Gransnet forums

Books/book club

August Book Club - Spare Brides by Adele Parks

(129 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 01-Aug-14 09:17:57

The 200 winners should have their copies of Spare Brides by now, so if you got one (or indeed if you didn't and bought one anyway) do add your questions and comments for author Adele Parks.

There's still time for you to buy a copy and join in this month's Book Club. We will be sending the questions over to Adele at the end of August.

mbody Tue 19-Aug-14 20:14:38

The book started well giving a flavour of post WW1 England. I could not, however, find much sympathy for the main characters - Ava was rather unbelievable, Sara too good to be true and Lydia needed a good smack at times. I did feel some sympathy for Beatrice at. It rather ran out of steam for me.

merlotgran Wed 20-Aug-14 11:06:19

I was disappointed in Spare Brides. It seemed to take ages to get going and was fairly dull when it did. There was some much needed action at the end of the book but it seemed to have been thrown together in a hurry to finish the story.

There were also some irritating anachronisms (a bit like watching Downton Abbey) I'm sure they didn't have London postcodes in the 1920s and Inheritance Tax??

My question to Adele is:- How did you research the character of Sgt. Major Edgar Trent? Surely the social divide between officers and non commissioned officers which is still present today would have meant the Duchess of Feversham would have been highly unlikely to choose him as a 'cover' for her real affair or would have lied about his background. There might have been a shortage of available men but I think the only way he would have been welcomed in Peter Podson Callow's country estate would have been as a servant.

Why did you not make Edgar Trent a commissioned officer? He could still have risen through the ranks from a humble background and his entry into society would have been more believable.

Mythbirtthedragon Thu 21-Aug-14 09:22:01

I haven't read any Adele Parks' books before (nor any mills and boon) but having read Spare Brides, I won't be seeking to read any more. I kept going in the hope the book would swing into action, thought there was an over focus on Lydia and possible leads involving the others such as Bea weren't followed up. The ending was very contrived and rushed, almost as if the author suddenly realised how many pages had already been written and she had to finish soon.

gillogg Fri 22-Aug-14 13:07:43

I have just finished Spare Brides and,although I quite enjoyed it,I felt that the ending was a bit rushed. Sarah and Lawrence were dealt with in a few lines and Ava's venture into business in a few paragraphs. Sneaking off to Australia was a quick way to deal with Lydia and Edgar.
I certainly agree with a previous comment that the Bea character was just like Miranda Hart in Call the Midwives.

nanahil Sat 23-Aug-14 06:42:31

I received my book, thanks.
It was easy to read but lacked any real depth.

myk Sat 23-Aug-14 14:14:46

I'm surprised that such novels still get published. This is a formulaic romance ala Mills and Boon/Barbara Cartland. The principal characters are always so beautiful/handsome, feisty and independent/brave, prepared to do all for what they perceive as love. This is a reworking of Lawrence's 'Lady Chatterley's Lover', with physical disability being replaced by the mental but without the interesting running commentary during the intimate scenes.

Many of the other characters also seem to be stereotypical – the free loving feminist finally getting a chance to show her worth, the frumpy 'loser' finding her niche, the 'nice girl' finding her true love, the aristocrat finally with the chance of an heir.

Being published at the same time as there's such a hullabaloo over the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War (what a comment on our society in that we commemorate the START of such slaughter) this novel appears to be somewhat opportunistic.

That's a shame as Adele Parks writes very well, all she needs is a better and more original plot line.

durhamjen Sat 23-Aug-14 18:29:36

I could not get into it. Every time I try, I think there are other more interesting books I could be reading.

My mother's cousin was a spare bride, but nothing like this lot. Her fiance was a vicar. He went off to war and never came back. She spent the rest of her life living with her mother and looking after her, while her younger, flightier sister who was born at the end of the first world war had all the adventures.

I expected it to be very different from the bits I have read. Haven't been able to read enough to form an opinion about characters.

Soutra Sat 23-Aug-14 19:21:08

I have read and enjoyed all the books Adele Park refers to in the bibliography at the end of the book especially Singled Out, but frankly wondered if the author had as she fails to weave much of what they tell us of post WWI life into her plot. Anachronisms abound not only in details but in attitudes which are very 21st century. The sex was really sub-Mills and Boon and the ending contrived and rushed. Novels such as Wake or The Lie give a much more satisfying peek unto those post war years sad

smeeth99 Sun 24-Aug-14 15:24:21

Really enjoyed it, a fantastic read Adele.
I love the historical setting with very modern themes, the characters are wonderfully developed and your tone is lovely to read!

matson Sun 24-Aug-14 16:12:47

"Spare Brides " was an unexpected enjoyable book, not my usual reading matter. Being such a young author I wondered were Adele drew her story from ?and the happy ending was a pleasure, also being a northern lass, I enjoyed the local references.

Cailin7 Sun 24-Aug-14 23:09:50

Thank you for my copy of Spare Brides. Impeccably researched, wonderful character development and fabulous writing!

emmasnan Mon 25-Aug-14 16:28:11

Have not finished the book but enjoying it so far.

I'd like to know what made Adele choose to write this book, it is so different to other books she has written and was it more difficult to write because of that?

Rosannie Mon 25-Aug-14 19:46:17

I enjoyed reading Spare Brides, yet again a book I would not have chosen but it hooked me in and I began to care for the characters and their stories (thank you Gransnet for the opportunity!)

I was also interested to have a draft copy of a book, I've never seen a novel at this stage of publication. What is the next stage? Is there any feedback to the author or are any changes made before the final copy of the book is released?

I would like to ask Adele how long the whole process of producing this novel took and how many hours per day she devotes to writing or research.

Hameringham Tue 26-Aug-14 11:03:33

I am having a job to put this book down. It is written to create the racy pace of the era and this is achieved. The range of characters and varied personalities draws you into the plot in an intriguing and subtle way. Enjoy enjoy.

tigger Wed 27-Aug-14 15:21:12

Loved it. At the beginning it was reminscent of Elizabeth Jane Howard's style of writing which also covered the post World War 1 period. A different type of romance where the reader is kept guessing right until the last page. Enjoyed it very much and felt the author captured the thoughts and feelings of this post war era, the death; horrific wounds and highlighted with great skill the social contrasts between the haves and have nots.

hildajenniJ Wed 27-Aug-14 15:27:56

Although I quite enjoyed "Spare Brides" it isn't really my sort of book. I will however try to broaden my reading material. I seem to have got stuck in a rut with two or three preferred authors.

rocketstop Thu 28-Aug-14 08:01:56

Thank you for the book. I am surprised to read that a lot of people here weren't too thrilled with it. I really enjoyed it, I liked the characters.
Adele, this is a completely different theme for you and I think you managed it really well.I suspect it took you out of your 'Comfort Zone' Did you enjoy writing it? Were you afraid that your usual readers might not like it, or do you have to banish such thoughts when you are embarking on an entirely different theme ?..Good Girl..I loved it !

Elsie10 Thu 28-Aug-14 21:35:32

Just finished reading this lovely book. Didn't think I was going to like it as I don't usually read period stuff - but got hooked. An enjoyable read and interesting characters.

winifred01 Thu 28-Aug-14 21:57:23

Thank you for this book . I have not read any of Adele Parks before, found it difficult to get into but really enjoyed it.
Had not realised the implications of the huge loss of life of WW1had on the lives of womenin the 20s. Thank you for making me think!

railman Fri 29-Aug-14 15:42:26

Not having commented on Gransnet for a while, please forgive my ignorance, but does Book Club only cover novels/fiction?

Miriam Fri 29-Aug-14 16:15:57

Just started reading Spare Brides and loving it. I will pass it on to a friend when finished as I know she will love it too. Many thanks for sending me a copy.

oznan Sun 31-Aug-14 20:46:54

I enjoyed this book a great deal-the four main characters were introduced seamlessly and each with a clear,engaging personality.
Yes,there were a few little anomalies but the book was evocative of the era.I think it is a great commentary on the times and especially the changing role of women within it.The class barriers were just beginning to blur at this time;along with the loss of so many young men,it meant women had to find new roles and had more freedom to do so.I especially liked the fact that Ava's father took her into his business.He would not even have thought of it until Lydia pointed out to him that Ava would be a major asset!
Very readable,this was my first Adele Parks book.I shall be looking out for her earlier books to read.
I would like to ask Adele if there will be a sequel to this novel,as I would love to follow the women's stories.

Grannybug Mon 01-Sep-14 10:44:42

Spare Brides cast a wide net trying to develop themes around the devasting effects of war, social class and social moment, womens changing roles in society and of course love and lust. The effect was a fairly predictable and at times a little unbelievable story line. This book did not leave me considering the issues it tried to raise which is my expectation of a good read .

nickis Mon 01-Sep-14 12:22:13

Thank you for the book which I enjoyed. I would like to ask Adele about the phenomenon of "chick lit" and how she felt to be labelled into the genre. I have noticed it is more often decsribed as "women's fiction" these days. Does she prefer this title and is the change because all the original "chicks" are growing older?

flowerfairy Mon 01-Sep-14 12:30:32

I really enjoy your books. What tips would you offer to an aspiring writer?