Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading now?

(1001 Posts)
loopylou Sun 22-Nov-15 20:09:17

Thanks are due to the lovely GNs who, some months ago, suggested books that might rekindle my love of reading.
I'm hooked on CJ Sansom's Shardlake series, utterly engrossing.
I'm really surprised just how much I'm enjoying reading historical 'Whodunit', probably the last thing I'd have chosen a few months ago.

Elrel Sun 29-Nov-15 00:16:52

Breakfast at Tiffanys.

Leah50 Sun 29-Nov-15 10:21:30

I read about 6 books every week, everything from Scandi-crime to comic Sci-Fi. I have plenty of time as I rarely watch TV, have friends who say they have no time to read in their busy lives...then go on to tell me what's happening on Soaps, Reality and Talent Shows, none of which I've ever seen, Each to their own eh?

adrisco Sun 29-Nov-15 10:37:59

I'm almost at the end of "A Few of the Girls" - short stories by Maeve Binchy. Next it's "If you Go Away" by Adele Parks.

granfromafar Sun 29-Nov-15 11:43:12

About a quarter the way through 'I am Malala' by Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani girl who was shot in the head by the Taliban 3 years ago on a journey home from school. Amazing that she is only 18 and has done do much already. Truly inspirational and has an easy-to read style of writing.

Cath9 Sun 29-Nov-15 11:47:50

If you like love stories, I have been reading the three books by Rosie Clarke, all on the love affair of a lady by the name of Emma,
I gave it to my daughter-in-law who also liked reading it.

Cath

annifrance Sun 29-Nov-15 11:57:09

I too loved the Shardlake series, and have Lamentation in waiting. At the moment I am reading his Dominion, a 'fantasy' about what would have happened if Hitler had won the war and taken over UK. Chilling really, and a very good read. Also thoroughly enjoyed Winter in Madrid, which explained a lot about the Spanish Civil War of which I was ignorant.

I loved the Peter James' Roy Grace detective series set in Brighton. Also David Downing's station series. Set in Berlin from 1933 to 1948. Each station around the city is the starting point for countries to the East. In UK I think we know about what happened in Western Europe, but these books were not only a well-written, good spy story it really explained a lot of the history of Eastern Europe at that time.

I had a hip replacement this summer so it was a wonderful excuse to sit by the pool in Southern France sunshine and read copious amounts of books - to many to mention here!

dancingnana1 Sun 29-Nov-15 12:16:07

I am reading After You by Jojo Moyes. It is the sequel to Me before You. It is brilliant. Can't put it down.

creed Sun 29-Nov-15 12:21:23

In fact the TV series was based on the books, which I think much better. I started reading them way back when, and certainly in the early ones there was a humorous touch that got lost. Charlaine Harris has another series about a woman who can talk to the dead to help solve crimes. The first one is Grave Sight.

You may like the Anita Blake, vampire hunter series by Laurell K Hamilton, but they too go really crazy later in the series, especially with Anita's sex life!

sweetpea Sun 29-Nov-15 13:12:21

Heavens Leah50, how do you manage six books a week! Have just read This Boy by Alan Johnson (set by the book group I belong to), The Sunrise by Victoria Hislop. Really enjoyed those two. Just started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, only on page three, so can't comment! smile

Nanajaws Sun 29-Nov-15 13:26:47

I love Sansom's Shardlake series too and hope there will be another after Lamentation. If you like those books you may like to read S J Parris's series about Ex Italian monk Giordino Bruno who is a 'detective' in England for Elizabeth 1 and gets caught up in fabulous murder mysteries - start the series in order, which I think is Sacrilege, Prophecy, Heresy, Treachery. Entirely different, I enjoyed the Elly Griffiths series about forensic archaelogist, Ruth Galloway, who lives in Norfolk. Again you need to read them in order and can find her on line (cos I've forgotten the order !). I too enjoyed Miss Carter's War by Sheila Hancock, and also Wake by Anna Hope. Life after Life by Kate Atkinson is brilliant too, with the main character just surviving death over and over again because she takes a left turn instead of a right, for example. It's much more involved than that so read it and you'll see. On a very different topic to the above, A Fort of Nine Towers, a real story of survival in Afghanistan by Qais Akbar Omar is a very enlightening read, as is The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul, by Deborah Rodriguez.

Nanajaws Sun 29-Nov-15 13:28:56

This Boy is on my wish list too Sweetpea.

grandmac Sun 29-Nov-15 13:44:14

Currently nearly finished Citadel by Kate Mosse, the last of a trilogy. Then will start After You by Jojo Moyes, courtesy of Grandsnet, thank you.

"annifrance" I really enjoyed David Downing's station series too.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 29-Nov-15 13:49:02

I've just finished rereading Jodi Taylor's The Chronicles of St Mary's series and so sad that I have to wait until next year for the next book in the series.

For years I looked down my nose at Urban Fantasy fiction, but it's my favourite now and wait impatiently for new books by a growing list of authors like Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files), Ben Aaronovitch (Rivers of London), Kevin Aherne (The Druid Chronicles) or Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson) and many more.

Problems with concentration mean I listen to the audiobook versions and the voice of narrator makes all the difference.

I've got several books I could start, but I fancy something new... smile

Hymnbook Sun 29-Nov-15 13:53:17

I have been lucky enough to borrow from my lovely local library the whole series of books by Nicci French about Freida Klein "Monday - Friday" This is'nt the title there are 5 books in all each covering a different day of the week. I'm hoping there will be a follow up.

jeanblew Sun 29-Nov-15 14:58:26

I like Lee Childs thrillers with Jack Reacher and have read quite a few of his books. I'm currently on holiday in Guatamala and reading Michael Connelly "Closer" it's a who~done~it mystery thriller type with Detective Bosch.

gulligranny Sun 29-Nov-15 15:45:09

I've just finished "A Game For All The Family" by Sophie Hannah, the queen of psychological thrillers. Now started "A Spool of Blue Thread" by Anne Tyler, whose characters don't actually do very much but whose prose is exquisite. On reading this thread I find there's a Lisa Jewell (The Girls) that I knew nothing about so I'll be putting that on reserve in the library as I love her books.

OlderNoWiser Sun 29-Nov-15 16:17:49

I've really got into the Peter James crime books lately, which is not something I would usually read, as I try to read stuff that will at least teach me someting new. This is really just thrash, like a soap in book form, but very entertaining and just right for me at the moment, as I have a lot going on in my life, so the last thing I need is a challenging book ....

MargaretX Sun 29-Nov-15 17:04:41

claudiaclaws That's the whole point of Kindle is that I can read Wuthering Heights on it, the copy I have at home is the orange penguin edition from 1965. I had perfect eyesight then.

I love reading this post but have not found anything I want to read yet - still looking.

grandMattie Sun 29-Nov-15 17:27:08

I loved the "Guernsey literary"etc. book. In the early '80s there was another Guernsey occupation book called "The book of Eberneezer LePage". I was transfixed especially as we lived in Jersey at the time. The Channel Islands suffered horribly during WWII.

I'm reading a book about Princess Louise, Queen Vic's youngest daughter, and just finished a Joanna Trollope. I read one light one heavy... Finished a creepy book called "Winnie and Wolf" which was a novel about Hilter and Winnie Wagner. Didn't much enjoy it.

Shall certainly try the Sansom books. Haven't come across them before. Like Ann Cleeve's Orkney series as well as the Vera Stanhope ones.]]I do watch a lot of TV but reading is like breathing to me. Can't stop or i die.

suelowe Sun 29-Nov-15 17:34:52

It's a while since I read them ( it ? ) but the Helliconia Trilogy by Brian Aldiss will never leave me . Same goes for Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy , and a sea trilogy about sailing to Australia ...but I have long forgotten author ( poss Wm Golding ) and title/s. ( Maybe someone can help me out .... ).
Please feel free to draw the conclusion that I like trilogies .... inc Lord of the Rings !

Conni7 Sun 29-Nov-15 17:40:52

"Where my heart used to beat" by Sebastian Faulkes - his latest book. I enjoyed his "Birdsong" and "Charlotte Gray" so much.

numberplease Sun 29-Nov-15 18:13:00

Grandmattie, if you do read the C.J.Sansom books, do start with the first one, Dissolution, and read them in order.

LindabytheWinda Sun 29-Nov-15 18:24:45

Anything and everything by Linwood Barclay. Currently reading 'No Safe House'. Son and heir brought me 'No Time for Goodbye' when I was in hospital and I was hooked!

starbird Sun 29-Nov-15 18:39:52

I have just finished Secrets of the Lighthouse by Santa Montefiore. She has written lots of books and they have an interesting twist, but on the whole too light for me unless I am feeling low.

tinaf1 Sun 29-Nov-15 19:22:16

Posted earlier about book I was reading Sunday Dinner was really enjoying it the got to the end today and it all got bit twee and mushy so bit disappointed

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion