Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Old books

(15 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 30-Mar-19 08:03:48

I love books written in the last century. So many terrific writers have been quietly forgotten. I recently found a digital publisher which was re releasing some of the old 'golden age' writers and have been happily reading about WW2 through the eyes of women living through those times. Eg DE Stevenson or Angela Thirkell. I've been sleuthing with some excellent detectives and generally enjoying some really good but forgotten books. I feel like I'm advertising but at 99p a download I just want to pass on a good thing! Google Dean Street Press.

Susan56 Sat 30-Mar-19 08:26:09

Thank you Jane,I will definitely have a look.I love social history and especially written from a woman’s perspective.

Jane10 Sat 30-Mar-19 09:03:05

Susan56 check out the 'Mrs Tim' books by DE Stevenson. There are several. Very different from life today!

M0nica Sat 30-Mar-19 15:24:40

Try 'Project Gutenberg' Lots of books to down load and all of them FREE - except for the occasional encouragement to donate (like wikipedia des)

Helga5555 Mon 08-Jul-19 12:17:36

Pride and Prejudice

lemongrove Mon 08-Jul-19 13:03:37

Thanks Jane smile
Things soon go out of print, it’s a shame.

eazybee Mon 08-Jul-19 15:13:20

Persephone Books, if you want a beautiful copy.

M0nica Mon 08-Jul-19 16:00:17

The Carlingford series of novels by Mrs Oliphant (mid-19th century

luluaugust Tue 09-Jul-19 14:31:21

Mid 20th century how about Susan Howatch. Diary of a Provincial Lady still makes me laugh even though her way of life is now long gone.

Jeanlizzie Wed 17-Jul-19 09:48:33

Can't beat celia fremlin for a mystery
Or jean paidy for historical fiction

Jane10 Wed 17-Jul-19 10:11:34

I loved EM Delafields books especially 'Diary of a Provincial Lady'. Her war time book was very interesting.
Another war time one is 'Chelsea Concerto' by Frances Faviell. Its of its time but the detail is very striking. I was reading this at the time of the 'volunteer' thread which I think was behind my comments on the complaint about having to make too many cups of tea! The organisation and sacrifices of the volunteers mentioned in passing in this book is truly awe inspiring. It's beautifully written by a lady who was also an artist.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 17-Jul-19 10:22:52

I love Michael Gilbert's books, particularly the early ones (1947 on). They are detectives/thrillers and very well written.

Agree about 'Diary of a Provincial Lady', which is still funny in spite f being dated.

maytime2 Fri 19-Jul-19 16:00:00

Monica Dickens is also of that era, I especially enjoyed "One Pair of Hands" and "One Pair of Feet" which were autobiographical and written just before the outbreak of the 2nd World War.

Diegoma Sun 17-Nov-19 13:38:13

"Old books"---does that mean VERY old, or just as old as I my reading career has been? I recently started re-reading books by authors I enjoyed as a youngster, and am finding a whole new enjoyment in them. How shallow my comprehension was back then!

Jane10 Sun 17-Nov-19 15:27:29

I enjoy ones from about 1880 onwards plus, of course, Jane Austin and Charlotte Bronte. So it depends on how old you actually are Diegoma!