Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Kindle or physical book?

(104 Posts)
Tizliz Mon 13-Oct-14 15:27:10

Which do you prefer? I was absolutely convinced I would never read an ebook until I got an ipad. I love books and have over 1,000 but I do find that reading a book in bed can be difficult now I have arthritis and the weight is difficult to hold for long, so I read ebooks in bed. Also it is great if you want to fly with hand luggage only - the five days I just spent away would have meant three books in my bag but I took my ipad instead.

My son had the best idea - when you buy a CD from Amazon they give you a download of it for free - so when you buy a book why not give the ebook for free?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Oct-14 15:33:58

I'm starting to prefer paper again tbh. If you want to go over a bit of the story again, it's so much easier with a proper book than on a kindle. And I think I squint a bit on my kindle as the page seems more bunched up.

Liz46 Mon 13-Oct-14 15:40:39

I tried a kindle and didn't like it but my husband prefers the kindle to a book.

sunseeker Mon 13-Oct-14 15:42:13

I like both - "proper" books at home and kindle for when travelling

Teetime Mon 13-Oct-14 15:57:01

I have given up on my Kobo except for foreign holidays for lightweight travel. I prefer a book so I can backtrack over what I have just read and I like going to the library too.

pompa Mon 13-Oct-14 16:00:17

Definitely physical book, I'm too mean to pay full price for kindle books when I can get used ones from my local charity shop or library.

Anya Mon 13-Oct-14 16:02:39

For novels I prefer my Kindle, but for cookery, gardening, children's books, etc. anything that needs good illustrations or the ability to refer back then a paper book any day.

Therefore both.

tanith Mon 13-Oct-14 16:09:51

Both for me although mostly Kindle, I've found loads of free kindle books so I buy what I want to read and pick the best of the free ones..

Love my Kindle for travelling and for reading in bed I too find it too difficult to hold a book unless I am sitting upright...

shysal Mon 13-Oct-14 16:36:20

Most of my reading is done in the bath, so definitely not my Kindle! I have only once dropped a library book in the water blush, but the fine was cheap in comparison to a new Kindle. I sometimes download library ebooks onto my tablet for reading in the garden, but I like to flick back sometimes, which is easier with the paper version.

Charleygirl Mon 13-Oct-14 16:41:41

I love both but my Kindle has died. I am going to read my pile of paperbacks before I buy another.

janerowena Mon 13-Oct-14 16:44:45

Pompa, you can get free books for your Kindle, they have loads of them, you just have to search for them. I subscribe to their daily 'deal of the day' and there is always a monthly 99p section and a £1.99 as well as loads of reductions to £2.99. I never pay full price.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?docId=1000577623

I like both. However, I have just discovered Amazon's cloud reader. Sign in on whatever device you are on - laptop, computer, phone or tablet and as long as you have internet (although you can download for when you are offline) you can carry on reading away from your Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/ap/signin?openid.assoc_handle=amzn_kweb&openid.return_to=https%3A%2F%2Fread.amazon.com%2F&openid.mode=checkid_setup&openid.ns=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fauth%2F2.0&openid.identity=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fauth%2F2.0%2Fidentifier_select&openid.claimed_id=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fauth%2F2.0%2Fidentifier_select&pageId=amzn_kcr

Atqui Mon 13-Oct-14 17:10:50

I like both, but can't 'cheat' on my kindle cos I'm afraid I'll lose my place!!

henetha Mon 13-Oct-14 17:32:40

There is room in life for both. They both have their place.

jamsidedown Mon 13-Oct-14 18:33:08

Hampshire libraries allow you to download e-books for free. You can't always get the next best seller, but they have a good selection. You can also download audiobooks as well, they save me a fortune! I do also read physical books and I agree that cookbooks, books on gardening and any other reference books are better in a hard copy. Having said that, Amazon do have free Kindle books, you just need to make your selection by lowest price first.

tanith Mon 13-Oct-14 18:47:30

WOW!! Thanks for the tip about free library e-books jamsidedown just checked and my council does the same thing... hundreds of free books ... going for a browse now..

tanith Mon 13-Oct-14 18:48:23

meant to add that Amazon has a list of its top free 100 books you just have to search the page.

HollyDaze Mon 13-Oct-14 19:09:54

A 'real book' every time. I love going into a bookstore (lovely smell of books in there) and browsing through the sections, I like physically having to turn the page and, I just like paper books.

I don't how others feel but for me, the only downside is when reading a book you are thoroughly immersed in, after half-way, the right hand side of the book starts to get thinner and thinner - then you have the dilemma of 'shall I slow down' or 'shall I just read at normal speed but the book will be over quicker' ...

I've never tried an e-book, for some reason, it just doesn't interest me at all.

MrsJamJam Mon 13-Oct-14 19:17:18

Real books most of the time but my kindle is brilliant for travelling. I also have the kindle app on my phone and when waiting with my mother at the hospital I put it on and it went straight to the page I had been reading on the real kindle. Spooky! But at least I never feel I might be trapped somewhere with nothing to read which is one of my nightmares.

whitewave Mon 13-Oct-14 19:45:37

I like my kindle but I really love a real book - I love the smell and feel if that doesn't sound too weird, as well as the ability to skip backwards and forwards easily and also re-read passages in order to understand what I am reading especially if it is a bit academic

Marmight Tue 14-Oct-14 09:49:42

I have hundreds of books. I love the smell and feel of them and swore I would never be persuaded to change to a Kindle. The late Mr.M was given one for his last birthday and after he died I grudgingly had a look at it and read a couple of books on it. Since then, it travels everywhere with me. Instead of carting tons of books on my Oz travels, I just slip the Kindle into the handbag and Bob's your Uncle. I can also catch up, where I left off on the iPad. I still read 'real' books and love seeing them all lined up on the floor to ceiling shelves in the study, but if I lost the Kindle I would be bereft. It also has the added benefit of stopping you from peeking at the end (which I am guilty of) which is far easier with a real book shock

Mamie Tue 14-Oct-14 10:28:46

We have a library full of books, but it is mostly Kindle for me these days. It is a huge advantage when you are living abroad that you can still get a new book when you fancy one. I prefer a physical book for non-fiction, but I buy biography on Kindle these days. I have the Kindle app on my ipad too.
You can cheat and read the end btw, you just press the little curly arrow thing to go back to where you were.

Lilygran Tue 14-Oct-14 10:38:12

Both. I really prefer books but the Kindle has so many advantages, not least portability. And since the arthritis in my wrists got worse, reading even a normal-sized hardback is too difficult after a while. We're trying to clear out a lot ready for an eventual downsize and at first, Kindle seemed to be the answer. But the books have begun to pile up again......anyone have any idea what the capacity of the Kindle is?

Brendawymms Tue 14-Oct-14 11:28:22

I read books in my iPad mini, much lighter than an iPad. I have the kindle app on it with over 300 books and a Bluefire app with over 400 books from other publishers as well as about 100 books in the Barnes and Noble app.
I also have audible for audio books.
Occasionally I read books with paper but then get annoyed that poking at a word I don't know does not result in a dictionary appearing! grin

Brendawymms Tue 14-Oct-14 11:31:21

Forgot to say that I also have the Overdrive app so I can get library books. These you can have for up to 21 days.

yogagran Tue 14-Oct-14 12:13:49

Love my Kindle, so useful how it links to a phone or tablet so you have the choice of carrying on reading where you left off, wherever you are.

West Sussex libraries also have free e-books available now