Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Crime books

(177 Posts)
Anya Mon 16-Jan-17 08:31:54

Just been reading through the wonderful thread called 'What are you reading now' which is where I go to find my next read, but....it's getting rather long!

So thought I'd start one where crime books could be specifically recommended.

I've just finished the series of (5) by Tana French set in Dublin. Each book picks out a character from the previous one and builds a story around him or her.

I've read all the Shetland series, Vera, Ella Griffiths, a series set in Brighton, one in Cambridge. So any recommendations please? I love it when I discover a 'new' author.

MargaretX Sat 11-Feb-17 15:43:46

I'm sorry if I'm mentioning someone who has aleady been mentioned but my favourite is Peter Lovesy. He created the detctive Peter Diamond, although he has written many others. My favourite is 'The Reaper'about a bogus vicar.

annodomini Sat 11-Feb-17 16:32:07

Thanks MargaretX, I've been looking for a new author, so I will immediately look for this one!

TerriBull Sat 11-Feb-17 17:40:39

Like Alima a couple of posts back I have also just started Andrew Taylor's The Scent of Death, I have read a couple of his books previously, The American Boy and Bleeding Heart Square, both historical crime, may also buy Ashes of London. Andrew Taylor writes very well.

callgirl1 Sat 11-Feb-17 17:47:14

I`ve just finished The Last Mile, by David Baldacci, it was very good, the 2nd in the Amos Decker series, the 1st being Memory Man.

Katek Sat 11-Feb-17 19:27:12

Haven't read whole thread but has anyone suggested Stuart Macbride's Logan Macrae series? If you're looking for something a bit different try Lindsey Davis' Falco.

callgirl1 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:10:20

I`ve read most of the Logan Macrae books, just bought the latest. His inspector is a fearsome, rather unwholesome, woman though.

mumofmadboys Sun 12-Feb-17 08:29:16

I agree with gran5up the Susan Hill series about Simon Serallier are excellent. I think there are eight in the series and best read in order. I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if repeating someone!

Anya Sun 12-Feb-17 08:58:32

Different tastes I know, as I didn't enjoy the Simon Serallier books though I read them all. This was because he didn't do much real detecting IMO. I like books where all lines of enquiry are thought of and followed up.

TerriBull Sun 12-Feb-17 10:27:14

I liked the first Simon Serallier book The Various Haunts of Men, and have read a few since but none of them seemed to me to be as good as that one. I feel the same about Elizabeth George, really loved one of her books, This Body of Death, and have read a couple of others but they didn't grab me in the same way.

eGJ Fri 17-Feb-17 13:58:42

Just finished Corpus by Rory Clements. His other books are set in Elizabethan times with John Shakespeare as a private detective. Those are very good, but this new one set in 1936 is a page turner. I only got it on Wednesday and have galloped through! Set in Cambridge, Germany and concerning the British right wing fascists, the Abdication, murders and a "right good read"! The period background is well researched and it goes at a rollicking pace. He has another in the pipeline.....can't wait!

Alima Fri 17-Feb-17 16:40:27

I have really gone to town on Steven Dunne books since discovering his detective works in my childhood home town. I have just finished The Unquiet Grave, some of it set in the village I grew up in. Loved the book, like the lead character, it is well written and un-put-downable. Requested his others from the library and currently reading The Reaper which is the first in the series. I am going to be on such a downer when I finish the last one!

Airiol7 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:09:32

Marvellous! So glad I strayed into this category. I agree with those who dislike the violence and unnecessary gore. Yes, I think it is about unravelling a knotty problem and pitting your wits against false trails. Someone was right when they named them "whodunnits". Thanks to all contributors, stacks to read now (smile).

Tricia1951 Sun 12-Mar-17 10:41:49

I've read all the 'Roy Grace' books by Peter James and set in Brighton/Hove.

Anya Sun 12-Mar-17 11:01:24

Loved those too Tricia. Just reading no 4 of of the DCI Karen Pirie books by Val McDermid.

grannylyn65 Sun 12-Mar-17 11:59:38

Louise Penny, brilliant series set in Montreal

callgirl1 Sun 12-Mar-17 18:30:34

I`ve just finished, and enjoyed, Love You Dead, by Peter James.

Iam64 Mon 13-Mar-17 18:31:03

I enjoyed Love you Dead as well callgirl1. I'm reading a Tess Gerritson currently, they are easy reads, lots of twists and turns and well written.
I've also read the latest Val McDermid which is less gruesome than many of her recent books. It's good.

junesmith11 Fri 19-May-17 19:28:36

Philp Rickman very good all of the Merrily Warkins series a bit different quirky

Alima Fri 19-May-17 20:48:29

Currently reading a book I had for my birthday, Ragdoll by Daniel Cole. It has a comic twist to it and I am enjoying it more the more I read. Will definitely read the next in the series when it is written.

Craftycat Mon 05-Jun-17 13:30:38

The 3 Robert Galbraith books- actually J K Rowling in disguise.
Terrific reads with a great human interest story running though them . Can't wait for book 4!

Nannylovesshopping Mon 05-Jun-17 14:10:32

Just finished ragdoll alima I also loved it

annsixty Mon 05-Jun-17 14:26:54

I am reading a series BT Robert Richardson about a writer Augustus Maltravers and his actress girl friend. The descriptions are very good.
There is no gratuitous violence.

Nandalot Mon 05-Jun-17 20:29:47

Lots of familiar favourites on here, but some new ones to try. Yum. At the moment I am trying out a few new names which I am really enjoying. (Been on hols so loaded up Kindle and had a good read-in). Can recommend Elly Griffiths and her Ruth Galloway series, Anne Coates and her Hannah Weybridge novels and for Scandi Noir fans, Ragnar Jonasson's Dark Iceland series. As well as The Girl on the Train, I really enjoyed Girl on a Train. Different books as someone else mentioned. Also my holiday was a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords so I read The Woman in Cabin 10 which took place on a small, luxury cruise ship in the Fjords.

BBbevan Mon 05-Jun-17 21:10:15

Peter Robinson hasn't been mentioned I don't like American writers so am running out of New reads. I also like Elizabeth George.

Alima Mon 05-Jun-17 21:15:48

Peter Robinson's latest, When the Music's Over, is very recently out in paperback. Will be starting it when I have finished Val McDermid's latest.