Gransnet forums

Books/book club

June Book Club - The Gallery of Vanished Husbands

(169 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 04-Jun-14 12:22:36

This month's book pick is The Gallery of Vanished Husbands by Natasha Solomons, the captivating story of the life and loves of a woman who breaks free of her strict Jewish upbringing and joins the world of art and artists in sixties London.

If you received one of our free copies don't forget to leave your comments and questions below for the author. We'll be sending questions off to Natasha at the end of June.

Also - if you have a spare couple of minutes - do take the time to post your review of the book in our Reviews section: www.gransnet.com/reviews/books

TriciaF Mon 23-Jun-14 15:54:56

I've ordered the book but haven't got it yet, so don't know if this is relevant.
Just want to add a very recent case in Israel about "chained wives".
This woman's husband had been in a coma for 7 years after a motor bike accident. She wanted a divorce (get) in order to remarry but this was refused because he hadn't/couldn't give consent. He isn't expected to come out of the coma.
At last some rabbis have found a way round the problem ( on a technicality of the law) and she will get her divorce. This is being opposed by some ultra-orthodox rabbis.
Frannygranny - if you want to know the meaning of hebrew terms I can probably help.

numberplease Mon 23-Jun-14 16:36:15

I enjoyed the book, but didn`t really care much for the character of Juliet, or even Max. I was horrified at her keep going off through the woods to Max`s cottage, leaving her children alone in the middle of the night. As has been said, I think by Rosesarered, why on earth didn`t she leave her area and live elsewhere, where no-one knew of her circumstances?

Frannygranny Mon 23-Jun-14 20:19:41

Thanks TriciaF the choir I sing with has a large Jewish contingent and I'll ask them. Many thanks. smile

keriku Mon 23-Jun-14 20:54:26

I found this book to be intensely moving. Juliet seemed to be left without an identity when her roguish husband disappeared. It was as though the portraits were a way of trying to find herself. When folk are asking why she didn't move away, I think she stayed as she needed the extended care and support of her family to help with her children (either that or cherry brandy!)A beautifully written book, this is the first book I have ever read by Natasha Solomons, I am going to look for more!

dartmoordogsbody Mon 23-Jun-14 21:15:50

Thanks, GN and Sceptre, for an interesting read. The storyline is an unusual one, and such a self-absorbed main character is a challenge to make sympathetic. I wonder whether Natasha Solomons hesitated about this aspect of Juliet, surrounded by her collection of portraits of herself, 'with not one of the usual snaps' of grandchildren or babies, in view of the fact that she had borrowed a real person, indeed her Grandmother-in-law, for the basis of the story? Some of that character had been shared with Mrs Greene, of course, so perhaps Rosie Solomons appears in parts in several characters, like George is there in the totality of portraits in Leonard's sketchbook.

I found the essential Jewishness very intriguing, though a very short Yiddish glossary would have been helpful. I thought I had worked out the meanings of the words, but may have been way off beam.

nannyann5 Tue 24-Jun-14 18:50:26

Just started reading my copy and am really enjoying it. I'm finding it quite refreshing as it's so different from my usual type of book, and I need to get away from the crime genre from time to time. I love winning books because it gives me a chance to read something I probably wouldn't have chosen for myself, and more often than not, I do enjoy them.

carol49cat Tue 24-Jun-14 20:44:18

No question - I really enjoyed this book! Not the sort of book I usually read, being a Steven King, Dean Koontz etc fan, but one I was reluctant to put down and read in only a couple of days. Thank you!

linkappa Tue 24-Jun-14 21:13:03

Thank you so much for my copy of this great book which I have just finished reading, it was very thought provoking.
Like some of the others have said i did find myself feeling sorry for the children who seemed to be torn between the strict upbringing of their grandparents and Juliet. I wanted to shout at Juliet at times as she seemed more interested in art ( maybe as a way of escape) than her children.
I have read books in the past about Jewish communities so found it quite easy to identify with the characters and ways, really fascinating.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 25-Jun-14 10:10:38

Maggiemaybe

Thank you for my copy too. I love the GN Book Club and the way I get to read and enjoy books I wouldn't have chosen for myself. It'd be interesting to learn how the books are chosen each month.

Sorry should have replied to this earlier. We essentially look through all the things coming out around the time and choose the ones we think will most appeal as well as trying to have a range of styles and subject matter to mix it up a bit.

Some more great ones coming up later in the year too. And if you haven't already, do try and nab a copy of The Deaths (next month's book) - not one I would normally have picked up...but I couldn't put it down. Highly recommend

grannyactivist Wed 25-Jun-14 12:06:25

The way the book is structured is very clever, with each chapter listing the contents of an art exhibition like a gallery catalogue. I'd like to ask if Natasha considered including an actual picture at the start of each chapter? I must admit the first thing I did on seeing the references to paintings was to look them up on Google and was quite disappointed not to find them. confused
I enjoyed the book, but found it impossible to relate to Juliet.

purplehairstreak Wed 25-Jun-14 17:02:22

I enjoyed this book a lot - more than I expected to when I started off. It's well written and the story is captivating. Juliet unfolds as a woman who learns to cope on her own and forge her own career in the world in the face of the quite severe restrictions and expectations of her Jewish upbringing and community. She is the outsider who still yearns for the comfort of acceptance but can't quite conform because she's socially "tainted". Perhaps not sure of who she really is, the many portraits she collects of herself provide insight for her into how others see her.

I liked the device of making each chapter an exhibit/painting. Natasha paints graphic word pictures all the way through and I very much appreciated her writing - rich, colourful descriptions which helped me conjure up so many images in my mind as I read. Thank you for that. I also enjoyed the insider description of the traditional Jewish household/way of life, and was very moved by the author's note at the end. An inspiring grandmother who had passed on, but somehow lived in the story in the character of Juliet.

My question for Natasha is did you know anything about art, or have artisitic training or experience yourself before you started to write this book, or did you have to research/learn as you went along?

I'll certainly want to read more by Natasha having enjoyed this one so much. Thanks GN!

Maggiemaybe Wed 25-Jun-14 17:07:27

Thanks, Cari. Actually The Deaths is one I would have definitely chosen for myself, so I'm hoping to be lucky enough to bag a copy! smile

matson Wed 25-Jun-14 17:52:07

A lovely book, beautifully descriptive with a quirky story line, I also liked that it was inspired by a strong and special lady. I have no questions, just thank you for a good story and I look forward to future books.

annodomini Wed 25-Jun-14 18:56:48

I'm now intrigued enough to have put it on my Amazon wish-list. I am stocking up on Kindle for my month away.

gardener Wed 25-Jun-14 19:59:19

I really enjoyed this book. Like others I would have liked a short Yiddish glossary to explain the words in italics.
I was impressed with the descriptions of the paintings, the gallery and the artists.

My questions for Natasha are:-

Have you any connection with someone who runs an art gallery?
Perhaps you are a painter yourself ?
Have you ever sat to have your portrait painted ?
Do you think you would like to have your portrait on the wall of your house?

I'm sure that it must have meant a lot to your husband and family to read a novel based on the life of Grandmother Rosie. A lovely idea.

glammanana Thu 26-Jun-14 10:04:23

I'm agreeing with gardener about the descriptions of the art studio from the story you can smell the paint and turps etc,and can conjur up a picture of a "loft-type" studio full of eisels and paintings.This is not the type of book I would usually read but I can not put it down now and still have a couple of chapters to read I am finding it very heartfetching and a totally different way of lifestyle that I expected from when I first started reading it.
My questions would be to Natasha :
Are you at all thinking of expanding this family story into other books.
Many thanks for the opportunity of allowing me to read this book.

Oldgreymare Fri 27-Jun-14 10:17:04

Am I allowed to say that I did not enjoy the book.
I paticularly found the reference to David Hockney a little contrived, I do wonder what he would say were he to find out!
There were too many happy (and not so happy) coincidences: Tickets to America; Max, a known recluse, offering classes at his cottage; saving money to buy out/repay investors: the retiurn of the stolen portrait: to list a few.
I did enjoy, however, a glimpse into the family life of Juliet but wonder how typical that was, even in the 60s.
I note that the response to the novel has been positive. Let that put my negativity in context so please don't stop sending me 'the book of the month' from time to time.

Rosannie Fri 27-Jun-14 11:00:06

I enjoyed this book, I loved the threads that were woven together to make a tapestry of life in the 60's/70's when I was young and starting a family. I agree that some of the references were a little contrived but well researched and accurately placed (I don't think Hockney would mind!)

The book revived lots of memories of that time for me - clothes, hairstyles (the awful curly perm), debates about contraception and the changing role of women, rebellion against religion and doctrines, and particularly for me the music and Art.

Co-incidently I had a very strong Grandma called Rosie who safely delivered me into this world at her house! I was also an art student in the 60's but unlike Juliet I put my children before painting.

I would like to ask Natasha how she captured such a strong essence of the 60/70's period, did she draw on personal experiences of friends and families?
Also who is her favourite artist and what is her favourite piece of art?
Thanks for the opportunity to read this thought provoking book.

Buddie Fri 27-Jun-14 12:30:08

I feel sure you must have a close connection with art to have written this story. The studio scenes are so vivid, you cannot jusy visualise them but smell them too. Am I right in this?

I found Juliet quite hard to relate to. She has her
conflict with her strict Jewish upbringing to cope with and her husband's disappearance must make it hard for people to know how to help her but she seems not too concerned about her own son when he takes off which is strange. One would imagine a mother clinging more closely to her son in the circumstances.

Maybe in a sense all our lives are full of "portraits" as in a gallery. We all fill many roles in life after all. Perhaps this was also in the mind of the author when she chose this structure.

An intriguing read and thank you to Gransnet for my copy.

Spidergran Sat 28-Jun-14 19:28:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spidergran Sat 28-Jun-14 19:33:31

Spidergran Sat 28-Jun-14 19:33:32

Spidergran Sat 28-Jun-14 19:33:32