Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Merrily Watkins books

(38 Posts)
petallus Sat 03-Jan-15 12:46:20

A month ago someone mentioned these books in passing. I thought I'd give one of them a try and now I'm hooked. I'm going back to Book1 and reading through the whole lot in sequence.

It was perfect reading to see me through my recent stay in hospital and forced immobility whilst recovering (which will go on for a few weeks yet). Entertaining, easy to read but well written.

petallus Sat 03-Jan-15 12:46:43

Someone on GN mentioned them so thanks to whoever it was.

Crafting Sat 03-Jan-15 12:58:34

What are they about Petallus? I've not heard of them before.

Gracesgran Sat 03-Jan-15 13:51:48

Absolutely love them. The village I lived in before I left home was mentioned in the last one "The Magus of Hay". Written by Phil Rickman Crafting. I knew he had a website and was looking it up for you. This is the page about the Merrily books www.philrickman.co.uk/merrily/ and what did I then see but a page saying that "Midwinter of the Spirit" could be screened early next autumn on ITV Encore. I have a horrible feeling this channel is only available through Sky - I hope I'm wrong.

I have just downloaded "The House of Susan Lulham" - only available on Kindle. They say:

"... (a Kindle Single ghost story) was Amazon’s 2014 Christmas Number One crime and thriller short. It was developed from the story written for the international crime collection, Oxcrimes, published last May. The new novella, more than five times as long, is a part sequel and a response to readers who wanted to know what happened next. It now becomes Merrily 12 and a half. And you know what comes after number 12.5 in the average street…"

mollie65 Sat 03-Jan-15 13:55:25

living in the area (herefordshire borders) it is very evocative of the place and its characters/stories. to my mind the Ludlow book is by far the best but they are much better to be read in sequence (nice long books too)
I would be reluctant to see televised versions of the books as so much is in the descriptive words and the characters hmm

Gracesgran Sat 03-Jan-15 14:02:27

Agree that the "pictures are better in the mind" in this case mollie65 although I don't know if I could not watch just to see.

mollie65 Sat 03-Jan-15 14:05:39

who could portray 'Gomer' - the picture of him in my mind is an old Herefordshire country man very rough and ready and sprinkling the unacceptable swear words in his conversation like my father would grin

daffydil Sat 03-Jan-15 14:43:34

gracegran I think ITV Encore is on Freeview if you have that

Lilygran Sat 03-Jan-15 14:59:15

Thank you, Gracesgran I'd missed this one! Have you read the children's books about Marco and Glastonbury?

Gracesgran Sat 03-Jan-15 16:41:26

I knew Gomer! Prior to my marriage my OH lived in a house where he had "digs" with a lot of other young professionals. The house was owned by a lovely couple and was in a village just outside Hereford. He was a small man who had been involved with the land and horses all his life and was as knowledgeable about his love - horses, as Gomer is about plant hire. He was very much the "salt of the earth" and I picture him every time I read about Gomer.

Gracesgran Sat 03-Jan-15 16:42:54

Lilygran - no I haven't. I will look them up. Would love to share one of my favourite authors with the GCs.

petallus Sat 03-Jan-15 17:55:32

One of the characters in the books describes Gomer as Bart Simpson grown into an old man.

Crafting Sat 03-Jan-15 19:12:15

Thanks Gracesgran nothing I like more than a good read. I will look out for the books on my next visit to the library on Monday.

TheVioletHour Fri 09-Jan-15 17:35:46

Phil Rickman's latest (non-Merrily book), Night after Night is on offer today on Kindle and Nook, £2.09

Retiredguy Sun 25-Jan-15 15:37:15

I've read all Phil Watkins books and really enjoyed them especially the Merrily Watkins series.
This latest one Night after Night was good.
According to his website there is to be a TV version of one of the Merrily books.

Soutra Sun 25-Jan-15 18:26:57

Somebody on GN got me going on these last year(wasn't 't it you rosesarered?) and I devoured them! I found the level of "weird" grew as the books progressed and actually preferred the early books, but I was hooked too!

petallus Sun 25-Jan-15 19:46:17

I'm on book 7!

annodomini Sun 25-Jan-15 20:22:47

I've read five Merrily books now and like the way the characters develop.

Retiredguy Mon 26-Jan-15 13:41:49

Edited due to typo...
I've read all Phil Rickman books and really enjoyed them especially the Merrily Watkins series.
This latest one Night after Night was good.
According to his website there is to be a TV version of one of the Merrily books.

annodomini Mon 26-Jan-15 14:20:03

Didn't like to point that out, Retired! I'm in two minds about TV adaptations. How can Merrily conform to the image I have of her?

Retiredguy Mon 26-Jan-15 15:01:07

Absolutely.
Whoever gets to play Merrily will in no wise look like my image of her.
Can't remember which of the books is being filmed but the news is on Phil's excellent website.

rosequartz Mon 26-Jan-15 15:22:22

My ancestors are from Leintwardine - perhaps I should give the books a try.
The trouble is I always read the 1* reviews and get put off. Now, if it was a free download I would have no hesitation!

mollie65 Wed 28-Jan-15 07:11:46

rosequartz - do try them - suggest you borrow one from the library and see whether you like it - I have read them all (sometimes more than once) - know Leintwardine very well as it is on my 'patch' and the countryside around the borders is lovely smile

rosequartz Wed 28-Jan-15 13:18:35

I have just found one I downloaded on to my kindle a while ago and forgot about. I started it last night; so far we are still in the orchard ...

I have never been to Leintwardine, my Gx2 grandfather moved away from there in the 1850s!

rosequartz Wed 28-Jan-15 13:19:24

or it could have been GX3 grandfather!