Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Kindle or physical book?

(105 Posts)
Tizliz Mon 13-Oct-14 15:27:10

Which do you prefer? I was absolutely convinced I would never read an ebook until I got an ipad. I love books and have over 1,000 but I do find that reading a book in bed can be difficult now I have arthritis and the weight is difficult to hold for long, so I read ebooks in bed. Also it is great if you want to fly with hand luggage only - the five days I just spent away would have meant three books in my bag but I took my ipad instead.

My son had the best idea - when you buy a CD from Amazon they give you a download of it for free - so when you buy a book why not give the ebook for free?

GrandmaMoira Thu 03-Nov-16 12:15:41

I only use my Kindle when I'm out, as it is obviously easier to carry than a book. I always read books indoors. I don't like not being able to flip backwards and forwards on a kindle. I can't work out why people say a kindle is better for bedtime reading. I admit I probably haven't worked out some of the settings which might help. I no longer use dictionaries or reference books as google is so much easier. I've found that if I want a particular book, secondhand books on E-bay are usually cheaper than kindle.
I think it's useful to have both but if I could only have one, I would keep physical books.

MargaretX Thu 03-Nov-16 17:02:23

I don't know if anybody else is learning a language but I am refreshing my school French. I am reading Sherlock Holmes translated into French on Kindle, backed up with a French to English dictionary, everytime I don't know a word -which is often- I mark it with my finger and up shoots the meaning in English. Fabulous. I love Kindle!
I read real paperbooks in bed but if I'm disturbing DH I take the Kindle which means you don't have to put the light on.
DD2 an avid reader said she read in the garden this summer in the evenings . She didn't need a light on, so got no midges biting and sat in her relaxer chair reading until late.

Lewlew Thu 03-Nov-16 17:19:00

I have the original Kindle HD Fire and for less than £130 at the time, it doubles as a tablet and much cheaper! The original Kindle HD's let you download your own browser so I didn't have to use Silk, but Silk has improved, so am not worried if I need to upgrade. I'll know when the battery holds the charge for less time/use.

Am studying for a course, so I can highlight in books I need to read to create notes, or search out information. Much more efficient than a traditional book.

Illustrations, charts, etc even though in colour, don't always do well, so I find myself having to get the book now and then. I can also transfer pdfs to it from my desktop as that is the format of most academic papers.

Living in a flat, I'd be over-run with books, so Kindle has saved me a lot of space. I do still like to read a real book now and then, and all past editions are not always re-published as e-books.

Lewlew Thu 03-Nov-16 17:27:35

GrandmaMoira you should be able to swipe (vs tapping a page) backwards as well as forwards? Also, it helps to bookmark pages. I do that when I know I want to go back to something.

Below is a page with links to the various models and their user guides. (Choose the guides vs the quick starts)

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200317150