Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Win £700 worth of the best books of 2015!

(706 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 10-Nov-15 10:26:09

Yes, it's that time of year again - and may we now present this year's round up of the best reads for the festive season.

Something for everyone - and a chance for one person to win every single book featured on the page...a prize haul worth OVER £700!!

So how to enter? Simple! Tell us about your favourite book...in 140 characters or less.

All qualifying entries will be popped into our giant Santa hat and a winner will be pulled out at midday on Tuesday 8 December...to give us plenty of time to get the HUGE box of goodies over to you before the festive season begins.

TN Tue 10-Nov-15 11:42:32

It has to be Jane Eyre. Since I first read it aged about 11, I have been captivated by this orphan, her trials and moral dilemmas. Oh and the romance – need I say more?

Granny1951 Tue 10-Nov-15 11:43:21

Cider With Rosie is my favourite. Read it first in my last year at school - a million years ago ! I've returned to it again and again over the years. To achieve the perfect conditions for reading the book you need a cold Sunday afternoon, a pile of hot buttered toast and a log fire burning. Bliss grin

DiJones Tue 10-Nov-15 11:45:59

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, a Da Vinci Code for literary grownups.

cylleneg Tue 10-Nov-15 11:46:10

My favourite book is The Collective Works Of Edgar Allan Poe,
A great book of gothic mysteries with twists and turns that make the hairs on the back of your neck rise! Also makes me think deeply about the subjects within the pages.
A brilliantly crafted collection from a brilliant literary craftsman!
An absolute master of the macabre!!!
Absolutely adore it.

NotSpaghetti Tue 10-Nov-15 11:46:23

Madame Bovary -
Emma Bovary chases a dream of excitement and passion - an escape from her boring life - which ultimately leads to adultery, penury, misery and destruction.
A complex character who you want to like more than you do. Detached but gripping writing. Almost poetic but couldn't put it down.

sedgwick20 Tue 10-Nov-15 11:46:58

Love all books will read anything but always go back to the Classics,especially love Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte

Larnipoo42 Tue 10-Nov-15 11:47:54

The Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold. From the get go well drawn, arched characters, phenomenal narrative arc. The way settings/environments are described you are embedded to in that towns trauma. Film only touches the surface of this brilliant read.

garethevans0108 Tue 10-Nov-15 11:48:13

The player of Games - Iain M Banks explaining the labyrinth of holding on to privilege via a sci fi spy story

stunning

curlytops Tue 10-Nov-15 11:49:09

I haven't really got a favourite book but I enjoy any thing by Bernard Cornwell or Simon Scarrow.

winterpark Tue 10-Nov-15 11:50:13

My favourite book is called THE FOG by my favourite author James Herbert. I'm an avid horror fan so this book ticked all the boxes for me, it's well written, scary, and part of it is set local to where I live so I recognised the places he referred too, just brilliant smile

pinksilver Tue 10-Nov-15 11:50:35

Hard to choose but probably Tolkein's Lord of the Rings an epic good v evil tale with fascinating characters and worlds. I love this book so much I chose my daughter's name from it

Pamaga Tue 10-Nov-15 11:50:38

My favourite book?
So hard to choose!
I might just plump
For 'Ballet Shoes',
A childhood favourite
That aroused
A love of reading
Still espoused.

Lynnx Tue 10-Nov-15 11:51:52

I have just finished reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult it was an excellent read and a very real and moving story.

Coppernob Tue 10-Nov-15 11:52:00

My Secret Sister: Jenny Lucas and Helen Edwards' family story. I too had a secret sister about whom I knew absolutely nothing, not even that she existed until 13 years ago.

boulding2 Tue 10-Nov-15 11:52:02

I love all sorts of books from Harry Potter to Kay scarpetta by Patricia cornwell even a saucy book occasionally by Jackie or Joan Collins but it's the classics that i tend to revisit sometimes a Christmas carol or Jane eyre even.

quizqueen Tue 10-Nov-15 11:55:02

My favourite book is the THE END OF ETERNITY by Isaac Asimov. I know Sci Fi is not everyone's cup of tea but it has a bit of a love angle as well although that is not Asimov's forte. The theme is thought provoking especially in today's political climate where almost our every move is being monitored and controlled by the government, for own benefit of course!

Cagsy Tue 10-Nov-15 11:55:46

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. A beautiful book that etches the horror of was into your imagination so that when the memory of the details dim the fear and pain, love and loss evoked never does.

rebbonk Tue 10-Nov-15 11:56:54

My favourite has to be: Mosquito, the first multi role combat aircraft. Beautifully written with many previously unseen pictures.

toria100 Tue 10-Nov-15 11:57:41

My favourite book is The Seige by Helen Dunmore. If you haven't read it you must.
It charts the lives of a family living through the siege of Leningrad. Their struggles for survival through starvation even boiling book bindings to get the glue out to make a soup. The descriptions of the family Dacha where they grow and store food and just human interaction.

Worthingpatchworkers Tue 10-Nov-15 11:58:20

One of my favourite books is..'Christmas Story', by Charles Dickens. I try to read it each year, and encourage others to read it too.

MrsJ2000 Tue 10-Nov-15 11:58:21

favourite book - Labyrinth by Kate Mosse
It takes me back to holidays in France and although this book flits between the past and the present in Carcasonne France it enables the reader to view France as if you are actually there in the story. It brings back memories for me of visiting there on holiday and as I love books related to history (fact or fiction) this has me engrossed from start to finish

JARJAB Tue 10-Nov-15 11:59:12

There are so many good books to choose from, but my all time
favourite is The Choir, by Joanna Trollope.

Cagsy Tue 10-Nov-15 11:59:20

that should be 'war' of course, should re-read my post more carefully!

mysticwen Tue 10-Nov-15 11:59:32

the island by victoria hislop

set on the isle of spinalonga a leper colony. the story revolves around the isolated lepers the people that help them and the mainland residents who lose some of their loved one to this terrible disease and have a long and painful journey coming to terms with their change in circumstances. beautifully written,moving and so very real you can see the characters. there is joy in this tale but also tears. never has a book tugged so hard at my heart strings.

sylviann Tue 10-Nov-15 11:59:53

My favourite book is Stephen Kings The Stand the fight between good and evil the struggle keep the people free from evil domination