Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Great reads for Christmas. Win over £500 worth of amazing books!

(838 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 12-Nov-14 15:22:35

Over the festive season we love nothing more than curling up with a good book and a box of mince pie or two. And this year there are some VERY good books indeed. So we asked all the publishers we work with to nominate one of their favourite reads to enjoy this Christmas. And here they all are in one handy list.

Better still - one lucky gransnetter can win the ENTIRE lot. Yup - that's every book featured on the page. Worth more than £500. In our book (no pun intended) that's a pretty fine haul at any time of year - and absolutely perfect for Christmas.

We just want to know where you like reading. Your answers will be put into the very large hat and a draw (made at random) will take place at midday on Weds 10 December - so the winner will receive their prize in plenty of time for the big day. All the details on the page

rubysong Wed 12-Nov-14 18:34:38

In a deckchair on the beach with a floppy hat and sunglasses, preferably a lovely beach in Cornwall so I can go home again at the end of the day. Even better if DH has just brought me a raspberry ripple ice cream.

joannapiano Wed 12-Nov-14 18:50:06

I read in bed at night as I find it relaxes me. It's really nice to go to bed around 9.30pm during the Winter months, be warm and quiet, and lose myself in a book. I usually read for about an hour.
DH can watch his choice of TV, so he doesn't usually mind!

ftsouthwark Wed 12-Nov-14 18:58:53

What an amazing selection of books ... It all depends on the season as to where I love to read my book ... If it is summer there is no where better than in my garden swinging gently on my garden swing-seat with a lovely tall glass of lemonade with the ice cubes rattling....If it is winter ... there's only one place for me ... snuggled up in my soft duvet with lots of squishy pillows and a very large mug of hot chocolate by my side ....

Treebee Wed 12-Nov-14 19:50:36

That is a fantastic prize, what a wonderful collection of books!
Where do I like reading?
At the dining table at breakfast, usually a magazine like Psychologies.
After lunch at home on the couch, or at work in the staff room . That's where I continue with my current novel. It helps me relax.
Then in the evening, back on the couch, while DH watches telly.
Lastly in bed, cosily, getting ready for sleep.
But if it's one of those unputdownable books, anywhere and everywhere!

annsixty Wed 12-Nov-14 20:31:22

Does no-one else read in the bath? It is the only place now that I get sometime to myself.DH wants my attention most of the day now as he suffers from anxiety but when I say I am going for a bath he accepts that and I have a lovely soak with bubbles and my current book and really relax.

MiceElf Wed 12-Nov-14 20:48:03

Anywhere!

On the sofa or in bed
Noting well all that is said
In conversations sharp or clever
As well as those that never, ever
Seem to end.

On a bus or on a train
Even in the pouring rain.
On a hot and sunny beach
Hoping that I soon will reach
The end.

In the garden when it's hot
In the kitchen when it's not.
Reading tales to grandsons three
As they cluster round my knee.
Shouting loud in joyful glee
'Don't let it end'.

Doesn't matter where I am
Even if I'm stirring jam
I need my books to keep me sane
And to occupy my brain

Right up unto

THE END

thatbags Wed 12-Nov-14 21:16:20

My favourite place has always been in a tree. It started when I was nine or ten. There was a high tree in our garden with a lovely place to sit and lean and read. My three younger siblings couldn't get up there and my eldest brother went and climbed a different tree if he saw me up there with a book. Now I have a 'sitdownery' under a hyooooge rhododendron bush that I have pruned—my RhodoDen. On rainy, cold days, by the fire in a chair that belonged to my grandma.

Galen Wed 12-Nov-14 21:31:18

Can't have a bath, and I feel a shower might not be good for my kindle?

aggie Wed 12-Nov-14 21:59:00

I used to love reading in the bath till the day I nearly couldn't get out ! so now it is reading in bed with a hottie at my feet , propped up with all the spare pillows and a bedjacket to keep my arms warm smile Only thing is I forget the time and read into the night , I love getting lost in a book

durhamjen Wed 12-Nov-14 22:16:48

That sounds very Dr Seuss, MiceElf.
I used to read in the bath but I no longer have a bath.
I like reading in bed in the morning, with a pot of coffee on the bedside table, occasionally watching the antics of bluetits, coaltits and goldfinches on the birdfeeders just outside the window.

etheltbags1 Wed 12-Nov-14 22:36:37

I love to read on my sofa with my two cats snuggled under the throw with me , otherwise I read in bed with the two of them on the quilt.
I sometimes drive to the lovely hills near rothbury/wooler and read my book in a shady laybye.

Maggiemaybe Wed 12-Nov-14 22:41:31

In bed, sometimes late into the night, and again in the morning, luxuriating in the knowledge that I don't have to get up at 6am now I've retired. I often still wake up at that time, then read till 9, just enjoying the fact that I can. Bliss, especially if the rain's rattling against the window and I'm tucked up cosy and warm with a great book.

Also, on journeys, particularly long ones on public transport.

Ana Wed 12-Nov-14 23:07:51

As this is yet another 'picked at random' prize draw, I may as well enter.

I do most of my reading in bed too! smile

stewaris Thu 13-Nov-14 04:14:18

My favourite place to read is in the garden on a hot, sunny afternoon with a glass of chilled white wine and total silence. Bliss!

jodie1131 Thu 13-Nov-14 04:53:29

i like to read in the bath smile

sidshane Thu 13-Nov-14 05:04:40

I love reading in the bath, a wonderful long soak and peace and quiet

mushypea Thu 13-Nov-14 05:12:35

I like to read either on the sofa or in bed-although I may grab a few lines on the toilet but don't tell anyone.

Wherever I like to read, it would appear that my dog likes to be there too, hence, I'm usually found book in hand and a dog draped over me (although she draws a line at the toilet).

On the plus side, she keeps me warm!

tabbaz Thu 13-Nov-14 05:27:42

I love being afloat - whether that is at sea or on the river or even on a lili! Seriously, I love reading when I can feel the water moving gently beneath me. So a lazy day on the river is perfect. (The bath really does not work for me)

jparslow Thu 13-Nov-14 05:50:21

anywhere and everywhere

lfc4eva Thu 13-Nov-14 06:19:35

My favourite place to read is on my daily bus journeys, and yes i have often gone past my stop as i have become so enrossed in the book.

spiderwebattic Thu 13-Nov-14 06:28:25

I love reading anywhere but especially in bed. All tucked up nice and cosey on a cold winters night all snuggly, with a hot drink and a lovely book. It helps me drift off into another world and into a deep sleep.

deanhead Thu 13-Nov-14 06:30:32

I love reading in bed in fact I cant sleep until I have spent an hour reading

saurus Thu 13-Nov-14 06:31:10

My favourite place to read is locked away in the bath - where I can have some peace and quiet and get lost in the story!

TracyKNixon Thu 13-Nov-14 06:49:51

I love readying on my couch in my living room and with a nice latte by my side!

girlunafraid Thu 13-Nov-14 07:05:39

Nothing better than a big old steamy bath with bubbles for relaxing and reading!