Gransnet forums

Books/book club

April book club

(17 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 15-Apr-19 09:28:31

Yes - the other one if possible so we can keep everything together

Liz46 Mon 15-Apr-19 07:19:52

I think the other one is the correct one! I can't copy and paste on this but will charge up the other computer and do it later.

Grannyjacq1 Sun 14-Apr-19 12:11:40

Sorry - didn't mean to post it here twice!

Grannyjacq1 Sun 14-Apr-19 12:09:43

Not sure which of the 2 threads about this novel to post my review on - so will do both!

Katie Munnik is clearly a very talented writer and I loved her descriptions of nature and the landscape. In many ways she reminded me of writers such as Seamus Heaney and Ted Hughes. The novel was packed with original and imaginative details and images – the sort you wish you had thought of yourself, and she certainly created in my mind a very vivid picture of the surroundings of her characters in Scotland and Canada.
I did feel that the plot itself was a disappointment – and if you are looking for a novel that offers a ‘page turning’ narrative, then you will feel a bit let down by ‘The Heart Beats in Secret’. The letter to Pidge from her gran at the beginning pulled me into the story line, but after that I found the plot very static. Yes, it was interesting to compare the experiences of three generations of mothers, but I found that – even as a daughter, mother and grandmother, I couldn’t really identify with the characters. Maybe the Canadian aspect was distancing? Spoiler alert – I felt no real emotional engagement when the baby Stanley died, and then Marie. Surely the commune was to blame in some way?
I’ll be interested to discover what other readers felt about the characters and their situations. Perhaps I’ll read it again to see if second time round I enjoy it more. As I said earlier, I loved the descriptive details of the landscape, and feel that Katie Munnik is probably a better poet than novelist at this stage in her career.

Grannyjacq1 Sun 14-Apr-19 12:08:33

Not sure whether to post my review here or on the other thread linked to this novel, so will do both!

Katie Munnik is clearly a very talented writer and I loved her descriptions of nature and the landscape. In many ways she reminded me of writers such as Seamus Heaney and Ted Hughes. The novel was packed with original and imaginative details and images – the sort you wish you had thought of yourself, and she certainly created in my mind a very vivid picture of the surroundings of her characters in Scotland and Canada.
I did feel that the plot itself was a disappointment – and if you are looking for a novel that offers a ‘page turning’ narrative, then you will feel a bit let down by ‘The Heart Beats in Secret’. The letter to Pidge from her gran at the beginning pulled me into the story line, but after that I found the plot very static. Yes, it was interesting to compare the experiences of three generations of mothers, but I found that – even as a daughter, mother and grandmother, I couldn’t really identify with the characters. Maybe the Canadian aspect was distancing? Spoiler alert – I felt no real emotional engagement when the baby Stanley died, and then Marie. Surely the commune was to blame in some way?
I’ll be interested to discover what other readers felt about the characters and their situations. Perhaps I’ll read it again to see if second time round I enjoy it more. As I said earlier, I loved the descriptive details of the landscape, and feel that Katie Munnik is probably a better poet than novelist at this stage in her career.

Joness777 Sat 13-Apr-19 08:04:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

farview Fri 12-Apr-19 16:22:39

Whilst I appreciate the writing talent of the author..it just wasn't my kind of book

Liz46 Wed 10-Apr-19 15:17:53

I finished the book today. I think to give a more considered review, I would have to read it again but I don't want to do this.

The book jumps backwards and forwards in time and characters which I found a bit difficult. If I put the book down for a day or two, I had to look back to see who I had been reading about and in what year. Also, there seemed to be random descriptions of unrelated things.

About halfway through I thought 'oh that's better' and hoped for a story that would grip me.

Without giving too much away, Felicity lives in a sort of commune for a while where the leader, Rika, was a most irritating know-all.

I am a very practical type of person and this book may have been too whimsical and disjointed for me.

Grannynise Thu 04-Apr-19 08:53:06

Received mine yesterday.

Liz46 Wed 03-Apr-19 14:20:05

Thank you. My copy has just arrived along with a pile of birthday cards (for tomorrow) so I'm a happy bunny!

Grannyjacq1 Wed 03-Apr-19 13:53:29

Mine arrived today! Really looking forward to reading it. Thanks, Gransnet - it's often great to have someone else choose the next book for you, and perhaps introduce you to an author or genre that you wouldn't necessarily choose.

gillyknits Wed 03-Apr-19 11:26:24

Thank you for my copy which arrived this morning.

Sarahmob Wed 03-Apr-19 10:13:41

Mine now arrived in this morning’s post ?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 03-Apr-19 09:23:13

We will follow up with the publisher. We will also start a separate thread for people to leave their comments and questions

Sarahmob Wed 03-Apr-19 06:50:41

I’m still waiting too.

Grannynise Tue 02-Apr-19 22:08:14

I haven't received mine yet.

Grannyjacq1 Tue 02-Apr-19 17:08:12

Anyone else still waiting for April book club novel - The Heart Beats in Secret by Katie Munnik?