Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Old favourites

(37 Posts)
apricot Mon 12-Oct-15 19:42:17

What do you go back to when you've got nothing new to read?
I happily re-read all the old classics and read The Lord of the Rings every year or two.
It's good to go back to something you really enjoyed the first time, I've recently re-read Life of Pi, We Need to Talk about Kevin and Sarum.
Some books I thought fantastic but I can't bear to read again, like Cormac McCarthy's, because they are so harrowing.

Daisyanswerdo Sat 17-Oct-15 13:37:04

E F Benson, the Mapp and Lucia stories; National Velvet; Cold Comfort Farm; Little Women; Caroline Glyn; Elizabeth Bowen.

queenie53 Sat 17-Oct-15 14:09:52

The Magus by John Fowles. I was first introduced to it by a schoolfriend when I was fourteen or fifteen, I would read it secretly during boring English literature lessons, and have read it every few years since, I'm now 62 and took it on holiday this year to read yet again. It's a lengthy book and each time I read it I find parts I had forgotten so it never gets boring.

jimorourke Sat 17-Oct-15 14:56:55

I like Biographies of interesting historical folk and often re read them

brawlass Sat 17-Oct-15 17:10:01

Re-read Jane Eyre at least every year, Little Women, Girl of the Limberlost again and again, and started on the first Outlander by D.Gabaldon again.

LullyDully Sat 17-Oct-15 17:39:21

I love Dickensian. Especially Great Expectations

Christiana Sat 17-Oct-15 18:30:08

Of course The Lord of the Rings then Jean Auel's Cave Bear series - fabulous read, Anne MacGafreys dragon series, Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice and last but not least The Belle Fields by Lora Adams. I can read all of these again and again.

apricot Sat 17-Oct-15 19:49:22

A lot of people love Jane Eyre but I dislike it intensely. I just can't find anything to admire or sympathise with in Jane. I shan't waste time reading it again ever.

hildajenniJ Sat 17-Oct-15 20:39:46

Feet of Clay and Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett. Pride and Prejudice, and Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. I go back time and again to Terry Pratchett when I need a good laugh.

Icyalittle Sat 17-Oct-15 21:44:51

So many here that go for me too: Austen, Pickwick Papers, Terry Pratchett for a real laugh, Bryson, Girl of the Limberlost and Freckles. I also love Mary Stewart for escapism, just re-read her Gabriel Hounds and the Moon Spinners. Susan Hill's Lanterns in The Snow for Christmas.

Bennan Sat 17-Oct-15 23:23:44

Georgette Heyer, Mary Stewart, Jane Austen, J D Robb, Pat McIntosh, Alexander McCall Smith, Nora Roberts, Louisa May Allcott and Jean Auel. There are a few others but they are my favourites. There is such comfort in going back to these authors and you always find something new about characters or plot-lines that make it worthwhile.

Deedaa Sun 18-Oct-15 21:39:30

Jane Austen, Terry Pratchett, Josephine Tey, C.J.Sansom ( what would a psychiatrist make of this combination?) Mustn't forget Mapp and Lucia and I do enjoy re reading Libby Purvis's novels.

Mary Stewart's The Gabriel Hounds is one of my absolute favourites "I met him in the Street called Straight". I have recently discovered M.C.Beaton's Agatha Raisin detective novels and been completely hooked. They are so complicated that I can reread them without remembering who dunnit.