Gransnet forums

Books/book club

July book club - The Deaths by Mark Lawson

(158 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 01-Jul-14 13:18:06

For the 200 winners...your books will be arriving very shortly (they're from us in case you were wondering how they ended up on your door mat!)

So please read, enjoy (hopefully), and add your comments and any questions for Mark Lawson. We will be sending them over to him at the end of the month (July)

Soutra Tue 08-Jul-14 17:37:26

Arrived this morning and I CAN'T PUT IT DOWN!! Thank you! DH and Grace less chiffed as I am doing nothing else!!

Soutra Tue 08-Jul-14 17:38:35

Less chuffed even blush

Maniac Tue 08-Jul-14 20:17:30

What a lovely surprise.I'm usually too late and don't remember ordering this one.It's been a good day .A surprise visit from my ex-neighbour and children and phone calls from both my daughters.Is it my birthday and I'd forgotten?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 08-Jul-14 20:32:18

Aw that sounds lovely. Enjoy the book (I really did) and don't forget to add a question!

Marelli Tue 08-Jul-14 21:15:47

Thank you very much - my copy arrived today! I'm looking forward to reading it. smile

Isabelsnana Wed 09-Jul-14 16:27:06

Thank you! Just returned from a tiring exercise class to find I'd received my copy of "The Deaths". Looking forward to put my feet up to start reading it later.

Grannybug Wed 09-Jul-14 19:58:32

Thanks for my copy of Mark Lawson's 'the Deaths'. Started it straight away and already quite intrigued .

Lotie Thu 10-Jul-14 15:43:32

Unexpected arrival for me. Really looking forward to reading it when I finish my Robert Galbraith novel for my book club.

mbody Thu 10-Jul-14 17:04:41

Thank you for my copy of the book which I am reading now. The story is quite intriguing but I hate having to read the c word and why do most of the sex references sound as if they have been written by a fourteen year old boy? Pity really as it could be an excellent book.

MaggieP Thu 10-Jul-14 18:45:21

Many thanks for my copy which I found amongst the mail today on return from a sunny week in Dorset.
I look forward to reading it soon.

JillMay Fri 11-Jul-14 10:30:25

Thank you for my copy. I am saving it to take on holiday next week. i am looking forward to reading it.

grannyactivist Fri 11-Jul-14 12:14:08

Thanks for this book GNHQ. I saved it until last night when I could have a marathon read - and was so hooked that I woke early to finish it off today. The 'deaths' of the title are introduced fairly early on, but who is killed is not initially clear and there are one or two red herrings along the way so that first guesses are based on misleading information. The characters, with the exception of the doctor and her husband, are not ones that I particularly liked or related to, but I did get caught up in their lives and cared about what happened to them. The ending was the only jarring note in an otherwise cracking good read. I just didn't believe that that particular character would do what was implied, at that particular time (just after the inquest), for the reason given.
Don't want to spoil the plot, but if you've read the book I hope you'll know what I mean.

Soutra Fri 11-Jul-14 14:14:09

Thoroughly good read! DH has now snaffled borrowed it and is engrossed!

chloe1984 Sun 13-Jul-14 15:03:32

Have just finished 'the Deaths' it was a struggle for me to get to the end. I could not summon up any interest in the characters at all ,it wasn't until I got two thirds through it that I could remember who was married to who and who did what for a living. On a personal note the addition of the four letter words was over the top and just seemed to be put there for shock effect. I also was surprised at the constant references to condom use thought people that had been married that length of time would have long found a better solution. I would have preferred the story to be a little more in depth and then perhaps I would have remembered or cared who the characters were and what they all did etc. I do read a wide range of novels but this one was certainly not to my taste.

Galen Sun 13-Jul-14 15:11:46

Just started it. Not gripped so far.

matson Mon 14-Jul-14 19:15:24

Sorry Mr Lawson, but "The Deaths " is a waffle of a book, sadly boring, and lacking any holding factors, if that is an indication of the rich life, they are welcome to it.

keriku Mon 14-Jul-14 23:24:07

I am not complaining about getting a book, quite the opposite, I am thrilled to get one! My concern is merely that if their is no mention of gransnet in the parcel, then folk may not take the time to submit a review. I am currently more than half way through this amazing book and find myself changing my mind page by page who the victims are! Brilliant novel!

GrandmaH Tue 15-Jul-14 09:03:04

I enjoyed this book & read it very quickly so I could respond before I go away.
I did have a problem getting who was married to who at the start & did not much care for any of them .It is a novel of modern times & I accept that - what I consider -unacceptable language is a sad part of modern culture - but I did find it excessive. I was also surprised about all the condom references- have these people never heard of the pill or vasectomy?
Do QCs really have schoolboy smutty humour with regards to sex? Maybe they do- I don't know any so cannot judge.(sorry about pun).
I liked the fact that you did not know who was murdered until towards the end & I liked the hints it might be other people- it had me fooled.

My main problem & a question I would like to put to Mark Lawson is (trying not to make this a spoiler) why did the one who killed the others choose to kill the extra one?? I understand the 'keeping safe' idea but he was Ok with someone else to look after him- maybe with less money but they would have got by. That was just cruel.
Sorry to be vague but I know people will read through this before they finish book & I didn't want to spoil the ending.

I have to say if that is the level of conversation & company on First Class rail travel I am glad I travel off peak & cattle class!
Very glad I read it- a possible future Reading Group choice.

sunseeker Tue 15-Jul-14 14:47:47

I am having problems maintaining interest in this book. At one point the police are at the scene of the deaths and then suddenly the book takes you on the weekend away with the main characters (who I am completely confused as to who does what and who is married to who), only to be returned to the scene of the crime where it left off, so not in any chronological order. I will keep at it in the hope that all becomes clear but as yet can't say I connect with any of the characters or really care about what happens to them.

wallers5 Wed 16-Jul-14 06:29:38

A lovely pristine copy of The Deaths arrived and I attacked it immediately. It is hard to put down but after a day with the two grand children I get exhausted. However I read avidly every night & I can't wait to find the answer. Another clever author.

cazthebookworm Wed 16-Jul-14 19:21:53

Just back from a short break in Scotland and my copy of The Deaths was delivered this morning. Thank you, I look forward to reading it but am not encouraged by some of the comments, especially the ones concerning the offensive language and the sexual connotations, not very appealing. I will be open minded though and give it a go.

Aka Thu 17-Jul-14 15:44:30

I have just finished it as an e-book. It was like the curate's egg, good in parts. Almost as if written by two different people.

winifred01 Thu 17-Jul-14 20:33:38

Thank you so much for the book. Have not read Mark Lawson but have heard him on the radio and seen him on TV.
I am about half way through the book and am enjoying it!
I live in Bucks so love the references to places I know.
So much to laugh about- Handbags the size of plumbers toolbags.
Will certainly read his previous books- thanks Gransnet for introducing me to a new author.

Deedaa Thu 17-Jul-14 22:33:14

Although I've seen Mark Lawson on television I didn't realise that he's a writer. I've thoroughly enjoyed the book. Obviously they were all people you would never let into your house, but it was fun finding out what happened to them.

I would like to ask Mark Lawson if the characters were based on people he knows and does he think he is like any of them.

Helen2014 Fri 18-Jul-14 10:28:22

Firstly thanks for the book. I echo the comments made by other book club members who were quizzical about the source of the book! It would be nice to be reminded that it is from Gransnet! But I was delighted to receive it and I'm working my way through it.

My first main question and comment to Mark Lawson is 'where do you find the time'? This is not a facetious question because it is a weighty tome and given the fact that he is a busy person, I just wonder what his writing regime is. Secondly, I thought the insight into the men's schoolboy language and humour was hilarious in parts and vaguely depressing in others. Having been a commuter on (I suspect) that very train, I'm familiar with the banter and all I can say is thank heavens for my ipod. The more salacious parts of the book I could do without. I'm not a prude but frankly there are better examples of aga-saga sexual shenanigans on the shelves if that was what I was after.

I liked the fact that the deaths were right at the start and I haven't finished the book yet so I'm still at the stage of wondering if my guess of who-dun-it is correct. What I did find interesting was the combination of tedium and one-up-manship in these people's lives. What is the expression - lives of quiet desperation. If that is what you were after Mark, then you have achieved it. I'll never feel the same about those expensive coffee pod things again!