Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Self Publishing.

(135 Posts)
Mimosa Thu 21-May-15 18:21:10

Hi
This week I launched my first self published book. I have written and illustrated The Amberstone Dragon an adventure story for older children and adults. This is now available on a digital format in the Amazon Kindle Store.

The reason for starting this post is I would really like to chat to anyone who has done the same thing. What process did you use to promote your book? I am on Facebook and the usual media platforms, but at 68 it does sometimes seem rather daunting. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks x

Anya Sun 31-May-15 12:47:00

I read somewhere that more that 50% of Anericans think Sherlock Holmes was a real person.

jollyg Sun 31-May-15 12:52:01

As my rather old fashioned schoolteacher used to tell the class

'Empty kettles make the most sound'

soontobe Sun 31-May-15 12:53:33

I meant about the publishing aspect of the American market Galen. I have already sussed that the book I am writing probably fits well with the American market. I wasnt very clear.
There is someone I know and can ask if it was self published, but not about American publishing houses.

janerowena Sun 31-May-15 12:56:02

Only just over half the population over here admit to having any belief whatsoever, and most of those are not practising, let alone christian, whereas in the USA over 70% are Christians and quite a high proportion go to church regularly. It's bucking the trend for western countries, with religious belief growing rather than falling. I can see why it would be a better market for a book.

Nelliemoser Sun 31-May-15 14:27:59

A lot of American Christian creationist and fundamentalists think the world was created about 4,600 yrs ago.

It always surprises me that such a religious and generally rich country has very harsh welfare conditions and inhumane prison systems. I always wonder if they have lost the Christian message of compassion somwhere along the way.

How you fit a book to suit the religious US right without looking at the realities of their deeply unequal society seems quite a challenge.

soontobe Sun 31-May-15 15:05:03

I think it would be best if a different thread is started by someone if you want to talk about that, as that subject is not to do with marketing a self published book.

Jane10 Sun 31-May-15 15:26:10

Hear hear soontobe. You can self publish whatever you like. However, its quality if not externally edited/proof read etc may be questionable and a market for any book isn't guaranteed. Just write your book and see what you've got. Good luck!

Envious Sun 31-May-15 16:34:01

Go to killernashvillemagazine.com my husband writes a column about self publishing. Look under profiles at article being your own boss. Lots of great advice on the site.

Soutra Sun 31-May-15 17:42:33

I don't get the impression anybody wants to start a thread about Christianity in the US, just a few relevant comments by members confused
You haven't told us what your book is about, soontobe, is it non-fiction or a novel? or maybe autobiographical?

I wonder if the questionable editing and proofreading I sometimes encounter on Kindle books might be because they are self-published? It can really get inn the way of my enjoyment of a book.

No offence to self publishers who are scrupulous about this kind of thing - oops!

Galen Sun 31-May-15 17:54:32

And S2B it's not for you to dictate what should be in a thread or not!
Threads evolve naturally.

soontobe Sun 31-May-15 18:42:01

Brilliant Galen. Marvellous!

It is non fiction. Very bible based. More suited to American christians probably. Plus there are more of them!

soontobe Sun 31-May-15 18:46:28

Soutra, yes re the self publishing.
The person I know who has done it, is embarassed by her multiple spelling mistakes.

Ana Sun 31-May-15 18:47:03

Goodness, for a moment there I thought you meant there were more of your books in the offing, soontobe...

soontobe Sun 31-May-15 18:51:46

I may have one more in me, maybe not. But personally, and I dont know about anyone else, it takes a lot out of me.
I have read of people chain smoking through them. Others drink coffee. I suck sweets ie sugar. Not good for me.

grrrranny Sun 31-May-15 19:50:57

Galen is marvellous and brilliant and brave and intelligent. Wish I had half of her courage. Off thread topic - never mind.

soontobe Sun 31-May-15 19:53:19

Good smile

NanKate Sun 31-May-15 20:03:13

Hello Soontobe well a lot has been happening on this thread since I was on early this morning.

You asked me two questions so here goes. From my experience self publishing generates very few sales because there is no one out there to see your book unless you make great efforts to promote yourself, especially if it is on Kindle as opposed to hard copy.

My friend got a local charity shop to allow her to launch her book, but of course you have to try and get folks to attend the promotion and more importantly buy the book.

Even with established authors like my DS his publisher expects him to do some self promotion so this year he is touring on and off for 12 weeks to schools/ festivals in the UK and abroad. I only tell you this so that you realise that very few, if any, authors can survive without doing self marketing. The publisher provides posters, bookmarks etc but my DS distributes them predominantly himself.

I really don't want to be negative but breaking into the USA market is notoriously difficult, even though I agree with you that the subject of your book may appeal to Christians over there. Perhaps you could send some copies of your book to some church groups in the US, just a thought.

Don't let me put you off writing, you could be the lucky one whose book takes off.

Jane10 Sun 31-May-15 20:05:19

I never knew that any books were self published when I first got my Kindle. I did find some apparent typos in some of them but it didn't occur to me that they weren't published by any other than big name publishers. I'm a voracious reader and read all sorts of books. I found some to be endearingly naive but thought it was deliberate! I like some of the old war time diaries that the writers children have found and published. Really intriguing insights into everyday life.

Soutra Sun 31-May-15 20:10:45

Brilliant Galen. Marvellous
What is all that about?
Have I missed something or is it meant to be heavy sarcasm. If the latter, it is entirely out of order and warrants an apology for being downright rude. And adding Good smile only compounds the insult.

And why should someone you "know" be embarrassed by spelling mistakes when there are enough perfectly good dictionaries out there not to mention the ubiquitous spellcheckers confused

I think this is a wind-up.

mcem Sun 31-May-15 20:25:41

More than once I've been glad of the kindle option to download a sample before buying a book. Poor syntax and grammar plus limited vocabulary and contrived writing style meant that I certainly didn't want to commit to the full purchase!
For a first amateur attempt I'd say excellent proof reading is absolutely essential to the inexperienced writer.
Must admit that I found the first chapter of Fifty Shades of Grey really dire and that didn't even have the excuse of being self-published. Still don't think I missed much.
Am I the only one who thought the title of this thread was becoming rather ironic?

Ana Sun 31-May-15 20:28:49

No, you aren't the only one, mcem!

Galen Sun 31-May-15 20:40:49

?

Jane10 Sun 31-May-15 20:41:28

I'd be disappointed if it was. I was interested in reading more about self publishing and other GNer's experience of it. If it is being subverted I'm off!

Iam64 Sun 31-May-15 20:43:02

mcem - no definitely not the only one smile

soontobe Sun 31-May-15 21:13:31

I meant I was glad that threads evolve naturally.
and good to grrrranny too.
I dont do sarcasm, heavy or otherwise.
Read my posts again, please.

NanKate's post.
Thank you for the good advice.
I agree that I think that the big trouble with self publishing is marketing. Not easy the other way either.