Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What time of day do you read.

(91 Posts)
gmelon Tue 20-Feb-18 16:12:25

The traditional "couple of chapters in bed" or do you have a favourite , set aside time to read?
What do you eat while you are reading?

When do you read?
Is it something you just can't wait to get back to?

We all seem to have lots to do including the general housework and chores and of course there are those who have jobs.

A book sits there calling out to me waiting to reveal its next twist.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 21-Feb-18 13:09:46

Any time I have a tea or coffee moment on goes my kindle. Can't read in bed as it sends me off to sleep so gave up on that.

starlily106 Wed 21-Feb-18 13:15:06

Usually in bed at night, but if it's a book that I can't put down then it's anytime until it's finished

grandtanteJE65 Wed 21-Feb-18 15:05:16

I don't read in cars or buses because doing so makes me travel-sick, but I can and do read in trains and on board ships because there I am never travel-sick.

Being a compulsive reader, heavily addicted since age 5½ when I mastered the art, I read anywhere and everywhere else. I usually have at least two books on the go in one of four languages.

BRedhead59 Wed 21-Feb-18 15:08:14

I can only read first thing in the morning and I do that every day for about an hour (ish) any other time and I fall asleep! unless on holiday for some reason??
I drink my morning tea whilst reading.

MaryXYX Wed 21-Feb-18 15:11:08

I receive several monthly magazines, and I read them on the bus. I spend 20 to 30 minutes each way on a bus several times a week. I read a couple of chapters of my Bible at bedtime, and a chapter of another book once a week when I have to remain still for 20 minutes or so for a medical reason.

shysal Wed 21-Feb-18 15:15:57

For some reason I feel guilty reading or watching TV during the daytime. However, I read for at least an hour each morning while soaking in the bath. I am always up at 5am so it fills the time until I go for my usual walk. By then it is a reasonable hour to make noise which my attached neighbour might hear (all the floorboards creak!).

Sheilasue Wed 21-Feb-18 15:19:50

I read at bedtime and often late afternoon.

TerriBull Wed 21-Feb-18 15:44:45

First thing in the morning before I get out of bed and last thing at night before I go to sleep, sometimes I drop off whilst reading and drop the book down the side of the bed. During the day, depending on how much I'm enjoying the book. In the summertime I like reading outside, in the garden, around the swimming pool, (not my own personal pool) and on holiday.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 21-Feb-18 16:26:34

I read in the evening if the telly isn't very interesting and always for a while at bedtime unless I'm really too tired. I'd rather read than do housework and if I've got a rattling good yarn on the go I'm afraid that chores take second place (unless I'm feeling particularly industrious and get things done first thing).

Tessa101 Wed 21-Feb-18 16:41:31

I always read in bed last thing at night, helps clear my head.

EllieRose43 Wed 21-Feb-18 18:44:52

My Kindle in bed at night, while waiting at the doctor's, when flying/travelling for long periods. I always felt guilty about reading during the day when there's housework to be done but I'm getting over that now smile! I read stuff on my tablet at odd times through the day and enjoy sitting out in the sun with a magazine and a coffee occasionally. I was a real bookworm as a (only) child and it's still one of my favourite things to do.

RetiredRuth Wed 21-Feb-18 18:59:45

At weekends I read more during the day and so I can get through a whole book between Friday and Sunday, but during the week I take my time and read a few chapters each evening.

I can't read outdoors or when travelling so mostly I read in the evenings. I don't have a TV and much prefer books to films on DVD or downloads.

Funnygran Wed 21-Feb-18 19:23:25

I read wherever and whenever and like a couple of people have said I can’t imagine not having a book on the go. Luckily DD is the same and we have much the same taste so swap books. She works in a doctor’s surgery and staff and patients drop books off into a charity box for others to pick up at 20p a read. Bliss for me! When my children were younger I belonged to a babysitting circle and I used to be fascinated by a couple of houses where there wasn’t a single book or magazine anywhere to pick up. And at nearly 70 I never feel guilty about a bit of me time with my book.

coast35 Wed 21-Feb-18 19:52:36

My mum was the same Jane10. Always chasing me out to the garden. I read a lot to my two children. My son grew up an avid reader and my daughter prefers magazines and papers. My son in law reads a lot and has always read 2/3 stories a night to my grandson. I taught him to read when he was 4. Now Daddy reads one story and Calum reads a book for as long as they’ll let him. It’s very rewarding to see his delight in reading.

Millie8 Wed 21-Feb-18 20:16:18

I love reading in the bath but tend to fall asleep. Have ruined a good few books and a kindle by dunking them when I drop off. Now I have a rack across the bath to keep them safe!

Shizam Wed 21-Feb-18 20:53:59

On the tube. And in the loo!

Eloethan Wed 21-Feb-18 21:45:57

I read the newspaper for about half an hour each morning after I've taken the dog out. I nearly always read a book on my weekly 1 hour each way train journey and on my weekly 30 minutes each way tube journey. Otherwise, it's when I go to bed but usually I go to bed later than intended and then feel too tired to read.

I read on plane journeys and used to read on the beach but we rarely have beach holidays now.

I tend to find current novels much less unputdownable than I used to and sometimes go back to old favourites.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Feb-18 22:30:22

I found myself reading the GN Book of the Month until 2 in the morning because I had to finish it!

Legs55 Wed 21-Feb-18 23:11:55

I read a book when I go to bed, at least half an hour but often longer, I don't have a Kindle or iPad. I remember reading by torchlight under the covers as a child, I always had my nose in a book.

I have my newspaper delivered (shop is too far away for me to walk), 1 Newspaper Monday to Friday, 2 papers on Saturday & 3 Sunday. My papers are there before I get up so I read them when I have my Breakfast, Sunday it can take me most of the day with breaks to read my papers & do crosswords/sudoku.

I also read Magazines during the day, rarely do I pick a book unless I'm on Holiday, I usually take 6/7 books for a week (I travel by car) as I'm like a "bear with a sore head" if I've nothing to read.

I buy my DGSs books for Birthday/Christmas & DD & her OH read to DGS1 from being tiny & will do the same with DGS2 when he old enough.

I also read magazines during the day, I have quite a busy life so Magazines can sit around for a couple of months before I read them. As for which is more important books or housework, books win everytime, gardening however is a different matterhmm

newnanny Thu 22-Feb-18 13:39:16

I used to read in bed before I slept but now since early retirement I have luxury of reading in morning or afternoon if I wish so less reading in bed.

goldengirl Thu 22-Feb-18 15:48:40

I read mostly in the evenings and before I go to sleep. Books and the newspaper - and even the Cornflake packet if there's nothing else around grin. Reading is my favourite activity

Floradora9 Thu 22-Feb-18 17:58:20

What magazines do you magazines readers read ? I cannot ever see one I would enjoy reading . Give me a book any day .

Urmstongran Thu 22-Feb-18 18:41:58

Me too Floradora9 ! Maybe I’m too old (or just not bothered) but I don’t know many/hardly any of the ‘celebrities’! If I ever buy a magazine it’s ‘Psychologies’ but even that depends on what’s inside as it’s expensive.

shysal Fri 23-Feb-18 09:16:34

Never buy magazines, but my favourite publications are the Screwfix catalogue (all those neat packs of nails and screws! blush) and the Lakeland one.

adaunas Mon 26-Feb-18 10:18:56

Whenever I can, usually on my kindle or phone. Reading in bed stops me worrying about insomnia. I used to lie awake for ages, but a few pages of a familiar book and I’m asleep again. Audio books are a great idea for driving or housework and ironing. I’ve listened to endless Georgette Heyer.