Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading now?

(1000 Posts)
loopylou Sun 22-Nov-15 20:09:17

Thanks are due to the lovely GNs who, some months ago, suggested books that might rekindle my love of reading.
I'm hooked on CJ Sansom's Shardlake series, utterly engrossing.
I'm really surprised just how much I'm enjoying reading historical 'Whodunit', probably the last thing I'd have chosen a few months ago.

Charleygirl Sun 22-Nov-15 20:20:38

I love the Rebus series written by Ian Rankin. With my memory, I cannot remember books that I read ages ago so I am enjoying Mortal Causes by him. It is based in Edinburgh and I spent 2 years training there so I am familiar with the locations.

loopylou Sun 22-Nov-15 20:32:28

I believe you can do a Rankin tour around Edinburgh Charleygirl, that visits places described in his books (DH, DD and I also love his books too)

annodomini Sun 22-Nov-15 20:48:18

I pre-ordered the newest Rankin - 'Even Dogs in the Wild' - and read it as soon as it came out. Enjoyed it thoroughly and relieved to find Rebus still in action. Recommended.

numberplease Sun 22-Nov-15 20:57:03

That`s a coincidence Loopylou, I`m reading the latest Matthew Shardlake book, Lamentation, right now! I`ve read them all and loved them, they give a great insight into 16th century living. Sadly, I read an interview with C.J.Sansom a while back, and he reckoned that the next one (this one) would probably be the last, as he`d only intended to cover the years of Henry V111th`s reign.

Charleygirl Sun 22-Nov-15 21:01:20

Yes, loopylou I have read about the walks around Edinburgh but my days of walking more than 200 yards are over and I now live in London!

loopylou Sun 22-Nov-15 21:13:02

I ordered the whole set number, before I'd even finished the first one, 'Dissolution'.

Oh dear that's really hard Charleygirl, I do commiserate. I'm just as far from Edinburgh too, but would love to go back there sometime so maybe one day...

Leticia Sun 22-Nov-15 21:14:27

A Place Called Winter- Patrick Gale
Dissolution is on my pile.

mollie Sun 22-Nov-15 21:20:23

I lived all the Shardlake series and am waiting for my turn with the local library's copy of the Rebus. Wasn't overly keen on the last Patrick Gale although I loved all his previous novels.

I'm reading the last in a marathon run of the Merrily Watkins stories written by Phil Rickman. Inspired by the recent TV version of his second story I read the first and haven't stopped. I liked them all except one that I abandoned. I will miss Merrily, Jane, Lol, Homer and Frannie when I close this one ... But a new one is due out soon!

numberplease Sun 22-Nov-15 23:38:17

I watched the recent Merrily Watkins serial on TV, but to be honest it didn`t tempt me to read the books.
I like James Patterson`s books, particularly the Alex Cross ones, also Karen Rose and Karin Slaughter (what a great name for a thriller writer!) After years of reading nothing but thrillers, I`ve developed a taste for novels based around WW1 and WW2, by people like Katie Flynn, Annie Murray and Nadine Dorries, amongst a goodly few. I`ve just finished one such book, Dilly`s Sacrifice, by Rosie Goodwin, it goes from 1900 to 1919, and was very good, it`s the fist of a trilogy, so I`ll be looking for the others as they come out.

Cher53 Sun 22-Nov-15 23:59:04

I am currently reading 'Dead in the Family' by Charlaine Harris. The 10th book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, I have been reading these over the Summer and Autumn. If anyone ever watched True Blood on television. These are the books based on that series. They are also known as The Southern Vampire Mysteries. I loved the television series and a friend recommended the books. Although written with a younger readership in mind (18-24 yr olds), I have to say I am enjoying them as some pure escapism and I think the books are actually better than the tv series.

JamJar1 Mon 23-Nov-15 00:34:48

About to start A Spool of Blue Thread, Anne Tyler.

mollie Mon 23-Nov-15 07:46:27

I liked the Anne Taylor too, never heard of Skokie Stack house though.

The TV version of the Merrily Watkins novel was a total mishmash of the original and I only watched some of the series. The books are better but the subject matter (crime, religion and exorcism) might not appeal to many. Great characters though.

TerriBull Mon 23-Nov-15 11:55:40

Career of Evil - by Robert Galbraith aka J K Rowling, third in the series she has now established herself as a great crime writer.

mollie Mon 23-Nov-15 12:52:44

Totally agree. Some people have too much talent! Lol!

numberplease Sat 28-Nov-15 00:36:38

I`m loving Lamentation, nearly at the end now, I do hope it isn`t going to be the last we hear of Master Shardlake and Jack Barak.

Teetime Sat 28-Nov-15 08:22:29

I'd love to tell you its something erudite but I am stuck in the middle of an Agatha Raisin obsession- good fun though if you want a light read and there are plenty of them.

Greyduster Sat 28-Nov-15 09:06:11

Miss Carter's war by Sheila Hancock. I didn't think I'd get past the first few pages, but I am quite enjoying it, despite its idealistic overtones. Next will be Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine, which is waiting for me at the library.

Alima Sat 28-Nov-15 14:34:20

Time and Time Again by Ben Elton. Finding it really interesting as well as a gripping read.

MargaretX Sat 28-Nov-15 16:03:30

on Kindle: Wuthering Heights, I have copy at home but the print is so tiny and I've downloaded it for nothing and am enjoying it. Its the third time reading for me.

thatbags Sat 28-Nov-15 16:21:53

Cadfael Country: Shropshire and the Welsh Border by Rob Talbot & Robin Whiteman.

Stansgran Sat 28-Nov-15 19:33:02

I've got the last Terry Pratchet on kindle but I don't want to read it as there will be no more.

jogginggirl Sat 28-Nov-15 20:16:52

Currently reading The Girls by Lisa Jewell - a slow start but getting into it a bit more now hmm
Not my usual read but I'm always happy to go with a different recommendation ... wink

tinaf1 Sat 28-Nov-15 20:30:21

Sunday Dinners by Jon Rance on my kindle really enjoying it

Claudiaclaws Sat 28-Nov-15 22:19:39

Margaret, are you not able to increase the size of print on your Kindle?
I can on mine, and it really makes a big difference.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion