Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Fifty Books a Year (or fewer)

(804 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 01-Jan-19 07:58:29

Here it is then, GN very own 50 books a year thead, or as the title suggest for those who think that may be a tad too many for them, whatever your personal best may be after a culmination of reading for a year. Don't be daunted by the "50" benchmark, as this is the first thread of its kind, it is experimental and will evolve as it progresses.

So to recap, start off with what you are reading now, or with a new book. How often you come to the thread is up to the individual. Over on MN, some seem to up date every so often with the next few they've read. If you feel so inclined post a review or a synopsis of the book. Definitely share if it's something you've loved......or hated, or shelved hmm Reading material is not restricted to fiction, it can be anything, factual, audio, childrens, The Hungry Caterpillar or the like even!, such books count towards the 50, so who knows, you could be at that figure by the end of today grin

At the end of the year post your complete list with your best read in bold, worst in italics and mention your top five, or top book if you've just read five sad

Here's wishing those who partake a great reading year ahead in 2019.

TerriBull Tue 01-Jan-19 08:00:35

Forgot to add, I'm starting off with The Glass Room by Ann Cleeves

tanith Tue 01-Jan-19 08:23:21

I’ll give it a go but I may forget to come back ?

Mr Mercedes by Stephen King.

cavewoman Tue 01-Jan-19 08:27:17

Looking forward to the progression of this thread
TerriBull
Book No. 1 for me is 'Postcards from Greece' by Rebecca Seal.
Although it is a cookery book I will read it from cover to cover.
Happy reading everyone smile

Greyduster Tue 01-Jan-19 08:31:27

Looking forward to contributing.
‘The House of Unexpected Sisters’ by Alexander McCall Smith.

MawBroon Tue 01-Jan-19 08:37:14

Right does it count if I started before New Year?
Just finished Lethal White and loved it - a good long read.
Started the new Matthew Shardlake late last night - but I have also remembered need to reread Wuthering Heights before my Lit class next week??
One thing I am going to do which I have promised myself for years is to keep a record of each book, dates, a brief outline review/opinion and I am starting today in a lovely blank notebook with a hand embroidered cover which a friend gave me for Christmas. A friend in my book group, alas dead now, did this and had recorded every book she read going back to the 50’s!

TerriBull Tue 01-Jan-19 08:40:46

That's fine Maw start with whatever you are reading at present.

Yes Lethal White was good read it wayback last year grin

Welcome to all those who have posted so far and those hopefully who join later.

Alygran Tue 01-Jan-19 08:41:47

Starting Dan Snow’s ‘On this day in history’ today. I intend to try to read each day as it comes. Looking forward to seeing others’ recommendations too.

Jessity Tue 01-Jan-19 10:40:16

Reading ‘Miss Christie Regrets’ by Guy Fraser-Sampson, it’s a Kindle Unlimited. I’ve downloaded quite a few 99p books from the 12 days of Christmas offers.

Alima Tue 01-Jan-19 11:06:11

Started The Absolutist last night and only a few pages in. A bit behind so Shardlake will have to wait. (Had Lethal White for Christmas, look forward to that). Bit of a moment for me yesterday as I entered the last book read in my notebook which was started in 1994. Reading through my tastes have changed then gone back and so on. The last entry was Aftermath by Peter Robinson. Currently re reading his over time, twelve in so far. Happy New Year everyone!

Maggiemaybe Tue 01-Jan-19 12:06:48

I’ve just started The Road to Little Dribbling, by Bill Bryson. Loving it so far.

megan123 Tue 01-Jan-19 12:26:27

Just finished "Big Little Lies" Liane Moriarty and started "Necessary Lies" Diane Chamberlain. I too have "Wuthering Heights" on the table at the side of me.

I loved Elizabeth Strout's books, but I think I have read them all now.

goldengirl Tue 01-Jan-19 12:31:13

Book 1 is Katherine Howard: The Tragic Story of Henry VIII's Fifth Queen by Josephine Wilkinson. Can't put it down!

Nandalot Tue 01-Jan-19 13:02:09

I am reading ‘The Distant Hours’ by Kate Morton. Enjoying it so far.

matson Tue 01-Jan-19 13:13:03

My love story ..Tina Turner autobiography

SueDonim Tue 01-Jan-19 13:35:52

I'm reading Allie and Bea by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

It was a Christmas gift and is a sweet tale of an older woman and a young teenager, set in California.

Charleygirl5 Tue 01-Jan-19 13:44:12

I only read in bed at night so no way will I get through 50 books. I am enjoying books by Peter Robinson so I have almost reached the end of his collection.

Sarahmob Tue 01-Jan-19 13:59:46

My first this year is ‘Anne Boleyn - A King’s Obsession’. This is book 2 in Alison Weirs Six Tudor Queens series. Really enjoying it so far.

winterwhite Tue 01-Jan-19 14:01:40

I was given The Quest for Queen Mary by Hugo Vickers. This was Qu M, wife of George V. Book consists of James Pope Hennesy’s full notes of people he interviewed in the late 1950s for his biography. Most of them obsequious but laced with hilarious asides. Some frank all the way through. And written up in P-H’s witty, elegant style. Don’t suppose it will have many other takers, but this thread is meant to be varied...
No spoilers, please, from the Shardlake readers. (How do we avoid this?) It’s about 3 down in my pile, not counting Michelle Obama.

Alima Tue 01-Jan-19 14:10:47

I used to work for Hugo Vickers. Lovely man.

TerriBull Tue 01-Jan-19 14:54:32

winerwhite I was also given The Quest for Queen Mary, I'm looking forward to reading it soonish I've heard it's very funny, so will pop back here once I've read it.

yggdrasil Tue 01-Jan-19 16:45:06

50 in a year? I have finished the one I was reading yesterday, read another and have one waiting to start once I have watched the Chase. And that's only day 1, I haven't time to list them every day for a year :-)

Bathsheba Tue 01-Jan-19 16:49:02

I've just finished Maggie O'Farrell's I am I am I am (brilliant).
Have now started Homegoing, by Yaa Gyasi - haven't read enough to form an opinion yet, but it seems promising so far.

Mapleleaf Tue 01-Jan-19 18:08:37

I've just read "The wonky donkey" (bought for me for a laugh by DH). Hilarious, with great illustrations!
Going to start the latest Shardlake next, I think.

Bathsheba Tue 01-Jan-19 18:27:29

Mapleleaf I bought that for my little granddaughter and we have had so much fun reading it to her. She laughs her little head off all the way through!