Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Fifty Books a Year (or fewer)

(805 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 01-Jan-19 07:58:29

Here it is then, GN very own 50 books a year thead, or as the title suggest for those who think that may be a tad too many for them, whatever your personal best may be after a culmination of reading for a year. Don't be daunted by the "50" benchmark, as this is the first thread of its kind, it is experimental and will evolve as it progresses.

So to recap, start off with what you are reading now, or with a new book. How often you come to the thread is up to the individual. Over on MN, some seem to up date every so often with the next few they've read. If you feel so inclined post a review or a synopsis of the book. Definitely share if it's something you've loved......or hated, or shelved hmm Reading material is not restricted to fiction, it can be anything, factual, audio, childrens, The Hungry Caterpillar or the like even!, such books count towards the 50, so who knows, you could be at that figure by the end of today grin

At the end of the year post your complete list with your best read in bold, worst in italics and mention your top five, or top book if you've just read five sad

Here's wishing those who partake a great reading year ahead in 2019.

Disgruntled Wed 02-Jan-19 10:51:07

The Brain's Way of Healing by Norman Doidge. I'm thrilled to be reading at all, and it's thanks to a combination of injections, Feldenkrais and Reiki.
Great idea for a post, thank you.

moobox Wed 02-Jan-19 10:53:08

Started The Essex serpent on New Year's Day

David1968 Wed 02-Jan-19 10:55:35

I'm reading "A Closed Casket" by Sophie Hannah. It's an (new-ish) Hercule Poirot book - which I understand was written with the permission of the Agatha Christie Trust people. As a Christie fan, I'm enjoying this book so far!

lolarabbit Wed 02-Jan-19 10:55:38

Just started the latest Ian Rankin/Rebus, 'In a House of Lies'. Haven't read one from this series for ages and feels like meeting an old friend.
I managed to complete the Goodreads reading challenge I set myself last year of 25 books, and am aiming for at least 30 this year, aided by the wonderful Overdrive app that lets me borrow from a huge selection of ebooks from the library. (I still prefer a paper book though). Looking forward to picking up some recommendations from here.

gillyg Wed 02-Jan-19 11:07:48

What a lovely idea, may I join in? I have two on the go: The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce and Dance to the Music of Time by Anthony Powell. The Music Shop took me a bit of getting in to but from the middle on, I have really enjoyed it. The Anthony Powell book is what I would call a 'slow' read, wonderfully descriptive, I don't know why I haven't found his books before. I love the idea there are 12 books in the series - lots to look forward to. I am really enjoying hearing other readers' titles, it will give me other ideas. My little plan this coming year is to haunt secondhand bookshops and search out as many of the old Virago books of my favourite writers as possible to add to my collection. I am also enjoying listening to the book discussions on backlisted pod (www.backlisted.fm), can highly recommend to other readers. Looking forward to this thread continuing and to see if I manage 50 books.

oldgaijin Wed 02-Jan-19 11:09:05

Have just read Lethal White and am about to start on the new Shardlake, once I have finished the latest Rebus investigation, House of Lies.

Judie Wed 02-Jan-19 11:11:09

Since Christmas I have read:
Thanks a lot Mr kibblewhite :rogef daltrey
Crisis:felix francis
Currently reading the reckoning:John grisham .
And an searching for the next one,I always have to have a book lined up to read before I finish one.

moleswife Wed 02-Jan-19 11:11:48

I would have liked to list a few if last year's good reads but currently I have a light read given as a gift - A Very Murderous Christmas with short stories by Ruth Rendell, Anthony Horowitz, Margery Allingham, etc an easy read for sitting in the sun!

Amry64 Wed 02-Jan-19 11:16:11

Also a supporter of the Ann Cleeves writings and read "Wild Fire" over Christmas. But sad she says this is the last of the Shetland books. I hope she will continue writing others.

harrysgran Wed 02-Jan-19 11:17:46

I have also just finished wonky donkey not sure who enjoyed it most as I read it to my youngest DGS and he is only 7 months but he seemed to enjoy it .I've just started Dawn French me you a diary you read it and also write various things about yourself luckily I have a year to read it

Amry64 Wed 02-Jan-19 11:18:12

And thank you TerriBull for the idea of 50 books. A book a week, if not more, sounds like a good aim for the year.

busyb Wed 02-Jan-19 11:18:18

I love this idea. I have already read through the messages and found some interesting book suggestions. I am an avid reader (sadly usually on my kindle) with a wide range of genres. At the moment I am halfway through a murder/thriller called After he's gone by Jane Isaac which is quite compelling.

TerriBull Wed 02-Jan-19 11:19:44

Really pleased to see the thread has taken off so well in the first couple of days and a thumbs up from head office too which is also good.

Just to reiterate, I think someone asked back in the thread, can a Kindle be included. Absolutely, not everyone reads the physical book. Anything goes really, audio, fiction, non fiction, childrens', poetry. Maybe not the Argos catalogue, or the like though grin but apart from that no hard and fast rules.

Welcome to all those who joined so far and to any prospective posters who follow.

mabon1 Wed 02-Jan-19 11:19:45

Too busy reading to waste time recording all thoughts on books I have read at the end of the year (if I get to 2020). Get a life!!!

Meriel Wed 02-Jan-19 11:23:42

I've just finished reading 'Girl in the Corner' by Amanda Prowse. Like all her books it is an interesting book. Easy to read.

Beejo Wed 02-Jan-19 11:24:46

I'll do my best to keep my list for the year, though it won't be a book a week.
Having said that, last night I finished 'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine' by Gail Honeyman which I had started reading just about a week ago.
What a book! I loved it but it may not be for everyone.
For me it was one of those books that just make me so envious of the writer's talent. I'd give a lot to be able to write something like that!

Pat1949 Wed 02-Jan-19 11:26:44

Reading the Girls by Lisa Jewell.
I started reading Lethal White, yesterday but gave up a few chapters in. Enjoyed the previous books in the series, so I'm going to restart it when I have more time.

Meriel Wed 02-Jan-19 11:28:56

Just about to start 'when Uriel Sang' by Danny Or Fuchs. The write up Sounds interesting. I'll come back later.

Bisto Wed 02-Jan-19 11:34:16

Thank you TerriBull, I do read ‘proper’ books too, but just at the moment I’ve been on quite a Kindle buying spree so have lots to catch up on.

TerriBull Wed 02-Jan-19 11:35:27

mabon, strange comments confused the thread is open to those who want to partake, if you're too busy to comment then why bother posing just to state that. I've taken the idea from MN, it's been running over there very successfully for quite a while. Clearly it's not for you, but from the feedback thus far it seems that many posters have welcomed such a thread. Are you always this sour "get a life" is such an over used lazy cliche hmm

TerriBull Wed 02-Jan-19 11:36:05

posting not posing.

jeapurs54 Wed 02-Jan-19 11:36:16

I have just started reading Sing You Home - Jodi Picoult. I have just finished reading Watching You - Lisa Jewell which I really enjoyed. I read quite a lot of books of various types but have many sitting TBR on the shelf. So my New Year Aim is to try and read more of my own books instead of Library Books. (Not a Resolution I may stick to).

Redrobin51 Wed 02-Jan-19 11:37:43

Lizzies marvellous to see someone else loves the Dorothy Dunnett books. You will also enjoy the House of Niccolo series a totally different character but still enthralling. I was such a fan I even subscribed to the Whispering Gallery Magazines. They used to have "meets" usually in Scotland where they would often visit locations and discuss aspects of the various books would have loved to have been able to go along. Many years back I was ill and asked someone to get a "big fat book" for me to read whilst laid up it was The Game of Kings and I was hooked. I usually use the library but after reading the Game of Kings started saving up to buy them so have both series
and will never part with them. I have decided to start rereading them this year which will be a long process as I am in two books club so already have two books I have to read each month.x

Annewilko Wed 02-Jan-19 11:42:20

Just finished, Splinter the Silence, Val McDermid. Have started A Faint Cold Fear, Karin Slaughter.
I too have read The Wonkey Donkey. My gs was underwhelmed but sil was crying with laughter. I think it works best with a Scottish accent.

Megs36 Wed 02-Jan-19 11:49:19

Try The Single Ladies of Jacaranda Retirement Village by Joanna Nell. Brilliant, funny and really hits the spot with those over 70 ( or in my case over 80), written by someone who really gets in the mind of us geriatrics.... Found it by accident and loved every page, disappointed when I finished it!! I could relate to lots of it although it's based in Australia and I'm in England. Old age problems and solving them are the same the world over I guess.