Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Kate Atkinson

(38 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 23-Jan-14 20:48:37

Just about to start reading Started Early, took The Dog , just love this series, [with Jackson Brodie, private detective]. However, her very first novel, set in York...... Behind The Scenes At The Museum, is a fantastic book, and just so moving.

rosesarered Mon 03-Mar-14 11:49:13

Yes, agree about Emotionally Weird, however it's ages since I read it, and I think I expected another Behind The Scenes At The Museum [which it wasn't obviously] but I think another read of it would be a good idea with no pre-conceptions about it, so will do that.It's always worth having a trawl through the Kindle best 100 books [deals] there is usually one or two that I like, ranging from 99p to about £2.99]

baubles Sat 15-Mar-14 07:27:06

Just this minute finished Life after Life. It took me a few chapters to get into it but was I was hooked as all the pieces of her different lives fell into place. It was very cleverly written, thoroughly enjoyed it.

petallus Sat 15-Mar-14 11:08:02

I usually love Kate Atkinson books.

However, I struggled with Life after Life until about a third of the way through it when, for me, it suddenly took off and now I love it.

I agree the characters are very 'real' and likeable without being too nice.

rosesarered Tue 18-Mar-14 13:14:48

She does very well rounded and believable people too I think, and you do care about them and their lives. I always think it would be wonderful to have a book published [not that I have ever written one, so it's not likely to happen] but even better, to be a author who writes really well. A lot of the best sellers are often rather rubbishy in terms of their actual writing [think Dan Brown!] A lot have good plots but clunky dialogue, cardboard cut out characters, so one dimensional that you can imagine the author tapping out the words on his computer. If it's a well written book, you should get lost in it.

Treebee Tue 18-Mar-14 16:31:24

I loved Life a After Life. It's such an original concept and such fun for a fiction writer to have a character relive and change what happens to her.
So gratifying when she ignored her future abusive husband .
The Jackson Brodie books are good, and Behind the Scenes at the Museum. I haven't read Emotionally Weird. Maybe I'll give it a miss.
So many books so little time!

KarenPalmer Fri 28-Mar-14 17:44:11

I loved life after life, it took a while to get into and initially I found the whole concept of dying and then beginning again quite confusing and a little irritating. However just before I got totally irritated with it the story picked up pace and the repetitions got less. It's a unique and interesting concept and one which all of us have thought about at some point. If I could go back and live my life again knowing what I know now what would I do differently? That's what happens in the book. The main character gets to learn from her mistakes and try again. It's a bit like Groundhog Day, she keeps going until she gets the right ending. It's very well worth reading it really makes you think.

MrsJamJam Fri 28-Mar-14 19:57:14

Agreed, I loved Life after Life and have been recommending it to everyone. Also good for late night musings (when insomnia strikes) as I can try re writing bits of my life. Better than counting sheep which never keep still!

storynanny Sat 29-Mar-14 12:12:42

I started Life after Life as I have enjoyed all her other books, but gave up. It just didn't get me wanting to read it.

Aka Sun 30-Mar-14 14:49:37

Thought Life after Life was her best book yet. Was somewhat confused at the first 'flip' but soon got into the spirit of it.

GrandmaH Mon 21-Apr-14 18:42:01

Just finished Life After Life for 2nd time as I need to write discussion points for Reading Group.
I loved it first time round but saw so much more 2nd time!
No spoilers here but was she the only one in the family who had this ability?
Why did Hugh refer to a book ( House at Pooh Corner)in 1910 when it wasn't published until 1926? Why did Sylvie say 'practice makes perfect' when she cut the cord from the baby's neck at the end? There are some odd comments all through from other members of the family.
Didn't quite get end unless Mrs Haddock is the pivotal character- she is only one with no time line at all. And all the animal names & references!
I absolutely will read it again at a later date & will maybe see more yet.
Wonderful book & I can't wait to see what the others make of it.

I must confess that KA is my favourite author & I have really enjoyed all her books- I read Behind the Scenes at a Museum if I need a comfort read.
Can't wait for next book!

rosesarered Mon 21-Apr-14 19:50:26

I agree with you completely GrandmaH there was so much to take in that it really needs a second reading.It's so long since I read Behind The Scenes that I must re-read that book too.As others have said, so many books, so little time. My TBR list grows longer every day.

Treebee Mon 21-Apr-14 21:46:43

It's been a while since I read it but I think there were a few clues that her Mum knew she'd been there before, herself.