Gransnet forums

Books/book club

50 Books a Year thread - Anyone interested???

(44 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 28-Dec-18 10:54:21

Dear fellow GN reading enthusiasts, any of you that have wandered over to MN may be aware of the above named subject as on ongoing and continuous thread. The reading threads on GN have dwindled of late, although they resurface from time to time. The 50 Book Challenge is a good book thread on MN that continues throughout the year, a sort of "Soops Kitchen" for book lovers. It doesn't have to have a competitive edge, it's more about the personal challenge. It's also a good way to exchange views on what we are currently reading. Those that post on this thread up date their lists every so often, some will post lengthy reviews, some just post where their list is at any given time and what they've read. There aren't any hard and fast rules. MN book threads have given me some of my very best reads from favoured books....and the worsthmm However it's good to let other reading enthusiasts know when you discover one of those special books that have really moved you. My best read this year was undoubtedly "The Heart's Invisible Furies" and it seems that book has resonated with many on MN and GN.

50 books could be considered quite a number, I'm amazed just how voracious some of the readers are on MN exceeding that number by many....A demographic slightly different from us lot, maybe still in the throes of parenting and working, and I'm possibly, thinking that they may have less time shock Taking individual time constraints into consideration if 50 books is a daunting number also following in the footsteps of MN, their recent addition of a 25 books a year thread could also be incorporated too.

The New Year is approaching fast and that would be the logical time to start such on ongoing thread, so it's over to any of you who may be interested.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 28-Dec-18 11:05:47

I am usually an avid reader, unfortunately I have lost "the urge".

I hope to get back on track in 2019.

TerriBull Fri 28-Dec-18 11:13:32

Yes me too GG, I'm a bit all read out at the moment but would like to pick it up again in 2019.

Greyduster Fri 28-Dec-18 11:19:36

I’m an avid reader, but doubt if I would be able to, or have the time to, read fifty books in a year. I will start and keep a tally in the new year though and see how many I actually do manage to read, and if this thread gets going, I will hope to contribute to it.

Bathsheba Fri 28-Dec-18 11:29:21

I'm a regular reader, but my 'avidity' (is there such a word? grin) fluctuates wildly. I can go for months devouring books voraciously and then it all slows down to the point where it can take me 3-4 weeks to finish just one book shock.
I don't think I'm anywhere near a 50 a year reader, but this idea interests me, and I think I will start to keep a record of what I read in the New Year, contributing to this thread if it continues.
(off to MN now to have a look at the thread on there!)

callgirl1 Fri 28-Dec-18 11:40:13

I read quite a lot, usually about 3 books a week, so 50 isn`t that much of a challenge. You`ll gather from that that housework suffers a bit, lol!

Floradora9 Fri 28-Dec-18 11:42:22

I read over 200 books a year , books from the library Kindle Unlimited books and the odd one I buy . I cannot live without a book to read .I did keep a tally one year but the library site can tell me how many I have had from them which is not acurate as I order books from them in DH's name as we are restricted to 12 requests at a time .

Lisagran Fri 28-Dec-18 11:49:10

I’d be up for that! Love reading - and have books passed on to me by eldest daughter - latest pile here! She reads in the middle of the night because of insomnia, so some of her choices are page turners / not very challenging. My favourite this year was also The Heart’s invisible Furies. Also loved The Miniaturist.

sodapop Fri 28-Dec-18 11:58:51

I read many books in the course of a year. Probably far exceeds 50 but not up to 200.
I couldn't sleep last night so I read a complete paperback. It's beginning to be an expensive hobby as I don't like reading on a Kindle. Postage to France steps up the cost. Thank goodness I volunteer in a local library so have access to more books.

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Dec-18 12:12:55

Yes, me, me, I'm in! I did do this challenge twice (just for myself) a few years ago. I always make a note on my phone of books I've read over a year, just their titles, authors, and a mark out of 10, so that I can recommend them to others and stop myself buying books I've already read (it happened!). I've been down to 36 and 38 books in 2017 and 2018, so need to up my game.

Of course, reading more books will mean I have to cut down my time on the internet, including GN.... tchblush

nanaK54 Fri 28-Dec-18 12:26:09

Yes I'm interested, although I doubt that I will get anywhere near 50 books in a year
Off now to order 'The Hearts Invisible Furies' for my kindle smile

nanaK54 Fri 28-Dec-18 12:27:51

Oh forgot to say that I am currently reading 'You Let me In' by Lucy Clark

Stansgran Fri 28-Dec-18 12:32:21

I've often copied a Mumsnet list in the challenge to help me find something to read. They can be very helpful when at a reading standstill. I can easily read a book a week but I do read dross. Usually go for 99p cheap read on Kindle and have occasionally been embarrassed by what I'm reading and quickly delete. At the moment it's a really awful book about a woman wh hoards and then reforms just like that. It's only an evening read but still feel I've wasted a few hours. But I can rarely leave a book unfinished.

Freesialover Fri 28-Dec-18 12:34:13

Can I join in? I have to agree about the Heart’s Invisible Furirs being my best read of 2018.

Freesialover Fri 28-Dec-18 12:34:38

Or furies even ?

megan123 Fri 28-Dec-18 12:36:20

Yes, I would be interested. Not sure about 50 a year, but I do read lots of books.

seacliff Fri 28-Dec-18 12:38:20

I am interested too please. I have just joined Kindle Unlimited for £1.99 for 3 months, I then immediately cancelled so no more payments will be taken after the 3 months. I am reading Joy Ellis books set in the Fens - most are free on Kindle Unlimited.

Sar53 Fri 28-Dec-18 12:40:16

I would love to join in. I've always got a book on the go and a pile more to read. I can easily read a book a week and a two week holiday will see me finish at least six on my Kindle. I must have a look at MN and see what people are reading there.

blossom14 Fri 28-Dec-18 12:52:16

No problem for me to get through 50 books a year. I must admit I delete lots of the free/99p downloads on my kindle if they don't hold my interest after the first few chapters. Have also found some surprising little gems.
I was a fast reader at one time but find I have slowed down a bit now that I am in my late 70's. It does make the sleeplessness in the early hours bearable.
Will go over and have a look at MN to see recommendations and join in here.

GillT57 Fri 28-Dec-18 13:31:03

Count me in too. The Heart's Invisible Furies was the best book I have read in many a year. I shall keep a list in the back of my nice new diary of what I read and give them mini reviews. Thanks for starting this, what a great idea. x

Sarahmob Fri 28-Dec-18 13:46:32

I’ve set myself a reading challenge (goodreads) for the last few years. I’m really chuffed that this year I met my target of 100 (finished it last night). I’d join in with this challenge. I loved The Hearts Invisible Furies too, but my favourite this year has been The Lido.

TerriBull Fri 28-Dec-18 13:47:37

I'm back from the sales horrible! reading a book is better smile

The title is a bit daunting I know, don't be put off though it's not about number shaming, I just thought it would be a good idea for an ongoing thread about books, how many and how often you read is immaterial, just post what you've read from time to time, and if you feel so inclined, a review, maybe for something that really grabbed you or alternatively a book that you've found mind numbingly awful shockI think we've all been there and it's always good to warn others, although of course opinions will differ. That will be allowed too grin We can start the thread proper on the 1st Jan with whatever you are currently reading or with a new book if that applies. All are welcome and anyone can join in if they haven't been with the thread from its inception. Maybe as it progresses it will gain momentum as I think it did on MN. I do appreciate that some read in fits and starts, that doesn't really matter either. At the end of the year posters compile their list in full with their besties in bold and their dire reads in italics. I've been keeping my list on my phone, I'm not sure I'd retain it in my head.

Finally anything goes, fiction, non fiction, poetry, children's books whatever grabs you.

Alima Fri 28-Dec-18 14:26:12

I’m in, brilliant idea. Usually read about that number a year though this time it looks like more. Reckon I will be reading the first Shardlake book by January 1st which seems to have quite a few pages.

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Dec-18 14:44:57

Looking forward to it, TerriBull. tchsmile

Miriam Fri 28-Dec-18 15:49:48

Sounds a great idea but even though I am an avid reader I probably average about 30 per year. The only time I get to read is in bed before turning out the lights. I have certainly had some good reads this year. I do not have a Kindle and much prefer a paper book, I love the feel and the smell.