Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Kindle or book

(40 Posts)
Sheena Fri 29-May-15 18:18:14

I've had my kindle for a couple of years now and for a long time I was absolutely hooked....loved downloading in seconds my next "read"...but as time has gone on I really miss holding a book, and confess to having now bought several paperbacks and really enjoying holding a proper book once more.

Has anyone else given up on their kindle and gone back to traditional reading?

rubylady Sun 31-May-15 02:27:28

Book, but paperback mostly. I haven't used my Kindle for ages now. I love the feel and smell of a book. Now, back to Lee Mack in the bathroom for our tete-a-tete!

Lapwing Sun 31-May-15 07:13:07

I love my Kindle for fiction and biographies, I have arthritis and the paperwhite is so much lighter and easier to hold. But for reference books such a nature or cookery books it has to be a physical book.

One of the joys of the Kindle is being able to download books at any time, you do not have to travel miles to a shop or wait for them opening, a bonus for me as I live miles and miles from a bookshop.

Purpledaffodil Sun 31-May-15 09:00:27

i bought DH a Kindle for the Text to speech possibilities as he lost his literacy after a stroke. Although better than nothing, it does sound rather robotic and not all books are available to use it.
I bought a Kobo when there was a really cheap offer on. You can download library books and even reserve them which is handy.
That said, I do enjoy the look and feel of a real book, but now always pass them on to friends and family in an attempt to keep down the amount of stuff we have and to share the joy too grin

Pittcity Sun 31-May-15 09:06:14

I love my Kindle. The only real books I read now are the ones I win on GN or some reference books.

I downloaded a phrase book for my holiday and found it awkward to use on Kindle. We were in a no signal area and so my translation app was useless. I really needed a real book then!

soontobe Sun 31-May-15 15:18:05

I could never see the attraction of kindle. Books every time.

Grannyknot Sun 31-May-15 15:26:03

purple me too! (re books). I'm about to pass my copy of The House of Hidden Mothers on.

Granne72 Sun 31-May-15 19:15:51

I download free books and audio books from our library to my tablet . I love to listen to audio books whilst knitting. This is a great service but i also take physical books out of the library as i really want it to stay open.

Dotsmam Sun 31-May-15 23:31:36

Cookery books and knitting patterns have just got to be in paper form. I thought I would really miss the whole bookieness of books when my girls gave me my kindle 3 years ago and although I was grateful for the gift I secretly though I would give it a go then just pop it into my "glory hole" (see language thread!) . How wrong was I. I am a total convert. I love my kindle and it comes everywhere with me.

Dotsmam Sun 31-May-15 23:34:25

Oh granne72 what a brilliant idea. Books and knitting at the same time. My kindle fire has an audio book app thingmy. Guess what I am doing tomorrow?

Purpledaffodil Tue 02-Jun-15 04:30:15

It's a good thing to do isn't it Grannyknot? I admire your speed with the Meera Syal book, I have yet to start my copy. Three cheers for GN Book club!

Ariadne Tue 02-Jun-15 11:10:55

I don't use cookery books much any more - though I do continue to use my file of favourite recipes. Bu now, you can usually find any recipe, and some fantastic variations, online, so I use my mini iPad propped up (well away from splashes etc!) and bookmark the recipe.

JackyB Tue 02-Jun-15 11:42:54

I might still be in the honeymoon phase, but I am entirely in the Kindle camp. Books are unhygenic, dust-collectors, expensive and require so much storage space. Not to mention impossible to read in bed when you're lying down. And don't talk to me about paper cuts!

When I'm reading a paper book I often find myself putting my finger on a word to call up the dictionary to look it up, or wanting to search for where I'd read a name before. Silly me! How did we ever manage without those functions?

I have a dozen books on my bedside table waiting to be read, but I keep downloading things on to my Kindle. OK - some of them are not great, but mainly they are from the Deals and cost less than a Euro. If I was going into a bookshop to buy books, I wouldn't risk the money on an author or a genre I hadn't heard of before, or wouldn't normally be attracted by.

And if I get fed up of the cheap modern novels, I have the complete works of Dickens, Thomas Hardy, the Brontes, Jane Austen, D H Lawrence etc etc at my fingertips for some more substantial, yet cheap reading matter.

Cookery books would be great on a tablet or laptop. I have loads of them and only really look at them. If I need a recipe, I use the internet.

My only gripe about the Kindle is that the spelling is usually American, and that occasionally there are typographical errors or, funnily enough, names get muddled up.

Granne72 Tue 02-Jun-15 17:02:36

Dotsman beware once you get the knitting and being read to bug , enjoy!

Nelliemoser Tue 02-Jun-15 17:30:54

JackyB Books! Unhygenic? Good grief! How many people have ever caught some nasty bug off a book?

Granne72 You have the very solution! I need an audio book. I prefer a book in paper form but I have not read much lately as I have been too busy knitting in my spare time.
Right now my hand joints are complaining and I might have to resort to a just a book for a while.