Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Fifty Books a Year (or fewer)

(805 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 01-Jan-19 07:58:29

Here it is then, GN very own 50 books a year thead, or as the title suggest for those who think that may be a tad too many for them, whatever your personal best may be after a culmination of reading for a year. Don't be daunted by the "50" benchmark, as this is the first thread of its kind, it is experimental and will evolve as it progresses.

So to recap, start off with what you are reading now, or with a new book. How often you come to the thread is up to the individual. Over on MN, some seem to up date every so often with the next few they've read. If you feel so inclined post a review or a synopsis of the book. Definitely share if it's something you've loved......or hated, or shelved hmm Reading material is not restricted to fiction, it can be anything, factual, audio, childrens, The Hungry Caterpillar or the like even!, such books count towards the 50, so who knows, you could be at that figure by the end of today grin

At the end of the year post your complete list with your best read in bold, worst in italics and mention your top five, or top book if you've just read five sad

Here's wishing those who partake a great reading year ahead in 2019.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Jan-19 09:09:56

Love this. I'm still totting up how many I read last year but I suspect it was a lot grin

I read nine over the holidays. Mainly while eating Quality Street

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Jan-19 09:16:31

I am reading A gift from the Comfort Food Cafe, Debbie Johnson. I have read all the previous books in this series. A lovely gentle read.

dizzyblonde Wed 02-Jan-19 09:43:17

I’m reading Murder on Thames by Neil Richards. A nice cosy murder mystery.

Glenfinnan Wed 02-Jan-19 10:14:05

Reading Rebel Prince by Tom Bower just finished a lighthearted novel One Enchanted Evening by Anton Du Beck

Yvonnew1 Wed 02-Jan-19 10:17:03

I am just about to start Dead Water by Ann Cleeves. It is the 4th book in the Shetland series. You may have watched the series on TV. The books are so much better than the series. After reading the first book of the series in November I loved it so much that I bought the 6 books that make up the rest of the series

Glenfinnan Wed 02-Jan-19 10:17:05

Meant to spell Anton du Beke!

AllTheLs Wed 02-Jan-19 10:20:57

Just finished What W.H. Auden Can Do For You by Alexander McCall Smith. It didn't really help me to understand the poet's words but was a good read anyway. McCall Smith has a lovely style of writing.

Just about to start Broken Ground by Val McDermid.

Lizzies Wed 02-Jan-19 10:24:23

I am re-reading The Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnet. I am on The Ringed Castle at the moment
I first read them in college ?? years ago and I am enjoying them just as much this time around.

EthelJ Wed 02-Jan-19 10:25:57

I've just read lethal white too. I loved it . As with the others in this series it took me a while to get into it. But once I did I couldn't put it down

Patticake123 Wed 02-Jan-19 10:28:07

Milkman by Anna Burns ...... watch this space.

EthelJ Wed 02-Jan-19 10:28:50

Now I am reading a cheap book I got on the Kindle called the deaths of December which is a Christmas mystery book by Susie holliday

Overthehills Wed 02-Jan-19 10:31:04

What a lovely thread. Like Maw I was given a beautiful notebook for Christmas and was wondering what I should use it for. Writing down what I read and my thoughts on each book seems a very good idea!
At the moment I’m halfway through In My Mind’s Eye by Jan Morris and am really enjoying it.
Thankyou for all the good ideas for further reading!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 02-Jan-19 10:32:43

I've just finished The Rooster Bar by John Grisham - I found it very difficult to feel sympathetic with the main story/characters (not sure why I stuck with it) as I could hear what I'm sure would be my mother's view of their situation, "Two wrongs don't make a right" and I echo that sentiment.

jenni123 Wed 02-Jan-19 10:32:55

J D Robb.Echoes in Death

PECS Wed 02-Jan-19 10:36:04

Oh.. will take a look and get back..it is my book club tonight..just re read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings...

Teresainwirral Wed 02-Jan-19 10:36:46

Christmas at the Beach Hut by Veronica Henry.

Stansgran Wed 02-Jan-19 10:39:52

I'm reading cheap kindle buys. Generally 99p. Rather than type them out- I keep a book list and have done for many years and I'm lazy . My iPad has an app which shows them and I'll screen shot I think. That's my December read

millarhandbags Wed 02-Jan-19 10:40:50

I will read anything I can get hold of and have hundreds of loved books. Will kick off with The Keeper Of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. Beautifully written and loved every page.

Stansgran Wed 02-Jan-19 10:41:43

In case it looks a lot my dd2 did Christmas so I had nothing to do.

clareken Wed 02-Jan-19 10:41:49

Finished White Knight by Jim Butcher yesterday and started Small Favour. Both books are from his Dresden Files series, and there are a few to go. I also read What the Ladybird Heard by Julia Donaldson, to youngest DGD. I have started a list on my computer.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 02-Jan-19 10:42:07

I was a great fan of the 'Goon Show' and if any one is interested so was HRH Prince Charles. It was funny and did not stoop to the level so many entertainers appear to need to get a laugh. Consequently, and to get to the point, I am reading Spike Milligan memoirs !!!! on Kindle and find myself in tears. The laughter kind not sadness.

Bisto Wed 02-Jan-19 10:42:27

Do Kindle books count? If so I’m reading The Quartet Murders by J R Ellis, the second in the series, I finished the first yesterday and have the third queued up ready to go. Like others I’m not sure if I’ll remember to keep updating, but I’ll do my best.

teabagwoman Wed 02-Jan-19 10:43:52

Great thread. I’m reading Mary Beard’s SPQR which I can thoroughly recommend. The history of Rome comes alive and it’s really readable. I was given the latest Shardlake and Lethal White for Christmas so I’ll add to the pleas to avoid spoilers. I’m also going to get myself a notebook to record books read.

fitwell Wed 02-Jan-19 10:45:17

Reading keeper of lost things by Ruth hogan on my iPad for when I’m out and the winters by Lisa Gabrielle in book form,

CassieJ Wed 02-Jan-19 10:48:45

I can easily read 50 books a year, so will join if that's okay?

My first for the year is The Seven Sisters [ book 1 ] by Lucinda Riley