Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Crime books

(177 Posts)
Anya Mon 16-Jan-17 08:31:54

Just been reading through the wonderful thread called 'What are you reading now' which is where I go to find my next read, but....it's getting rather long!

So thought I'd start one where crime books could be specifically recommended.

I've just finished the series of (5) by Tana French set in Dublin. Each book picks out a character from the previous one and builds a story around him or her.

I've read all the Shetland series, Vera, Ella Griffiths, a series set in Brighton, one in Cambridge. So any recommendations please? I love it when I discover a 'new' author.

Chewbacca Mon 05-Jun-17 21:29:39

The Barbara Nadel crime novels, set in Turkey, are a good read, especially if you've visited the country. Cetin Ikmen, the detective, is a bit of a Colombo character. Also enjoy the Donna Leon books which are set in Venice.

LAINEANN Mon 05-Jun-17 23:09:14

I am finding some french authors translated to English are good.
Michel Bussi, After the Crash
Bernard Minier, The Frozen Dead
Fred Vargas - loads of them
Also
Martin Walker, Bruno Chief of Police series, set in Dordogne
Rachel Abbott

Auntieflo Tue 06-Jun-17 11:36:33

I picked up a Robert Galbraith book from a charity shop, and found out that it is a pseudonym of JK Rowling. It's started out to be quite promising, but so far I've only read three chapters.

Nandalot Fri 09-Jun-17 13:42:33

Just found out that one of the authors I mentioned, Anne Coates, has a kindle book on Amazon for free this weekend.: 'Silent Judgement'.

Alima Fri 09-Jun-17 14:16:48

The Cameron Strike books by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling)are due to be shown as a series of 7 starting in August on the BBC. (I cannot remember the name of the actor playing Strike but that doesn't mean much).

Auntieflo Sat 10-Jun-17 08:19:28

Alima , thanks for that, I'll look out for it, if I remember

devongirl Thu 15-Jun-17 15:47:00

For 'gentler' crime novels I can thoroughly reccommend the Simon Serailler novels by Susan Hill.

starbird Thu 15-Jun-17 16:08:35

Chewbacca yes I've read all the Inkmen books, love them all, it gives you a picture of day to day life in Turkey for ordinary people as well as a glimpse of Istanbul. I love all the different characters too. If only the books were to be televised or made inro films - they'd beat the Inspector Linley and Vera series. Who would play the handsome Suleymsn?

devongirl Thu 15-Jun-17 16:49:23

Love the Montalbano books (Andrea Camilleri) and those by Donna Leon, set in Sicily and Venice.

Chewbacca Thu 15-Jun-17 16:59:55

Ooh! starbird that's a good idea! What a beautiful film the Barbara Nadel books could create, such gorgeous scenery in Turkey. Well, for Suleymann, how about Dev Patel? Looks good and can act!

starbird Fri 16-Jun-17 16:03:03

Dev Patel might do, though maybe a bit young, I'm thinking midfle aged, with a history, descended from an Ottoman Prince, used to money, swoon inducingly handsome .....

Not any of these about!

callgirl1 Fri 16-Jun-17 20:59:16

How about Art Malik?

Chewbacca Fri 16-Jun-17 22:35:52

Ooh yes, Arthur Malins is a good suggestion. Tall, dark, handsome and suave! Like it. Now, who for Ikmen?

Chewbacca Fri 16-Jun-17 22:36:40

Arthur Malins? Who the heck is he? Art Malik for goodness sake!

starbird Sat 17-Jun-17 11:14:25

Robson Green might do for Ikmen.

Art Malik 20 yrs ago would have been great (or Omar Sharif even longer ago!)

starbird Sat 17-Jun-17 17:51:23

Robson Green would make a good Ikmen

Chewbacca Sat 17-Jun-17 18:05:52

He would starbird , agreed! Would be great if they'd make the film! The Donna Leon books, set in Venice would be great too, don't you think?

starbird Mon 19-Jun-17 15:44:14

I have yet to read Donna Leon but have added them to my list.

Not much chance of filming Ikmen because he is sometimes political and the new President, Erdogan, is very sensitive. There was a very fascinating recent two part programme on Turkey by Simon Reeve, and it seems that tv prograzmmes are under scrutiny to make sure they are not subversive. Ikmen would not stand a chance! I can't wait for the next book.....

devongirl Mon 19-Jun-17 16:09:40

Also enjoying Arnaldur Indridason (Iceland)

Nandalot Mon 19-Jun-17 16:45:48

At the moment reading 'Snowblind' by Ragnar Jonasson. Dark Iceland series I think. Lovely snowy, cold landscape to cool me down! I wish!

Anya Sun 03-Sep-17 08:06:09

I see I started this thread last January and since then I've taken up many suggestions, too many to thank people individually. Found some great authors, worked my way through all their books and then had that feeling we all get when you've finished their latest book and there are no more to read in that series.

Just about to read my first in the Inspector Gamache mysteries. Hoping this will be one of those mentioned above.

Great suggestions so far. Thank you ??

Mamie Sun 03-Sep-17 08:29:38

I love anything by Peter May. The Enzo Macleod books are set in France and there is another series set in China. He is a good writer, with a real sense of place.

annsixty Sun 03-Sep-17 09:28:30

I have just read, (for free on kindle unlimited) 6 books by Peter Grainger featuring Ds Smith. I enjoyed the stories and particularly the writing. I have no idea how accurate they are in following police procedure.
I know of course I didn't read them for free as kindle unlimited costs £7.99 a month but I certainly get my money's worth.

eGJ Fri 08-Sep-17 12:30:55

So glad you are starting on Louise Penny's books Anya. Do read them in order as she cleverly develops Inspector Gamache and all the characters in Three Pines. Just reading the latest -Glass Houses- and they get better and better. I am drinking a huge cup of coffee from my Gamache mug a Canadian friend gave me, so you and see I am a immersed in the series. I started again from the first book last month as I rather rush the books for the story, but now appreciate the detailed descriptions.. enjoy them Anya and anyone else giving them a try!

annodomini Fri 08-Sep-17 13:10:33

Yes to Inspector Gamache. I have just finished Glass Houses and found it just as intriguing as all its predecessors. And there just has to be a sequel!
Another writer I 'discovered' this summer is Martin Walker who used to be the Guardian correspondent in Washington but now lives in France and writes books featuring the local [police chief, Bruno and a cast of colourful characters. The first book is Death in the Dordogne. You get a real feel for the small French town and its pursuits from these books.