Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Self Publishing.

(135 Posts)
Mimosa Thu 21-May-15 18:21:10

Hi
This week I launched my first self published book. I have written and illustrated The Amberstone Dragon an adventure story for older children and adults. This is now available on a digital format in the Amazon Kindle Store.

The reason for starting this post is I would really like to chat to anyone who has done the same thing. What process did you use to promote your book? I am on Facebook and the usual media platforms, but at 68 it does sometimes seem rather daunting. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks x

ffinnochio Tue 02-Jun-15 19:48:52

I really did not think that Mimosa was only concerned with pushing her book. Yes, she had something to promote, yet feel that was not the sole purpose of her post. She was clearly interested in advice, support, ideas and contacting others with similar interest and who may have constructive information to share.

Jane10 Tue 02-Jun-15 20:34:13

I agree ffinnochio. I thought it could be a really interesting exchange of experiences and in a way it was.

NanKate Wed 03-Jun-15 07:36:57

I find it sad that Mimosa should have been criticised for her motives in posting this thread. IMO her main motive was to get advice and support.

If I had written and self published a book I would be brimming with excitement to tell others.

Well done to you Mimosa and other budding authors! I know personally the work, effort and tears that go into writing a book.

ChrisCal Fri 12-Jun-15 22:47:22

To anyone who has endured the delightful agony of producing a book, well done. Storytelling is an art whereas writing is a craft, one that has to be learned like any other. I started writing novels when already in my early seventies. With lots of help from a good editor I learned the nuts and bolts of how to put together a readable novel. Three finished and um... doing reasonably well so far. With the fourth I am at the stage where the thing has taken over and seems to have a life of its own. Delight and agony at the same time.

There's nothing wrong with criticizm. A reader who has paid for a product is entitled to express an opinion about it. Personally I welcome it (yes, really!) because it is the only way to improve, even if one does not always agree with any particular view.

Good luck to you, Mimosa. Keep writing and keep banging the drum.

Soutra Sat 13-Jun-15 10:59:18

I hope you have a good proof reader . .. . . * criticiZm*??? shock

ChrisCal Sat 13-Jun-15 11:50:27

Blame MS Word. It's the (American) default speling in the software. I leave it there becuase sales are higher in US/English locations.

Speaking of de fault ...no I won't go there, Soutra. Thank you for your response, most welcome.

Ana Sat 13-Jun-15 11:59:28

I can't find any reference anywhere to 'criticizm' being the US way of spelling 'criticism'.

Just saying.

Soutra Sat 13-Jun-15 12:18:42

De fault is in de spellchecker, I can't find that as a US variation either, as Ana has said. grin

ChrisCal Sat 13-Jun-15 13:25:45

Well now! Thank you both,you are correct. The difference between criticize and criticism, both from the same root, is apparently inexplicable.

So apologies to all, I was wrong to blame Word, I confess to having made an incorrect assumption.

Back to the keyboard; I have unfinished business.