am hoping to get into it as I progress.

Ana Sat 01-Mar-14 21:30:41

I loved all her earlier books, but I don't think this one's for me.

Atqui Sun 02-Mar-14 11:49:48

99p? that's amazing! Must download now. B TW, I persevered with gone girl! and once I reached the part where the scam became evident, it couldn't put it down.
I have a pile of books by my bed waiting to be read, including the latest Khaled what's his name, and now the list on my kindle will be longer. Perhaps I should spend less time on gransnet!

GillT57 Sun 02-Mar-14 12:15:05

love Jackson Brodie. Stick with Gone Girl, it really is twist after twist, makes you doubt your own intuition.

Maggiemaybe Sun 02-Mar-14 13:04:05

I've just finished Life after Life in bed this morning and absolutely loved it! It's so well written and the twists and turns of the story are dazzling. I cared about the characters too, which for me is the first sign of a good book - the last little chapter came as a great relief! I was a bit worried about starting it as I thought it might be something like The Time Traveller's Wife, which is one of the few books I just couldn't finish, I disliked it so much. But no, for me it's a contender (with Behind the Scenes) for Kate Atkinson's best work, and I'm a great fan. The only one I wasn't too keen on, like J52, was Emotionally Weird. Perhaps I should try it again.

joannapiano Sun 02-Mar-14 13:35:36

I have also just about finished Life after Life and loved it. Nearly didn't buy it as it had fairly mixed reviews on here, but so glad I did.

Iam64 Mon 03-Mar-14 07:46:39

I have enjoyed all the Kate Atkinson books so far, and bought Life After Life this weekend. It seems one of those 'love it or hate it' books. I'm taking it with me on our 7 day break later this week.