Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading now 2

(450 Posts)
MargaretX Mon 12-Jun-17 15:02:44

I'm looking for books to read or download onto my Kindle
I've just finished The Co op's got Bananas by Hunter Davies and its hard to follow it!
And so sad that Margaret Forster has died last year. I will read all her books including non fiction again sometime.

Imperfect27 Wed 05-Jul-17 15:40:10

Whoops - shows I have been away for too long! I thought my last post would be added under the comment from SueDonim about 'Great Small Things' by Jodi Picoult - a great read smile.

Grannyknot Thu 06-Jul-17 07:51:42

Just finished reading "The Postcard" by Fern Britton. This is the first book I have read be her and it was an enjoyable, light summer read. (She's a better writer than another TV-presenter-turned-author who uses Cornwall as a setting for her books). The various characters in the village are just well-drawn enough to want to find out more about them - and I shall be keeping an eye out for "further adventures of..." as it felt as if the scene was set for a follow-up.

(As an aside, I was disappointed not to be a lucky recipient of the Graham Norton book "Holding" so shall scuttle off now to Kindle and see whether it is still on offer, thanks for the tip!)

bikergran Thu 06-Jul-17 08:19:27

" Behind closed doors" I have not read a book for many yrs. seem not to be able to concentrate on anything these days..but went to my mums caravan and she passed me this book...really enjoyed it and has spurred me on to try and find another that I can easily get in to. smile

shysal Thu 06-Jul-17 08:33:28

My DD has been passing on her Liane Moriarty books, which I am enjoying. At the moment I am 3/4 way through 'What Alice Forgot', which has me wanting to hurry to find out what happens. She is an Australian author with two sisters who also write fiction.

annsixty Thu 06-Jul-17 08:57:19

I have only just got round to reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and am really enjoying it. A friend asked me if I had read the next two in the trilogy and couldn't believe I hadn't read any of them. I didn't think they were my kind of book. I was very wrong.

willsmadnan Thu 06-Jul-17 10:15:06

Like a couple of previous posters I'm reading Jodi Picoult's Small Great Things. The portrayal of white supremacists in the US is chilling..... not just their attitude to anyone with a darker skin than them but the LGT community as well.
The previous JP book I read concerned the problem of who has ownership of frozen embryos. That was an eye opener too.

devongirl Thu 06-Jul-17 10:20:02

My library service website has a list of book awards including Richard and Judy, Costa prize et6c. and is very good for getting ideas - give it a try smile

henetha Thu 06-Jul-17 10:20:23

The Summer House Party by Caro Fraser.
All her books are good, and usually set in the world of law courts. This one is different, set around the start of WW2 and is equally good in it's own way.

henetha Thu 06-Jul-17 10:24:37

P.S I'm reading it on my Kindle. It was on special offer on Amazon recently.

callgirl1 Thu 06-Jul-17 15:27:15

Annsixty, I read the trilogy a couple of years ago, and loved them, but I can`t bring myself to read the latest one, mainly because it`s not by the same author, who died, and I just can`t imagine it being as good.

devongirl Thu 06-Jul-17 15:40:25

I agree completely callgirl1.

I also enjoyed all the Wallander books by Henning Mankell, especially the last one which was really sad but a chilling description of the descent into Alzheimer's.

Floradora9 Thu 06-Jul-17 18:47:37

Just finished Once Upon a Time In the East by Xiaolu Guo . I love books about China but this one was just so interesting all about her first years in real poverty and how she reinvented herself to become a prize winning writer and in English.

Jane10 Thu 06-Jul-17 19:00:28

Some great suggestions here. Just what I was wanting!
I loved 'A man called Ore' and 'Britt Marie was here' by Frederick Backman (I think!)
Wonderful stories about unusual and very likeable people.

granfromafar Thu 20-Jul-17 21:45:45

Have just read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - I'm sure it's been mentioned before so have discovered it quite late. It's a 'must read'. Also anything by Rose Tremain - recentlty read 'The Road Home' which was excellent.

trisher Thu 20-Jul-17 22:18:16

Oh do read A Thousand Splendid Suns as well granfromafar it's one of the most moving books ever and even better than the Kite Runner in my opinion.

whitewave Thu 20-Jul-17 22:21:58

I second that trisher I found it so powerful I couldn't read it twice which does seem odd but I know what is coming and can't bear it!!!

Primrose65 Thu 20-Jul-17 22:27:43

I've recently read "The Power" by Naomi Alderman and I really enjoyed it. It's a dystopian science fiction novel, but don't let that put you off. The premise is that women develop the ability to release electrical jolts from their fingers (they have 'the power') and they end up being the dominant gender. Makes a great gift for husbands and sons too!grin

Iam64 Thu 20-Jul-17 22:47:30

I loved The Road Home and agree, Rose Tremaine is so good.
I couldn't finish The Kite Runner, a great book but too close to my work when I was reading it.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Jul-17 23:41:55

I must look out for some more of Rose Tremain's books; I read The Colour and enjoyed it.

I get a lot of books passed on, some quite old. At the moment I am reading Timeline by Michael Crichton, another one which is a few years old.

kellyon Tue 25-Jul-17 11:00:54

currently I'm reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
amazing book about India

Jane10 Tue 25-Jul-17 11:07:44

Am currently hoovering up Laurie Grahams complete oeuvre. Wowee she's good. So funny. Such a good writer! I checked her out after a tweet from Marion Keyes saying that the reading public should be carrying her shoulder high through the streets. I now agree.

callgirl1 Tue 25-Jul-17 17:29:47

I`ve just finished a lovely story, An Orphan`s Secret, by Maggie Hope, loved it. Am now reading Dead to Me, by Lesley Pearse, starts in London in 1935, is now in 1940, liking it so far.
I concur regarding A Thousand Splendid Sons, liked Kite Runner, but Suns was so much better. I didn`t go in the shop to buy it, was buying another 2 books, but as I was spending over £10 I was offered it at half price, so bought it, and was SO glad that I did!

TerriBull Thu 27-Jul-17 12:04:58

I've just started "The Hare with Amber Eyes", languishing on my book shelf for a couple of years with the intention of to read at some time in the future. Those I know who read it a while back tell me it's very good.

devongirl Thu 27-Jul-17 12:53:04

I'm reading and really enjoying 'Elizabeth is Missing'.

Auntieflo Thu 27-Jul-17 13:45:04

"LIfe, Death and Vanilla Slices" by Jenny Eclair. Enjoyed it, but didn't like the ending much.