Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Great reads for Christmas. Win over £500 worth of amazing books!

(837 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 12-Nov-14 15:22:35

Over the festive season we love nothing more than curling up with a good book and a box of mince pie or two. And this year there are some VERY good books indeed. So we asked all the publishers we work with to nominate one of their favourite reads to enjoy this Christmas. And here they all are in one handy list.

Better still - one lucky gransnetter can win the ENTIRE lot. Yup - that's every book featured on the page. Worth more than £500. In our book (no pun intended) that's a pretty fine haul at any time of year - and absolutely perfect for Christmas.

We just want to know where you like reading. Your answers will be put into the very large hat and a draw (made at random) will take place at midday on Weds 10 December - so the winner will receive their prize in plenty of time for the big day. All the details on the page

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 15:28:30

That link doesn't work on my mini-iPad. Says "the requested resource is not available".

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 12-Nov-14 15:29:47

Give it another go - we have shooed the gremlin away

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 15:30:50

Oh! It does now. Did you do something Cari? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 15:31:21

Ahh! grin

Marmight Wed 12-Nov-14 15:31:37

What a lovely prize!
It depends on the season. In summer, I like to read in the garden but right now, on a cold, windy, wet day, I curl up on the sofa in my kitchen overlooking said garden, but with the comfort of heating sunshine

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 15:37:15

In my very old and extremely comfortable Ercol armchair by the window in my living room.

gillybob Wed 12-Nov-14 15:37:55

My favourite place used to be on the verandah of our static caravan wistfully looking out to sea but these days it tends to be in the armchair tucked into the corner of our bedroom. If I pull the blinds up and turn ever so slightly, I can still see the sea......

numberplease Wed 12-Nov-14 15:46:58

Stretched out on the settee, with a cushion at my back, and a drink of something close at hand, but when we holidayed in the caravan was the only time I enjoyed reading in bed, it just doesn`t feel the same at home.

chloe1984 Wed 12-Nov-14 15:56:10

My favourite place to read is in bed snuggled up with duvet and bedspread. Use my book bag to prop up my book absolute bliss.

Charleygirl Wed 12-Nov-14 16:00:58

I aso prefer to read, snuggled up in bed, one hand holding the book, the other stroking my cat.

Gagagran Wed 12-Nov-14 16:06:05

I can and do read anywhere and everywhere but my favourite place is in a big comfy armchair. Especially good in winter with the log burner going, the lamps lit, the curtains pulled and chores finished for the day. Perfect!

Galen Wed 12-Nov-14 16:21:24

On the toilet if I'm constipated.
Otherwise on the balcony of a Cunard ship in the Mediterranean.

MRSBSENIOR Wed 12-Nov-14 16:54:28

I like reading on my bed, preferably with a big cup of coffee and some snacks on one side, and my cat on the other.

Nonnie Wed 12-Nov-14 16:55:07

Thanks for the Animal Stories book. Not sure when it arrived as I've been away for weeks so this message may be rather late! I have a GS who is going to love it.

crystald Wed 12-Nov-14 17:06:02

I love to read cosied up on the bed. Only trouble is some nights I struggle to put the book down & end up reading on until far too late!

henetha Wed 12-Nov-14 17:23:01

In my car, in the middle of Dartmoor, with a flask of coffee and lots of sandwiches. First I go for a walk, then return to the car and spend hours and hours reading all manner of lovely books.

rubylady Wed 12-Nov-14 17:24:35

Sympathy and high five Galen, me too. Always have some reading material for the best seat in the house. grin

My favourite place to read my books has always been in bed, snuggled up with my little doggie. Last night she went out into the garden and heard some young girls go past and scrambled out under the gate to get petted. I called her and she didn't come back. My heart jumped into my mouth, my stomach lurched and I let out a scream to my son that she had disappeared. We searched the back street and crying with utter distress I checked the whole house in case I had missed her, but no.

I went back outside and walked around the corner, calling for her and crying, not being able to envision my life without her. I was now on the main road and dreading seeing her lying at the side of the road. We have only lived in this house 4 weeks. No sign of her but there was a group of three young girls across the road with something in one of their arms. I shouted to them "Have you got my dog?" "Yes" they shouted back. I nearly collapsed. They came across the road and I hugged the young girl holding her. Maggie stretched out to be taken by me and I very happily and gratefully took her, hugging her hard, still crying. The young girl started to stroke my arm and console me while telling me they had been calling at houses to try and find her owner. What a wonderful group of young ladies and their parents should be very proud of them. I was very, very glad I had found them, I was terrified of not finding her again. I wish I had told the girls to come back tonight for some reward money but nothing will be enough to thank them really but I thought they deserved something. I only thought of it though when I had calmed down later.

My son, being relieved but scared about her doing it again, went and sorted out the little gap she had got out from.

So, when Maggie curled up with me last night in bed and I started to read, I knew that I was a very lucky person indeed. Sometimes we take people/animals for granted and last night taught me lesson. I will cherish even more the little warm body who lies with me in bed while I read, gets up with me in the middle of the night if I am unwell, smiles when we are on holiday together (yes, she actually smiles) and is like my shadow, my best friend.

X

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 17:39:57

Fybogel?

Galen Wed 12-Nov-14 17:46:03

Senna! Not the philosopher

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 17:48:24

Can you move quick enough?!

NanaCorinne Wed 12-Nov-14 18:08:23

I love to read in my hammock with my lovely cat curled up on top of me, having nearly capsized us when she jumped in.

zeudytigre Wed 12-Nov-14 18:09:51

My favourite place to read is in my writer's room, surrounded by my books, their knowledge and wisdom seeping out...

janerowena Wed 12-Nov-14 18:30:48

Ooh - some lovely books there.

I'm not sure I have a favourite place. I keep books all over the house, as I always have several on the go. There is always one in my car, a small one in my shoulderbag, one is lying over on the sofa by the window to catch the morning heat from the sun while I have my coffee, another is on the tub chair by the fire and footstool - and the pile next to the bed on my table teeters and topples on a regular basis, waking us in the night.

I think early morning in bed. I have a cup of tea and read just a chapter, propped up against a cushion that holds open books perfectly, to set me up for the day. If it's raining I read two chapters.

Kiora Wed 12-Nov-14 18:34:08

My favourite place to read is on a sunny beach in Greece. Oh the warm breeze drifting across your skin, the sound of the sea. The waiter bringing coffee or beer. drifting off to sleep with the book still open. Knowing that there's nothing to bother you. You can open your eyes look at the sea, stretch and carry on reading.[sun] failing that I suppose Ill make do with curled up on the seatee with a packet of midget gems or wine brew wine or even cupcake